Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2012, 03:48 PM   #1

Default tow Prius with Sprinter RV?

I have a year old Great West Van Sprinter (mercedes). Can I tow my Prius with it? If so, how do I set up the towing rig?

Clyde
clydemorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: tow Prius with Sprinter RV?

From what I've seen on the web, a Prius can't be flat towed.

Looks like you'd need to haul it on a trailer...........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Do not flat tow Prius.JPG (27.6 KB, 1023 views)
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:04 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I guess it doesn't matter what tows it, it has to be towed a certain way and that should be answered by Toyota. As for whether the Sprinter is capable - yes. It is under 5,000 lbs.

I have no plans to tow but if I did I certainly would select and buy a car that could be towed all four wheels down. I've seen two wheel dollies and trailers. That is way more hassle than it's worth in towing with a Sprinter Class B, IMO.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:46 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Funny you should ask. I just completed towing our 2010 Prius with our 2006 RoadTrek RS Adventurous. We towed it 1200 miles using a U Haul vehicle tow dolly. We were in the process of moving it one way to our Florida home from KC. We decided to tow it rather then drive two vehicles because we felt we could make better time. On long hauls, my wife and I trade off driving in two hour shifts. If we were each driving a vehicle, we did not think that we could make the distance in as short of time. Short summary....it was doable but no fun. Prius are heavy, about 3500 pounds. Add on the tow dolly and you are at around 40000 pounds or near the 5000 pound towing limit. Acceleration was severly compromised as was braking. We choose a route that avoided the slightly larger mountains between Nashville and Chattanooga, but hill climbing was compromised as well. The turning radius was compromised as well. Since the wheels on the tow dolly turn, to back it up it is like backing up a wagon, as opposed to backing up a trailer, much more difficult.

Our mileage suffered. We have averaged 22 mpg over the last 15,000 miles in the Sprinter. The added weight and friction took our mileage down to 17. With the tremendous fuel efficiency of the Prius, and the cost of the dolly, it actually cost us money to NOT drive the Prius.
On a positive note, after we took the Prius off the dolly it drove just fine...no ill side effects.

In summary, if you have a need such as ours, which was to reposition the car, you should consider it. If you are thinking of using it as a Towed, I would not recommend it.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #5

Thanks for the great information about towing my Prius! Very helpful.

Clyde
clydemorris is offline   Reply With Quote