Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2021, 03:37 PM   #1

Default trailer hitch on a Roadtrek

Has anyone ever had a hitch installed on an older Roadtrek? I've crushed my eyeballs out on multiple forums looking. I imagine the issue is likely the underfloor trunk. I think Roadtrek had a custom hitch available but that route for info is pretty much shot. When I call hitch shops, I can hear them running away as I'm talking to them. I have a 1990 Popular and any info/help is greatly appreciated.
B-lieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:35 PM   #2
Bronze Member

My previous 1997 Dodge Roadtrek 190 had a hitch so I know it is possible. I used it a couple times to move a trailer but never used it on a trip.
Bert M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:40 PM   #3
Platinum Member

My 1999 Roadtrek 170 has a hitch, but I have not yet tried to use it. I am not sure when or how it was installed. It has what I believe is called a proportional brake controller, which I think was installed by the previous owner, so he might have installed the hitch as well.
RT-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:09 PM   #4

Hey thanks Bert and RT-NY. Do your RTs have an undermount spare or the underfloor trunk? I believe the biggest issue with the underfloor trunk like mine, is there's no room on either side to get mounting brackets up on the main frame unless you cut the trunk back. Not sure how major of a job that is.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:50 PM   #5
Platinum Member

My RT 170 has the continental spare tire mounting. And I did not know that there was such a thing as an underfloor trunk. The trunk space on my RT is the (relatively small) space under the bed to the floor of the van. Do you have a picture of your trunk? I'm having trouble visualizing it.
Old 02-05-2021, 01:43 AM   #6

My spare is mounted outside, so the trunk is full width underfloor. I think that some of the later models have the spare mounted under the floor. Problem with mine is that it's tough to get a hitch anchored to a reasonable mount without reducing the trunk size.
Sorry, have to figure out how to attach pics
Old 02-05-2021, 01:57 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-lieve View Post
My spare is mounted outside, so the trunk is full width underfloor. I think that some of the later models have the spare mounted under the floor. Problem with mine is that it's tough to get a hitch anchored to a reasonable mount without reducing the trunk size.
Sorry, have to figure out how to attach pics

There has been quite a bit of talk about hitches for the Dodges on the old Yahoo board, which is now on another host since Yahoo got out of the email lists.

https://roadtrekkers.groups.io/g/RT

IIRC the Dodges with the trunk had width clearance issues to the frame mounts of standard hitches so Roadtrek had a special one made which is no longer available.

I do think some have had a custom hitch place make and install a hitch though, and they often are pretty reasonable in cost.

You may want to post the question with model over there and see what comes up. There may even be some pix as all of them also moved over from Yahoo.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 02:00 AM   #8

Pics, sorry I'm such a newby[ATTACH]trunk2.jpg[/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trunk1.jpg (146.1 KB, 29 views)
Old 02-05-2021, 02:03 AM   #9

Thanks Booster. I will check that out. Cheers
Old 02-05-2021, 02:05 AM   #10

Pics, sorry I'm such a newby[ATTACH]Attachment 11106[/ATTACH]
Old 02-05-2021, 04:21 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Is that original? My RT and the others that I have seen are like the image below, so that the van floor in the back is undisturbed (though mine also has a kind of headboard behind the bed / rear seat that the back cushion rests against). With your setup I see that installing a hitch would be a problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC07456-1024x683.jpg (141.3 KB, 24 views)
Old 02-05-2021, 12:44 PM   #12
Platinum Member

And here, as booster suggested, is a link to that old board that at least mentions the issue.If you search around there, I am sure you can find the messages it refers to:

https://roadtrekkers.groups.io/g/RT/...0,2,0,52133469
Old 02-05-2021, 02:41 PM   #13

Yep, it's original. They show a pic in their 1990 brochure. I'll slide over to roadtrekkers and see what pops up over there. Thanks for all the help guys. Cheers
Old 02-11-2021, 04:30 PM   #14
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-lieve View Post
Has anyone ever had a hitch installed on an older Roadtrek? I've crushed my eyeballs out on multiple forums looking. I imagine the issue is likely the underfloor trunk. I think Roadtrek had a custom hitch available but that route for info is pretty much shot. When I call hitch shops, I can hear them running away as I'm talking to them. I have a 1990 Popular and any info/help is greatly appreciated.
GREETINGS & I hope this helps. I have a 2002 Dodge 3500 190 P.
My experience is as follows. I ordered a hitch from Amazon and when it came it was for a Hyundai! I had to return it. Then I went to Etrailer and ordered a hitch which my sons and I installed in less than an hour. Bolted right up, works great. Below is the link to take you to that hitch. You can search their sight for the exact model for your rig. Customer service, quality of the hitch, and great price mean I would only go here for a hitch in the future.

https://www.etrailer.com/p-75140.html

All the best. Stay safe,
Steve
sehsteve@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 04:31 PM   #15
Bronze Member

Have you contacted etrailer.com? In the past, I dealt with them and they were extremely helpful.
habsfan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 04:40 PM   #16

Default Doable

Is what I did was I took out all the rivets to the storage box and took it down and had them install a heavy duty tow hitch. There was space enough for me to cut the storage box into a perfect square and slide it back up and reconnect it to the hole in the floor. It looks great and I still have storage for my chairs and I have a tow hitch. 1992 190 roadtrek. I can add pictures if needed
matthewdelaossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 05:39 PM   #17

I got. A hitch put on our 94C 210P at a local hitch shop
Canscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 06:14 PM   #18

I installed a hitch on my 1997 road trek 170, dodge 2500 B . I bought it from hiddenhitch.com.
eieiooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 06:25 PM   #19

I have a 1997 PW on a Dodge 3500 and also had a hard time finding the correct hitch. I decided to put a receiver on the front of the van so I could mount a bike rack; wanted to keep the back open to use as an emergency exit if needed. Yes, I looked at all the swing away racks but with the spare tire mounted on back it made more sense to me to but hitch on front.

I found a welding shop that installed a 2" receiver, that I had purchased online, to the front bumper and frame with some sturdy cross bracing. Bike rack mounted perfectly and have had no issues and there was no real view restrictions out of windshield; a bike seat is in lower right view which could certainly be removed if ever an issue.

I am sure you could do the same for rear trailer hitch if you can't find anything that is bolt on ready; I also could not find anything that fit the rear of 1997 Dodge. I just used a 12" long 2" receiver and had no problems with the welders.
Good luck.
akroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 08:08 PM   #20

Default No commercial hitch - weld my own

We also have a 1990 Roadtrek (Dodge B250 chassis) with that wonderful trunk. Sad that so many RT owners do NOT have a trunk -- it is so useful and amazing large.

Anyway - as far as I have determined, nobody has a commercial hitch for this vehicle. No, not even eTrailer, who has a hitch for everything. Two things I have considered:
(1) Replace the rear bumper with a step-bumper, which would allow the attachment of a tow ball. As far as I can tell, that bumper would bolt on as a replecement.
(2) Weld a sub-frame on the existing rear bumper, with fitting for a ball (or I could weld on a receiver, I suppose).

I'm planning on option #2 when the weather gets warmer. Since I plan to tow only light-weight trailers, such as a kayak/bicycle trailer, this Class-I style hitch is fine.

Best of luck with a solution!
tbroad is offline   Reply With Quote