Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2022, 05:01 PM   #1

Default Travel suggestions needed

We had planned on spending February and March in Arizona before returning home to Montana, but something came up, and instead, we will be taking the long way home via Birmingham AL and Michigan. We will have a little time for sightseeing so would welcome suggestions.

From west Texas through Mississippi, we can take either I-10 or I-20. Pros/cons? Any recommendations of favorite places to visit along either of those routes? Our preferred travel style is boondocking, state/national parks, historical sites, etc. We tend to avoid cities and almost never stay at commercial campgrounds.

Heading north from Birmingham, our sightseeing time will be a little more limited, and of course, we will be getting back into winter, but we would welcome suggestions there as well.

Thanks,
Bob
Mtsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 05:07 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I wonder if weather systems are stronger to the East side of the Mississippi

that seems the be where the warm gulf air is colliding with colder systems resulting n storms

I'd look at getting a little West before going North

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 05:19 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I-10 will get you Cajun food in south Louisiana and the Mississippi Gulf Coast. I-20 will get you Vicksburg battlefield. I-10 probably has a bit less boring sameness.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 07:01 PM   #4
Platinum Member

We did a bit of that area a number of years ago, going the other direction on the way to Galveston Island. We came down from the Tennesee end on the Natchez trace parkway, which is 444 mile scenic parkway. It ends in Natchez Mississippi which is about half way between 10 and 20 right on the river. I think we would prefer 10 as it is a bit more scenic to get to the Trace

If you like scenic drives without a lot of traffic or hassles it is a wonderful drive to take. If you like to go quickly from spot to spot, not so much because of the slower speed limit.

You could head directly east to Birmingham from partway up the Trace and then go back to it or another way if you prefer. If you take it all the way to the north end you will be in Nashville.

https://www.nps.gov/natr/index.htm
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 03:30 AM   #5
Platinum Member

I would let weather guide your decision. I-10 will get you San Antonio and New Orleans along with a bit warmer weather (but also Houston traffic). I-20 (if the weather is mild) will get you more gradually up North with a bit less traffic and 140 less miles.

El Paso to Birmingham AL via I-10 (San Antonio & New Orleans) = 1412 miles

El Paso to Birmingham AL via I-20 (Dallas & Vicksburg) = 1272 miles

Another decision point is whether you prefer crossing Arizona & New Mexico on I-40 which includes the Petrified Forrest, Albuquerque, close to Santa Fe and a lot of old Route 66. Then you definitely wouldn't want to go down to I-10 and can rejoin I-20 by avoiding Dallas/Ft. Worth by skirting North of both on I 30.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 01:17 PM   #6
Platinum Member

If I had the time, I would avoid interstates altogether. There are some nice US highways going across there. For example, you could grab US 84 in Texas. We find these highways delightfully traffic-free.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 03:38 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I’m in Mission, Texas camping right on the Rio Grande River on the Mexican side of the wall up on a levee. I have followed the border most of the way. Like MsNomer I avoid freeways as much as possible.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 03:54 PM   #8
Platinum Member

We went through TX on Tx103, 7, then did I-20 thru DFW then hooked up with US 180 into NM, then thru Alamogordo and Las Cruces then on to AZ. This route is weather dependent as there is some altitude just east of Alamogordo.

We overnighted on BLM land in the Organ mountains near Las Cruces, at a rest area near Hope, NM, free city park w/hookups in LaMesa, TX, a Walmart east of Dallas, and a little park/boat landing at the junction of US84 and LA28 ne of Alexandria, LA.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 04:34 PM   #9

I want to thank everyone for the thoughtful suggestions so far. I think that we are leaning toward staying as far south as we can, I-10 and secondary highways where appropriate. And hopefully part of Natchez Trace.

Does anyone know of particular nice places along that route for camping, hiking, or just hanging out for a day or two?

