Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2016, 01:59 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default transmission pan drain plug

Hi guys, i have an older 1997 dodge roadtrek, and I try to keep up to date on all the fluid changes, the only one I really have a hard time with is the tranny fluid change, my current pan has no drain bolt, so, I have to remove all the bolts and drop the pan each and every time. I researched everywhere I could think of, and no one sells a pan with a drain bolt installed, so I was thinking on my next fluid change, to take the pan to have drain bolt installed, I am not to good at welding so I will, leave this to a professional, I wanted to ask if anyone here has done the same, or had experience with doing this, it would be great to hear from you,,,, thanks,,,,
peppster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:05 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppster66 View Post
Hi guys, i have an older 1997 dodge roadtrek, and I try to keep up to date on all the fluid changes, the only one I really have a hard time with is the tranny fluid change, my current pan has no drain bolt, so, I have to remove all the bolts and drop the pan each and every time. I researched everywhere I could think of, and no one sells a pan with a drain bolt installed, so I was thinking on my next fluid change, to take the pan to have drain bolt installed, I am not to good at welding so I will, leave this to a professional, I wanted to ask if anyone here has done the same, or had experience with doing this, it would be great to hear from you,,,, thanks,,,,
I have put drain plugs in every tranny pan in every vehicle we have owned for over 30 years. You can buy kits to do it, but I don't recommend it, as they are just a bulkhead threaded fitting and nut. The can come loose when you remove the center plug. I usually just either get one of the kits, or buy a brass reducing bushing and silver braze it to the pan after I cut a hole for it. You can also use a steel plug and take it in and have it welded (Tig only, no wire or stick welding) by a good welder. I like the brass as it will not rust or corrode and be hard to remove the drain plug in it.

If you have a fabic mat type filter, you will still want to remove the pan to change the filter every third fluid change or so. We change our fluid quite often, usually in the 20k mile range on most of the vehicles.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:44 AM   #3
Platinum Member

for a "common" tranny, your local speed shop or online catalog house will have regular and extra capacity pans with drains- the extra will have a pick up adapter as well- along with the filter.

Mine have been moroso- for chev trannys and usually about $100

a work around is to suction the fluid out the dipstick tube.

it is a 1/2 measure, but better than nothing- quick and easy

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote