Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2020, 04:54 PM   #1

Default Toad for Roadtrek Adventurous RS

I am thinking of getting a Honda Fit to use as a Toad behind my 2009 Roadtrek Adventurous RS. Any experiences or thoughts? Thanks.
Kiotejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 07:26 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I had been thinking about a toad but every time I start to get more serious about it I talk myself out of the idea!

We have had our Plateau FL going on two years now and haven't really had an issue going anywhere without a toad - also if we were really stuck someplece and needed a smaller vehicle car rentals don't cost much. I gather it can cost close toe $4-$5k to set up a small car as a toad.

But I still haven't totally given up on the idea and have thought that next time I replace our current small runaround car (VW GTI at present) maybe I should get something that at least could be towed if I wanted to.

The Honda Fit was one car I was considering - but only certain years are approved for towing and I think even then it does have to be a manual tranny.

I thought about a Jeep Wrangler, but it is getting very close to max wt for towing.

The one that I thought looked best for us was the Chev equinox 2L AWD automatic - Again, it depends on the year, but I think 2020 (2019?) is approved by GM for flat towing.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 02:46 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Motorhome.com has annual lists of vehicles that can be towed.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 02:02 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I use a Smart Car at 1800# that I flat tow behind my MH.

MLogan
2014 Smart Car
Smyrna, TN
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 10:46 AM   #5
Platinum Member

My toad is a motorcycle in a trailer.

I have a brother that uses a late 90's Chevy Tracker 4x4 2 door for a toad behind his '93 RT with the 318. It weighs in at about 26-2700 lbs. Quite capable in the back country as a bonus. These and the virtually identical Suzuki Sidekick are a bit in demand for toads.

Takes a while to climb a grade with the toad behind but he gets where he is going.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 03:21 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Default WHY???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiotejames View Post
I am thinking of getting a Honda Fit to use as a Toad behind my 2009 Roadtrek Adventurous RS. Any experiences or thoughts? Thanks.
I would definitely skip this.

I could only imagine this if you were FULL TIME?

Are you?
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 03:24 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Default That won't probably happen with the RS Adventurous

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
My toad is a motorcycle in a trailer.

I have a brother that uses a late 90's Chevy Tracker 4x4 2 door for a toad behind his '93 RT with the 318. It weighs in at about 26-2700 lbs. Quite capable in the back country as a bonus. These and the virtually identical Suzuki Sidekick are a bit in demand for toads.

Takes a while to climb a grade with the toad behind but he gets where he is going.
We're talking diesel engine power and it probably won't be anything for the Mercedes....I can imagine it's different with the gas 318.
Old 04-20-2020, 04:18 AM   #8

Almost full-time. I alternate between international travel (SE Asia, Europe, etc) 3 to 4 months at a time, then in my Roadtrek around the USA. Mostly I am wondering about the Roadtrek's (MB 2500) towing capability. Docs list 5500 lb limit so Honda is well under, but mostly just wanted to see if anyone has much advice on using the RT to tow it. Thanks.
Kiotejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 05:28 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Default What's the curb weight of the Honda Fit?

Quote:
Almost full-time. I alternate between international travel (SE Asia, Europe, etc) 3 to 4 months at a time, then in my Roadtrek around the USA. Mostly I am wondering about the Roadtrek's (MB 2500) towing capability. Docs list 5500 lb limit so Honda is well under, but mostly just wanted to see if anyone has much advice on using the RT to tow it. Thanks.
How many miles are on your 2009 Roadtrek?

It's a 3/4 ton vehicle, I think you'll be fine towing.
In fact, many people who are drawn to a vehicle like this have professions and hobbies that require towing a trailer. For them the Sprinter will also tow up to 5,000 lb, and it can be ordered with the hitch and electrical couplings right from the factory.

Review your owners manual, you're saying you can tow 5,500 pounds? I thought it was 5,000 pounds offhand.

Either way, I think your 3 litre V6 can handle it.

Chassis Dodge
Engine 3L Mercedes-Benz diesel
Power 154 hp and 280 lb-ft of torque

If it were me, I would find a way to not tow, but, if you have to, I'm sure that the diesel engine will be up to the task.
Old 04-20-2020, 12:53 PM   #10
Platinum Member

My Class B is Chevy based (RT 190P). As a van, it can tow up to 10,000 lbs. As a Roadtrek, it's more like 6K lbs (as long as there is minimal tongue weight). I occasionally tow a 2016 Chevy Sonic LTZ hatchback with 1.4L turbo engine and auto transmission. It's also available as a 4 door sedan. The picture shows it fully loaded with stuff for 6 months of snowbirding in Florida (well...7 months this year due to Covid-19). It weighs about 3,300 lbs in this case, but otherwise it's about 2,900 lbs. This car has been very reliable, considering I bought it used without knowledge of its previous service history. I would recommend this as a toad, but never buy new, as they depreciate faster than almost any car. Also a more fully equipped (more luxurious!) used model may only be about $1K more, compared to $5-6K new.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200204_193205.jpg (214.6 KB, 14 views)
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 05:38 PM   #11

Default Get a Fit!

