Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2019, 07:37 PM   #21
Bronze Member

These threads seem to popup on one RV forum or another on a regular bases. I have three must have tools with me, a cell phone, credit card and AAA RV roadside service. Add to that tools for what you really think you would be willing to do, know how and have space to store. When I changed from a slide in camper and pickup to a B, I eliminated 3/4s of the stuff I had been carrying for years and never used. Tools that I had used at least once in the last 5 years I kept plus a few that just seemed like I should. The tool I use the most, a 10 way screw driver.
JebTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:32 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JebTN View Post
I have three must have tools with me, a cell phone, credit card and AAA RV roadside service.
A reasonable position, except that AAA RV is the worst possible choice for RV roadside service. Most money, worst benefits. There are several detailed threads on this topic.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:13 PM   #23
Silver Member

Can’t go wrong with this fuse kit: MulWark 120pc Assorted Standard... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077RXSWVH...p_mob_ap_share
Van_Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:29 PM   #24
Bronze Member

The Harbor Freight 100 piece bit set with a 1/4" drive is useful to have with you. Also the hose splice kit. I carry some upper and lower radiator hoses and a fuel filter and large and small vice grips. Recently added a lithium powered impact wrench. Great for those lug nuts, and also a torque wrench. I carry a mat to lay on and other parts that would cause our trip to be delayed just waiting for a part. Having been to Yellowstone 16 times has taught us to have spares that can cause major delays.
vwmaniaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:01 PM   #25
Site Team

If I were only allowed to own one hand tool, it would be Vise Grips.
If I were only allowed to own one power tool, it would be a Dremel.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:20 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
If I were only allowed to own one hand tool, it would be Vise Grips.
If I were only allowed to own one power tool, it would be a Dremel.

Agree on the Vise Grip, although a good waterpump pliers (channellock) might also be in the running.

I don't carry any power tools with us. The closest would be a multimeter and a soldering iron. I can't think of any power tool that would be worth the space to me.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:42 PM   #27
Bud
Platinum Member

IF one took, a Multitool it seems to me.

booster, Dremels are kinda small it seems to me (repeating myself).
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 03:08 PM   #28
Platinum Member

I carry a Dremel and have for quite a few years of RV'ing. cutoff wheels and carbide burrs to use with it have often proven handy.

As well as emergency use, I am getting into a bit of wood carving as a hobby to pursue both at home and away - mostly with knives, but I can see the Dremel fitting in there too!

Brian.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 08:48 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Default Electric schematic

I consider this laminated piece of paper an important “soft tool” in my tool box. I just rewired power to my BlueSea ammeter and updated the electrical diagram. Most of important diagrams, plumbing or electrical I keep in the van, they are priceless if needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01350.jpg (152.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01351.JPG (336.3 KB, 7 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:11 AM   #30
Platinum Member

Good point. I keep a full set of manuals with diagrams and schematics on my laptop.
Old 12-27-2022, 10:48 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Default Late to the discussion, but FWIW...

Our boat was a mixture of SAE and Metric. We solved that by having a set of tools that remained with it. Power tools were transported on an as needed upgrade/repair basis.

When we started racing, the car had the same mix of SAE and Metric, but rather than build a 3rd set of tools, we identified all those we'd need at the track (think boondocking).

All the tools I have now that are Metric, are all clearly marked with red tape - or a red paint stripe on the handle, or a red dot on sockets. Those we'd need for a race weekend, got an additional yellow band to quickly grab those we'd want to take. Pretty durable paint can be found in paint sticks; easy to use and no brushes to toss.

Cheers - Jim
phantomjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 03:55 PM   #32
Platinum Member

A toque with a LED light is multi purpose and is especially handy for making repairs in tight dark spaces that require two hands.
Sensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 12:36 PM   #33
Platinum Member

I carry a canvas doctor case which Advanced RV gives you with the van. I know what is in it but I also have my own set of tools I've collected over the years in a carrier which I probably have no idea what I have other than screw drivers and pliers. I've haven't used either in a long while traveling.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 07:32 PM   #34
Platinum Member

We carry a small tool kit that hat lives in the van with a selection of tools that we have fine tuned over the years. Basically hammer, socket set, screw drivers, vice grips, channel locks, adjustable wrench, electrical tape, zip ties, assorted hose clamps, multi meter, some spare stranded electrical wire (6’+/- 14 g), spare fuses. This has done us well for several vehicles all over the world and you can just about do anything you need in a pinch.

I also often carry a 18 v power drill and drills and screw driver bits in North America - a nice to have but not a necessity. Oh and I have a torque wrench and separate breaker bar that lives in the van for the wheel nuts.
Formerly - 2007 Pleasure Way Plateau (06 Sprinter T1N), 1992 VW Eurovan Westfalia Hightop
Long ago - 1969 VW Westfalia & 1973 GMC Motorhome
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 09:36 PM   #35
Bronze Member

My tool kit includes a code reader in case of a check engine light.

https://www.obdlink.com/products/obdlink-mxp/
Old 01-01-2023, 09:51 PM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeKG View Post
My tool kit includes a code reader in case of a check engine light.
Good point.

