Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2015, 10:09 AM   #21
Platinum Member

Default Re: Travato screen door

It's a video that shows someone unpacking a long box and then beginning to assemble what looks to be a screen frame.

I thought it might give an idea of the size and handling of the pieces involved. It does not show a van.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:43 PM   #22

Default Re: Travato screen door

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
It's a video that shows someone unpacking a long box and then beginning to assemble what looks to be a screen frame.

I thought it might give an idea of the size and handling of the pieces involved. It does not show a van.
That is so funny! That is actually me in that video. That product is a ramp screen (with shade) for the back of a toy hauler. There are some OEMs who plan to put that ramp screen product in the back of Class B's so maybe somebody wants to try that as a DIY project as well.

The side door screen assembly and installation takes about 3 minutes in OEM serial production, but the screens are specifically configured for the OEM's build geometry so a DIY application can be more complex depending on the exact layout and construction details of the upfit.

Dan
Drodabaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:53 PM   #23

Hi Dan - have bought 2 travatos and rent them out on regular basis here in southern california. one problem is the screen door being rather fragile, especially for first-time users. right now, both are busted. on the first one, one of the chords in the middle snapped. on the second, the little plastic track guide piece at the bottom broke. my dealer said they would replace the first one, but i can easily replace the part on #2. can i order direct from you? my dealer service dept is rather lame and takes forever. thanks, and please let me know how to obtain parts.
CamperVanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:58 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Dan will tell you they need to be periodically lubricated too. I'd recommend you put a "dot" sticker on the mid point of the door - the safe spot to open and close it - on both sides.

It's my theory that people grabbing the door frame from an off-center location is torquing the the door and causing breakages.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:34 AM   #25
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperVanGuy View Post
Hi Dan - have bought 2 travatos and rent them out on regular basis here in southern california. one problem is the screen door being rather fragile, especially for first-time users. right now, both are busted. on the first one, one of the chords in the middle snapped. on the second, the little plastic track guide piece at the bottom broke. my dealer said they would replace the first one, but i can easily replace the part on #2. can i order direct from you? my dealer service dept is rather lame and takes forever. thanks, and please let me know how to obtain parts.
I can't help myself. You RENT OUT a Travato? How long is your pre-rental orientation and how thick is your instruction book? I mean, the entire Travato blog Brian did is an instruction book. It bogles my mind.
O'Fallon, MO
RTVATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:56 AM   #26
Bronze Member

Dan, did you ever discuss with Winnebago making a screen that opens from front to back instead of back to front? Both the "G" and "K" models have the furniture oriented closer to the cab so once the sliding door is open the entire screen needs to be opened while the actual accessible space is only a portion on the back end. Just sayin . . . . Maybe it shouldn't be fixed on either end so it can open/close both ways.
O'Fallon, MO
RTVATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 03:30 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drodabaugh View Post
Hello all,

I supply the sliding screen doors to Winnebago for the Travato (ProMaster) and Era (Sprinter) products. The product is integrated into Winnebago's builds so if you want the OEM look and feel it is best to buy them directly from Winnebago and let the dealer install them.

However, if there are a few brave souls who would like to tackle the installation themselves I'll ship a few out to forum members for free in exchange for product feedback and a step-by-step detail of your installation process. I've done dozens of installations so I can provide tech support, but I don't suggest volunteering unless you're pretty handy and have an assortment of tools available.

Below are some points to consider before accepting the challenge...

1. The OEM configuration is only available from Winnebago dealers.
2. The installation process can get pretty involved depending on several factors.
3. We can't warrant the installation, but we will warrant the product itself.

IM me if you're interested. Obviously, we can't give away more than a few so we'll go with the first-come, first-served rule.

Thanks,

Dan
Dan, I am new to this forum and have been trying to purchase a side screen door for our 2009 Era Limited Sprinter. I am sure your "first come first serve" has expired but I cannot even find a website with the product or pricing any help would be appreciated. Thank you. Simonetta.
Stella30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:15 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drodabaugh View Post
For some reason i can't view the video

Dan
I had trouble too, then I just pasted only the middle number into the "Search" on the You tube page, then hit the search button

Copy and paste bBrDFI_duXg for the first one

then f3BPuzukRCA for the second
Old 12-11-2015, 03:27 AM   #29

Hi Dan, nice to find you on here as your product looks like the best we have seen and we have been trying to source one. We are doing our own build and we are wondering if you would sell us one directly? Thank you
Tim in Calgary Alberta.
WillyCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 04:37 PM   #30

I have been corresponding with Dan at drodabaugh@hotmail.com

Thank you all for your help.
Stella30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 05:02 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTVATO View Post
Dan, did you ever discuss with Winnebago making a screen that opens from front to back instead of back to front? Both the "G" and "K" models have the furniture oriented closer to the cab so once the sliding door is open the entire screen needs to be opened while the actual accessible space is only a portion on the back end. Just sayin . . . . Maybe it shouldn't be fixed on either end so it can open/close both ways.
Sounds like the way ARV has it set up for their Sprinters.

Davyyd (Alvar) could comment on how that's working out.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:24 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
Sounds like the way ARV has it set up for their Sprinters.
That door is one of the many things that ARV inherited from the lamented Great West Vans. I believe GWV was the first manufacturer to offer a real screen door. The two companies actually cooperated to pool their orders in order to meet minimum purchase requirements from the door's manufacturer.

Works pretty well. You do need to keep the bottom channel very clean if you want it to work as smoothly as it does in the ARV video. It also needs a strip of weatherstrip in the vertical channel in order to be bug-proof. Don't know if ARV does that, but GWV did not.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:43 PM   #33
Platinum Member

The weak part of the Great West Van was the fixed portion that closed off the open part above the kitchen galley cabinetry. Advanced RV's is much cleaner in design and construction with no-seeum screening and there is no way for bugs to get in like they were doing in my former Great West Van through the crude velcroed attachments. The sliding doors themselves were the same initially started by the original GWVan owner in 2008 with the first NCV3 design year. They've been around for a while and I always wondered why other manufacturers ignored it. It is a third party purchasable item and they work well in my opinion. There is no weather stripping. The screen jamb nestles in a channel pretty tight. Advanced RV did convert some Winnebago Era 70A vans with screens for customers. It was not cheap because the kitchen galley cabinetry had to be reworked with a notch and jambs had to be installed. The Era sliding door remodels slid from back to front and nestled in a notch in front of the galley.

They can come out of the tracks if you try to open it at a point other than the center point but nothing like I've seen with the Travatos. They only slide at the actual door opening you see in the video and not clear across the whole sliding door opening like others do. Also there is no curvature to the screen door. It is straight up and down. I haven't seen the Airstream solution other than the photos.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:23 PM   #34
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
It is a third party purchasable item and they work well in my opinion.
Offhand, do you know who sells/makes them?
Old 12-11-2015, 10:06 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
Offhand, do you know who sells/makes them?
Offhand, no. I did Google search once and came up with a company that distributed them for house doors but I never bothered to save the information. I've had use of that sliding screen since 2011 and as I mentioned, at one time was curious why no one else was using it.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:44 PM   #36

Your message is a few years old...do you still have information on a sliding screen door for Winnebago Sprinter Era? If yes, please reply. Thanks!
MTNvan1 is offline   Reply With Quote