Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2020, 11:23 PM   #1
Silver Member

Arrow Tolls, weigh stations, etc

Happy Memorial Day weekend all!

I'm getting ready for my first big trip in BamBam, from CO to OH, to NC, to FL, to TX. Yippee for 3 weeks on the road.

I realize I have less knowledge about how the class B van/RVs play out on toll roads, weigh station requirements, etc. When you pull into rest stops do you use truck parking or passenger? I am hoping that the road signage will be useful in helping to determine what is needed.

Do you all have any good tips on this topic, things to watch out for, etc?

--b
BrianCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:38 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Weigh stations are only for commercial trucks.

Parking... depends. At rest areas you should be able to use the auto side. Other places, like museums and tourist attractions, you might have to use the RV area because you're over-height and/or over-length. It would be good to double check your height and write it on a paper stuck to the dashboard. Sometimes you have to make a decision in a hurry. Don't rely on manufacturer specs, because some roof gizmos may be options or previous owner add-ons and not included in the height spec.

In the current COVID situation, many fast food restaurants are still drive-through only, and you're probably too tall. You will have to use their app to order online with curbside pick-up. I hadn't thought about that until a couple of days ago when I was out and about in the Roadtrek and had a hankering for a McMuffin…

Tolls... Good news is most places you're just like any other two-axle vehicle. Tolls can still add up, though. Unless you're in a hurry, set your nav system to avoid tolls. I don't mind them for bridges and tunnels, but I really hate paying just to drive on a road.

Happy travels!
Old 05-24-2020, 01:13 AM   #3
Platinum Member

For tolls, consider the E-Pass Xtra, make sure you get the Xtra, from Central Fla Expressways, aka cfx. This is the only tolling account that is good at all tolling agencies in all of the EZ Pass states as well as all of Florida. An Epass from other states will not work on most Florida toll roads.

The Epass Xtra will allow for discounted tolling in most areas versus cash tolls. At the current time FLA has suspended cash collection in favor of bill to tag, they will bill you for the higher cash price and add another fee for billing.

If you attach a credit card to it it will automatically replenish your account.

https://www.cfxway.com/e-pass-xtra/

Have fun. BTW, summer has started down here, I'm bailing out to MN on Tues followed by WA and hopefully BC for three months.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 02:44 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Others have offered sound advice. Not really much to worry about with a "b" except for height and ground clearance. Otherwise, treat it like a regular car. You can get the recommened toll card, but so far we have only paid cash at toll booths or gotten bills in the mail for the few toll roads/bridges we've gone on that did not have a booth to pay at.

In NY state, we traveled a partial distance on a toll road at regular car fees. Then the next toll station on the same road charged us nearly double because we were over 7 feet tall. Go figure.

Bottom line is don't worry and enjoy!
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 02:48 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Some places you can’t just wait for a bill. On California’s cashless toll roads you have 5 days to go to the website, enter your tag number, and pay your toll.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 02:49 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Some places you can’t just wait for a bill. On California’s cashless toll roads you have 5 days to go to the website, enter your tag number, and pay your toll.
Yes, be vigilant in CA. We had no idea how the tolls worked there. We went across the Golden Gate bridge. Then we found out a few week later we owed for a toll and late fee.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 03:00 AM   #7
Silver Member

All good stuff. Many thanks to you all

Best,

--b
BrianCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 12:28 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Yes, tolls are one of the downsides of our system of federalism. It would be so simple if there was one system with one transponder that worked in all states. But alas! each state decides whether to contract with EZPass, the largest system, or go with the low bid.

Entering a toll road is a bit like going to the doctor. You know you're going to get a bill, but you're signing a blank check regarding the amount. Rowiebowie is right- you just have to swallow it and enjoy the trip.

I'm spoiled here in AZ. We don't have a single toll road, bridge, or tunnel anywhere in the state. We took a driving trip last summer in a rental car from Washington, DC to the Maritimes up the coast and returning through QC, NY, and PA. We paid close to $200 in tolls all told. Our time was limited, so we did not look for alternate routes. I grew up throwing dimes and quarters into a basket on I-95 in Maryland, so it was a shock to return and find myself throwing tens and twenties!
Old 05-24-2020, 05:20 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
Yes, be vigilant in CA. We had no idea how the tolls worked there. We went across the Golden Gate bridge. Then we found out a few week later we owed for a toll and late fee.
Golden Gate is a Toll Bridge?

We drove up California coast this time last year and crossed that bridge. Never saw a toll sign the whole trip. There are probably warrants out for my arrest somewhere.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 05:50 PM   #10
Platinum Member

There are signs directing you to the website to pay the toll on all toll roads and bridges in California. I had seen them often, but my first direct experience came on a recent group trip involving two rented vans. One of them used a toll road twice daily, racking up almost $60 in tolls over 4 days. The one day they both took the road in tandem, the second one didn't get a bill. The vans were identical and the plates were only one digit apart, so I'm guessing the person that processed the photos thought it was a duplicate.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:37 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I'm guessing the person that processed the photos thought it was a duplicate.
"Person"?? Surely you jest.

Your theory makes sense, though.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:11 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
"Person"?? Surely you jest.

Your theory makes sense, though.
Silly me! I thought a human might at least review the photos after being flagged by the computer.