As a Sprinter owner, I felt I had little choice but to carry an entire dedicated Windows laptop with the whole Star Diagnostic system installed. Of course, that was in addition to the interface box and associated cables.

It was ridiculous, but after our first emissions-related "n-starts remaining" event, it was the only way to somewhat reduce the anxiety of driving a DEF science experiment. I wish I could say I never used it, but that was by no means true.

I am not going to miss Sprinter ownership.
Old 01-07-2023, 07:37 PM   #37
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Good point.

As a Sprinter owner, I felt I had little choice but to carry an entire dedicated Windows laptop with the whole Star Diagnostic system installed. Of course, that was in addition to the interface box and associated cables.

It was ridiculous, but after our first emissions-related "n-starts remaining" event, it was the only way to somewhat reduce the anxiety of driving a DEF science experiment. I wish I could say I never used it, but that was by no means true.

I am not going to miss Sprinter ownership.

I empathize with you about the many Sprinter problems and failures. How many miles are on your vehicle?
Old 01-07-2023, 09:17 PM   #38
Platinum Member

I typically do all my own repairs but I'm realistic about what I'm going to tackle on the chassis while on the road and away from a complete set of tools. Most chassis repairs these days involve a significant amount of disassembly that I know I'm not going to try to do on the side of the road. I'm going to call for a tow and use my credit card to get a hotel room while it's being repaired. So I don't carry many tools geared towards chassis/engine repairs. Vehicles these days are reliable enough that I'm much more likely to be fixing something on the house side of things. Loose screws, replacing a water pump, tracing an electrical problem, snugging up a hose clamp, etc. I designed robotic equipment for a living and always carried a small tool pouch with me on factory installation trips. I winnowed it down over the years to just the essentials and after retirement that pouch now goes with us in the van. The tools I used in my job are pretty much the same I'm likely to need in the van: a few flat & philips screwdrivers, a multimeter, a small adjustable wrench, flashlight, etc. I also carry a small tire inflator, a tire plug kit, and a pair of channel lock pliers big enough to get the cap off a sewer dump. I'm leaning towards starting to carry a 12V stubby impact wrench. It's powerful enough for lug nuts but I also use long lag screws as tent pegs for our Moonshade so I can use the impact to drive/remove those from the ground. It doesn't take up much more room than the hammer I'd carry for normal tent stakes. Plus it shares the battery with my portable tire inflator. I'm on the fence about it though - it's extra weight and space for what's really just a luxury item.

It's a bit different when a trip involves offroading in our side by side. For that I carry everything but the kitchen sink, including extra parts like tie rods and drive shafts. Trail side repairs are the rule rather than the exception and there's rarely an option to call for a tow.
Punkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 02:05 PM   #39
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkinhead View Post
I typically do all my own repairs but I'm realistic about what I'm going to tackle on the chassis while on the road and away from a complete set of tools. Most chassis repairs these days involve a significant amount of disassembly that I know I'm not going to try to do on the side of the road. I'm going to call for a tow and use my credit card to get a hotel room while it's being repaired. So I don't carry many tools geared towards chassis/engine repairs. Vehicles these days are reliable enough that I'm much more likely to be fixing something on the house side of things. Loose screws, replacing a water pump, tracing an electrical problem, snugging up a hose clamp, etc. I designed robotic equipment for a living and always carried a small tool pouch with me on factory installation trips. I winnowed it down over the years to just the essentials and after retirement that pouch now goes with us in the van. The tools I used in my job are pretty much the same I'm likely to need in the van: a few flat & philips screwdrivers, a multimeter, a small adjustable wrench, flashlight, etc. I also carry a small tire inflator, a tire plug kit, and a pair of channel lock pliers big enough to get the cap off a sewer dump. I'm leaning towards starting to carry a 12V stubby impact wrench. It's powerful enough for lug nuts but I also use long lag screws as tent pegs for our Moonshade so I can use the impact to drive/remove those from the ground. It doesn't take up much more room than the hammer I'd carry for normal tent stakes. Plus it shares the battery with my portable tire inflator. I'm on the fence about it though - it's extra weight and space for what's really just a luxury item.

It's a bit different when a trip involves offroading in our side by side. For that I carry everything but the kitchen sink, including extra parts like tie rods and drive shafts. Trail side repairs are the rule rather than the exception and there's rarely an option to call for a tow.
yes I also carry the most used tools. since my 1st motorcycle they come w/ tool kits under the seat. additionally the tools won't be used if you don't have replacement parts. I carry the basics like drive belt, radiator hoses, fuses, air compressor ect. when I was towing w/ the 1500 conversion which has alot more room, I'd carry a complete trailor axel, allready assembled hubs, floor jack ect.

Tags
fix, flats, holes, tape aaa, tools