Quote:
We have a Sprinter based Roadtrek (SS Agile) and have a Honda Fit. We love our fit. It's larger and more flexible inside than any of the other brand's models of this style and size range. The back end of our Fit "fits" as much stuff than our small SUV.
femike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 07:29 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Default What's your MPG towing the car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by femike99 View Post
We have a Sprinter based Roadtrek (SS Agile) and have a Honda Fit. We love our fit. It's larger and more flexible inside than any of the other brand's models of this style and size range. The back end of our Fit "fits" as much stuff than our small SUV.
Do you see a big drop in MPG when towing the car and do you even feel it?

How does it affect your performance on the van with acceleration and turning?
Old 04-20-2020, 08:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
Do you see a big drop in MPG when towing the car and do you even feel it?

How does it affect your performance on the van with acceleration and turning?
We don't notice that it's there in driving, but we rarely drive over 60mph. Maybe 10-20% reduction in mileage.
Old 04-20-2020, 10:29 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Default Your profile says you are "in the market" for an RV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by femike99 View Post
We don't notice that it's there in driving, but we rarely drive over 60mph. Maybe 10-20% reduction in mileage.
Do you actually have an RV right now? Or did you just recently sell the one you own and are answering my question?

Or, maybe you didn't update your profile?
OK, I see you own a SS Agile? What year is that? I presume it's a V6.

10 to 20 percent of 18 miles per gallon would be a 2 to 4 MPG hit.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
Do you actually have an RV right now? Or did you just recently sell the one you own and are answering my question?

Or, maybe you didn't update your profile?
OK, I see you own a SS Agile? What year is that? I presume it's a V6.

10 to 20 percent of 18 miles per gallon would be a 2 to 4 MPG hit.
We still own it, though have it currently on consignment. 2017 Mercedes, 2018 Roadtrek. Yes - 2 - 4 mpg loss; less on I95 (flat) more on I77 (hilly) where we do most of our travel.
Old 04-23-2020, 04:05 PM   #16
Platinum Member

JMHO, but why do people with a B want a tow? I simply unplug, if at an RV park, go, and when I come back, plug back in. This is the reason I own a B. Again, JMHO
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 04:23 PM   #17
Platinum Member

There are many reasons why people may want to tow a vehicle. I'll give you three.

1. Some don't want to unhook their Class B and travel like you do.

2. Some like to go "offroading" and need to have a more capable vehicle, like a Jeep or the before mentioned Samurai.

3. I snowbird from my house in NH to my 5th wheel in FL. I tow my car back and forth, fully stuffed with gear that doesn't fit in my Roadtrek. I use the car for everyday errands and the Roadtrek for weekday/weekend excursions.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 04:39 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Maybe you should just by two houses and an ATV
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 10:16 PM   #19
Platinum Member

We have a 2006 RS Adventurous (Sprinter/Diesel) and I found a 2005 Subaru Forester (manual trans) that was already set up as a TOAD. We have been quite satisfied with the arrangement.

Be sure you follow TOAD mfr parameters to avoid damage or voiding any warranty. Also, if you travel toll roads and utilize a toll tag, you probably need a different class transponder for when you are pulling the Toad.

We get 22+ mpg without the TOAD and about 18+ with the TOAD. Our hitch is rated for 5,000 and this rig is about 3200. The diesel hardly seems to notice it at all. We're 38' with the TOAD so due care is needed when turning or changing lanes.

While not specifically related to the TOAD, I had installed a backup camera with the screen in the rear view mirror. this can be activated while driving and provides a good view of the TOAD and the adjacent traffic lanes.

I have heard that you should never back up with a flat towed TOAD. So plan your entrance and exit to avoid having to unhook.

The only equipment we needed to get was a Brake Buddy and a Towbar. Got a Roadmaster Sterling. We also added a battery tender to keep the TOAD battery up while in tow. Good used equipment can be found on Craigslist or Ebay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Toad Rig2.jpg (94.7 KB, 10 views)
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 07:02 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Default New Toad

You may want to check out my recent Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Toadification. I retired the forester and the Jeep is an excellent (albiet more expensive) upgrade.

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...ion-12307.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0609211230a_HDR.jpg (393.8 KB, 2 views)
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote