Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2021, 12:25 AM   #21

I've got a 2001 Popular 200 that I got from my father (I'm 53 so, you know, neither of us are kids ). Chevy base.

He had a hitch installed to cart his electric scooter/wheelchair. I've used it for my thule platform bike rack for regular & ebikes. Taken it on a dozen trips and never had an issue. I'm not sure if it's wired for lights though. (I had a receiver installed on my mercedes for the bike rack that I didn't have wired.)

The rig has a 454 in it and I wouldnt think twice about pulling a few thousand pounds (although, obviously, i'd need to do a bit more diligence on the hitch before doing so.)

I have the idea that your question has already been answered and I'm likely just adding noise at this point . . . good luck on your quest!
jkbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 12:39 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Default Trailer hitch

My 1997 RT has a hitch.
I have pulled boats and trailers with motorcycles.
Never had an issue.
My RT also has the genie down there.
I would think it should not be a problem.
I did install airbags snd better shocks on my RT.
I also added 2” spacers on the back wheels to get rid of sway.
Never an issue.
Some shops may not want to spend the time trying to hunt down a model that old? As it might not show up on their computers??? Might have to look around abut to find one?
Happy trails
Eddie
Eraygunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 04:11 PM   #23

They do make a tow hitch for it it's just for a Dodge ram van not roadtrek it's a Curt. Hardest part was removing the storage compartment. Crazy black stuff all over it very very tough.. then I took it down there they added a heavy duty Curt.. I came home matched the box back up and trimmed it and resealed the storage box.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210212_090831_652.jpg (207.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210212_090843_536.jpg (170.3 KB, 11 views)
matthewdelaossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 04:12 PM   #24

I used the duct tape underneath to pre fabricate the storage box then I sealed it with some heavy duty glue. When I get home I'll send more pictures of the storage box from the inside and outside of it done
matthewdelaossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 03:30 PM   #25

Thanks for all the help folks. We've switched gears a bit and decided to not travel with as much extra stuff, so have gone away from the cargo box thoughts. There is an existing custom hitch of sorts mounted (welded/bolted) to the bumper framework. I had it load tested for a swing away frame with a couple of bikes on it and all is good with that load. Saves a lot of unnecessary muckin about.
B-lieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 01:01 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Did you test static load or dynamic load? The back of a van, especially an extended van with a long rear overhang, bounces quite a bit, and dynamic forces can be quite high.
Old 02-15-2021, 03:48 PM   #27

Hi Jon
It was a simple static test. I would be concerned regarding dynamic load if I was going to put a cargo box on the frame and store the generator, gas, propane tank etc. in it. You're right about the bounce. We spent 7 weeks in NL in 2019 and the roads there leave a lot to be desired. Lol. What we have planned is a total weight of approx. 125lbs which I feel really secure with. I'll also secure the bikes further with a ratchet strap through the spare tire frame. When the time comes (post covid) to really extend the travels and more severe boondocking, I'll pull the trunk and have a typical hitch installed and then reconfigure the trunk back in. I'll never be without that trunk. It's awesome.
Cheers
John
B-lieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 11:43 AM   #28
Platinum Member

Default Crooked Hitch?

Hi:

I have had a Stowaway Cargo box on my 2016 PW lexor for about 4 years. It has always been mounted on the hitch. It has always seemed to point down. I am trying to get it level. Think the hitch may be bent?

This is a Curt class 3 hitch. Rated TW is 500lbs. I have never placed more than 100lbs in the box. I think this hitch may be bent?

I am considering replacing it with a class 4 from the Ram. The OEM is rated as a class 4 but has the same #s as the Curt class 3? I do not think a Curt class 4 would fit because of the Pleasure Way build out under the floor. Battery box etc.

Any suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220626_130825502_HDR.jpg (268.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220626_130746033.jpg (284.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220626_130733013.jpg (257.0 KB, 1 views)