Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2018, 12:56 AM   #1
Silver Member

Default Travato Spare Tire Mounts

I’d be real interested in any and all feed back from others on mounting a spare tire on a Travato.

I’ve searched internet and only found one company making a rear mount for the promaster.
It was expensive and didn’t impress me since you have to move the tire bracket first then you can open the door. I was hoping more for a solution that opens along with the door.

I have a 2019 59K and hate the idea of not carrying a full spare. I have already purchased a rim and had a new tire put on the rim - now where to mount it?

On roof rack?
On custom rack on rear door?
On receiver mount?

I am considering buying a Surco TC100 mount and modifying it (if needed) to mount it on a rear door.
The standard method I’m considering will incorporate the 2 hinges and third point drilled through door.
(Google it if that vision doesn’t make sense)
The TC100 looks like this:

Let’s talk!

Better yet - show us your pictures of your mounts - I know someone out there has done it!
EnduroRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:54 AM   #2
Bronze Member

The mount on the back of my Jayco B looks like the Surco in your picture. It works well but the tire hits the taillight when you open the door to far and cracks the lens. On my list of things to do is find a way to keep the door from opening to far or make a taillight guard so it doesn't crack the lens. The don't seem to make a guard for an E250. I think I can rework the tire mount alittle and move it over an inch or so which will allow the door to open further but it will still hit the lens.
JebTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 03:25 AM   #3
Silver Member

I thought about that also when considering the promaster doors swing all the way around.
Buying replacement lenses could get old fast.

I envisioned something simple like a wire cord that prevents the door from opening too far.
Or a strap like this:
http://www.warriorproducts.com/catal...miting-straps/

Probably cheap insurance against wind breaking your lenses - ouch!

The sprinter I had used a bracket that prevented it from full swing but is also real easy to release to allow full travel if needed.
Nice feature on those.

You said E-250 - doesn’t the Ford body have a little rod in center of door that also prevents full swing?
Maybe you could modify that rod if needed to make shorter travel?

Old 11-19-2018, 12:18 PM   #4
Bronze Member

I thought about some kind of cable but needed to look for an appropriate cable, but I like the strap idea better. It does have the built in door rod but I didn't think about if they could be modified, I'll have to look.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:32 PM   #5

We ordered the mount. We have a 59G Travato. Unfortunately as you said, you have to remove it to open the back door. If we need to get access to the back area while on trips around town etc. we just throw the spare in the aisle. Poor solution.
bpestun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 12:22 AM   #6
Silver Member

Which mount did you order?
Is it door mounted or hitch mounted?
The one I’m planning would mount directly on henges and door. Anticipating it will limit the amount that door can open but leaving enough clearance to open the other door.
The generic center hitch mounts I saw would block both doors.
I did see one company made one that was attached on one end of the hitch but incorporating a separate hinge for just the tire mount.

Also do you have pictures you can share of your setup?

There seems to very little information or pictures out there on the promaster with spare tire mounted at rear of van.
Old 11-23-2018, 04:00 AM   #7
Bronze Member

Seems like this is an opportunity waiting to happen. There are a lot of Promaster motorhomes out there. Some cleaver machinist might design and build the perfect tire mount.
Old 11-23-2018, 04:18 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Default Spare tire..... some people don't have one

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroRdr View Post
I’d be real interested in any and all feed back from others on mounting a spare tire on a Travato.

I’ve searched internet and only found one company making a rear mount for the promaster.
It was expensive and didn’t impress me since you have to move the tire bracket first then you can open the door. I was hoping more for a solution that opens along with the door.

I have a 2019 59K and hate the idea of not carrying a full spare. I have already purchased a rim and had a new tire put on the rim - now where to mount it?

On roof rack?
On custom rack on rear door?
On receiver mount?

I am considering buying a Surco TC100 mount and modifying it (if needed) to mount it on a rear door.
The standard method I’m considering will incorporate the 2 hinges and third point drilled through door.
(Google it if that vision doesn’t make sense)
The TC100 looks like this:

Let’s talk!

Better yet - show us your pictures of your mounts - I know someone out there has done it!
Lots of Class B's... don't even have a spare.... consider just calling roadside assistance....
They will bring you a replacement tire if you need it....

We're you really planning on mounting your own tire and fixing this on the road anyway?
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 03:08 AM   #9
Silver Member

Yes, I do. I changed all my other rv flat tires. And on my 1 ton truck. I see no reason why I shouldn’t do it on this class B van.
If this were a class A or even a large class C then I’d most likely call for roadside service.

Besides, I am often well off the beaten path on some national forest road, which would probably be a very expensive roadside service call with a long wait.

Some folks may be ok with that strategy.
I’d rather have a full size spare tire just in case.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:08 AM   #10
Bronze Member

I usually call AAA but I l also like having a spare but can change the tire if I need to. Flats don't happen often but I have had enough that I want to be prepared.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:17 PM   #11
Silver Member

Still having great luck with my setup and lower cost solution. See the following link and other suggestions on the mount.

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...html#post68702
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 10:20 PM   #12
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
Still having great luck with my setup and lower cost solution. See the following link and other suggestions on the mount.

I like that set up!
HawkTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 12:42 PM   #13
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post

Thanks for sharing that Techfan.
I also thought about same type solution. The best part is your version has absolutely no permanent modification to the van so no regrets like drilling a hole in the wrong place.
I may go that route - my only reservation is the loss of the receiver hitch. I sometimes use a trailer or my motorcycle rack. (Which plugs into receiver) I could always put the spare in or on the trailer to free up the hitch, but if I use the moto carrier then I’d have to do something else with spare.
Like putting it in van.

I purchased my spare wheel already, and this past week while visiting relatives over thanksgiving I drove around with it in van (laying on floor in front of sliding door - very inconvenient).
So I’m really motivated to get an outside mount.
I’ll share my solution once I get it figured out and functional.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:17 PM   #14
Gold Member

I didn't see anything about a bike rack but do you have one? The factory rack can be easily converted to a tire carrier. We don't carry bikes much but I have a swing-away hitch mount bike rack so I plan to use the factory bike rack for a tire.
kmessinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:39 PM   #15
Silver Member

No I do not have any racks or ladders on my 59K.
My first thought is a spare tire mount on one side and later get a ladder for the other door.
If possible I wanted to keep the trailer hitch free to use as needed.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:35 PM   #16
Gold Member

There are some that used a spare tire mount from a jeep. It has a taillight on it but they cut that part off. Are you on Facebook? There is a forum on FB, Travato Owners and Wannabes. If you can get there and search for spare tire you will find many posts. Here is the jeep carrier. https://www.extremeterrain.com/skyja...-kit-0717.html
kmessinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 03:56 PM   #17

Check Wilco Off Road spare tire carrier. This is what I have on my Travato 59k.
frillera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 04:07 PM   #18

Wilco Off Road spare tire carrier is attached to rear hitch receiver and swings out to access back door. Very convenient with full spare tire when needed.
frillera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:33 AM   #19
Silver Member

Completed mine this week:

IMG_1204.jpg
IMG_1209.jpg
IMG_1212.jpg
IMG_1215.jpg
Old 12-06-2018, 02:44 AM   #20
Silver Member

I counter sunk 1/4” bolts (2) top and (2) in bottom henges. Also used (2) in door with rubber washers.
Mocked everything up tack welded then removed for final welding.
I used Q-tips to prime and paint the holes prior to bolting everything in place on final assembly.

IMG_1197.jpg
IMG_1198.jpg
IMG_1200.jpg
IMG_1201.jpg
IMG_1203.jpg
IMG_1206.jpg