Thanks,
Bob
Old 02-21-2022, 04:51 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Something to consider for a two or three day break. A bit south of the I-10/I-20 split in west TX is Davis Mountains State Park, which is close to McDonald Observatory and Fort Davis National Historic Site. We enjoyed all three. From Fort Davis head south to Marfa (Google it, interesting town in the middle of nowhere) then take US90 east to San Antonio and get on I-10 again.
Arlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 09:32 PM   #11
Platinum Member

If you take Hwy 90 in Texas stop at Langtry to see the "law west of the pecos".
Previously: 1999 36' Foretravel, 1998 Newell, 1993 Newell
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 09:47 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
If you take Hwy 90 in Texas stop at Langtry to see the "law west of the pecos".
+1. Extra characters as my original +1 wasn't enough.

Also, we didn't stop but there is a Texas roadside rest in the area on 90 that is s'posed to have a killer view.
Old 02-21-2022, 10:13 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post

We overnighted on BLM land in the Organ mountains near Las Cruces, at a rest area near Hope, NM, free city park w/hookups in LaMesa, TX, a Walmart east of Dallas, and a little park/boat landing at the junction of US84 and LA28 ne of Alexandria, LA.
I was in the Organ Mountains exactly 3 years ago today. Now I am still hugging the Texas border and the Rio Grande River at Falcon State Park in Texas. It got up to 94 degrees today in our bid to stay warm when it was below 0 at home in Minnesota this week.
Old 02-22-2022, 02:47 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I was in the Organ Mountains exactly 3 years ago today. Now I am still hugging the Texas border and the Rio Grande River at Falcon State Park in Texas. It got up to 94 degrees today in our bid to stay warm when it was below 0 at home in Minnesota this week.
This year was on the west slope of the Organs, last year we stayed at Aquirre(sp?) Springs for a few days on the east slope. Pretty area, especially at Aquirre Springs.
Old 02-25-2022, 08:33 PM   #15

For some reason, my last post never went through, so here it is again.
I want to say thanks for all the helpful suggestions. We decided to take US-90 part way, then down to Padre Island. SteveJ, thanks for mentioning that rest stop near Langtree. It was great and we spent the night there. Very quiet. It is high overlooking the Pecos River and the highway bridge, with cranes and pelicans on the river far below. Unfortunately, we aren't getting the warm weather you mentioned, Davydd. It went from a high of 90 to a high of 50 in two days.

Bob
Old 02-25-2022, 08:55 PM   #16
Platinum Member

We went to a high of 101 degrees to a high of 46 degrees the next day in Falcon SP on the Rio Grande Mexican border. We are here to Monday when the temperature is suppose to moderate and then we will move north. It has been unusual this year. We have down in south Texas 5 different years at this time of year and this has been the coldest. Florida looks to be the safest bet this year.
Old 02-26-2022, 01:33 AM   #17
Platinum Member

I know you said you're at Padre, maybe this helps for future travels...

Texas - We just spent a week at Ft. Davis State Park. Great place, clean rr/showers, amazing views and trails. We also took a side trip to Alpine where Big Bend museum is located. Highly recommended.
Beginning of May we're heading to Palo Duro Canyon, close to Amarillo. (Palo Duro Canyon State Park).
TX-Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 04:37 PM   #18

If you're crossing Texas west to east, the Texas Hill Country is going to be the hands down best area to traverse. Much, not all of course, is scrub, urban or agricultural. The Hill Country is big. A good entry point Is Leaky, then northeast toward Austin. Small towns, wineries, rock bottom rivers, actually some trees. Be safe.
billley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 09:58 PM   #19

Default East to West in January

I just completed the I-10 through Texas in January. The only positive thing I have to say about driving across Texas is stopping at Buckee's . Buckee's is a must, Texas not so much. Boondocking is hard to find on the Interstate if you don't want to stop at a Truck Stop/Rest Area. If you have time, take smaller roads but no matter what roads you take through west Texas, expect to be bored senseless.
misplacedyank is offline   Reply With Quote