Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2016, 02:46 AM   #41
Platinum Member

The direction MB has in Europe apparently:

Mercedes-Benz Shows Off Camper Vans in Germany – News – Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog
Marley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:26 PM   #42
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemNeye77 View Post
I also want something small in fact, I want to convert my 2010 Chrysler town and country. The Jucy RV rental is the perfect setup but I can not find where or how they actually convert them. Might be a trade secret but was hoping someone might know and share. SHhh I won't tell.
Thanks for any help.
GTRV could probably make a poptop camper for you. They make them on the Toyota Sienna, etc.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:57 PM   #43

I've owned Sprinters, never again. I now own a ProMaster3500, excellent vehicle. 2014, 34k miles, bought it new.
superplumber_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 11:44 PM   #44
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superplumber_mi View Post
I've owned Sprinters, never again. I now own a ProMaster3500, excellent vehicle. 2014, 34k miles, bought it new.
What years were the Sprinters and what problems did you encounter?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:16 AM   #45
Platinum Member

I have a 2014 Promaster, only problem was the drivers mirror wouldn't retract all the time, the dealer replaced the mirror assembly. Other than that, be prepared to pay an exorbitant service costs; $39 for an oil change! Unheard of! I imagine sprinters cost less.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:25 AM   #46

[QUOTE=cruising7388;57005]What years were the Sprinters and what problems did you encounter?

Both were 2007.
Replaced turbo's, computers, oil pump, injectors, constantly in limp mode. In 2 years I spent $28,000 on repairs. Never again.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:49 AM   #47
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman View Post
I have a 2014 Promaster, only problem was the drivers mirror wouldn't retract all the time, the dealer replaced the mirror assembly. Other than that, be prepared to pay an exorbitant service costs; $39 for an oil change! Unheard of! I imagine sprinters cost less.
I pay $25 for routine oil change at the local MB dealer, so what is your point, ups, forgot to mention that my better half pays the remaining $275 which includes free coffee, Keurig like.

George.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:28 AM   #48

I use Conklin oil products, full synthetic oil and gas treatment. I change my own oil and filter. Filter changes every 5000 miles, oil at 15k.
They have replaced the battery, headrest & nav/radio plus radiator under warranty. I opted for an additional 5 yr/100k bumper to bumper warranty this year for $3000. After spending so much on Sprinters for maintenance I wanted factory warranty.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:10 PM   #49
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superplumber_mi View Post
I use Conklin oil products, full synthetic oil and gas treatment. I change my own oil and filter. Filter changes every 5000 miles, oil at 15k.
They have replaced the battery, headrest & nav/radio plus radiator under warranty. I opted for an additional 5 yr/100k bumper to bumper warranty this year for $3000. After spending so much on Sprinters for maintenance I wanted factory warranty.
What happened with the radiator?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:46 PM   #50
Platinum Member

A few years ago, I thought along the same lines, what to get. Here are my two centavos:

If you want to have an awesome van that has built in four wheel drive, you can spent $65k for a Sprinter 3500 van. They are reliable, but when they break, you pay Mercedes prices to fix them.

If you want something decent, a Ford Transit van has a lot of nice features, such as being a gasser with decent fuel economy from the EB engine, and because Ford is so popular, you can find a lot of accessories for your upfit. Plus, Ford dealerships are everywhere.

ProMasters are not bad as well. They have one edge over the Transits, and that is the few inches of width. However, they have less ground clearance, which can be a big issue.

I decided for my SMB build (which never happened, due to job changes), a Ford Transit because it had ground clearance for an Onan generator and the tanks, the EB engine which is fun to drive, and if it broke down in deep banjo country, there is likely a Ford dealer nearby. However, everyone has different needs, and a ProMaster or Sprinter may just be what you want.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:16 PM   #51
Platinum Member

Love our Promaster build and the $28 oil changes.
AlexJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:45 PM   #52

Default ProMaster

The radiator had a leak. I've replaced the windshield due to a stone.