Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2013, 01:40 AM   #1

Default Traveling in a "B" with oxygen

Any one travel with Oxygen. Hubby is now using a concentrator and has one that travels well but he may have to up his O2 use to liquid O2 so I need to know how other B owners manage O2 tanks. We have a Pleasure way Excel , E350 ford conversion so not a lot of extra room.
irispatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Traveling in a "B" with oxygen

I have never traveled with breathing oxygen bottles but have some limited experience with ship-board compressed gas bottles. First, the bottles should be restrained. Not sure of the size of your bottles but perhaps a small fire extinguisher mounting bracket would work. The primary concern is to protect the valve head at the top of the bottle. If the bottle should fall and snap the valve head off, it can turn into an unguided missile. If the bottles have a protective shipping cap, you should keep it in place when not in use. Second, because this is oxygen which can dramatically accelerate a fire, you want to keep the valve head clear with good air circulation around it so that any leakage gets dissipated. Don't wrap a blanket around to protect it because any leakage can saturate the blanket with oxygen creating a major fire hazard, the slightest spark or static discharge could ignite it.
Hope this helps!
Randy
AmCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:09 PM   #3

There is not much info out there so it is looking very much like our RV days are over just as we were getting started.
irispatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Don't give up too easily. Gas bottles are carried in vehicles all the time. Oxygen is generally petty safe if you take reasonable precautions. I googled "oxygen bottle brackets" and found a wide variety of mounting brackets that could be used in a vehicle. You mentioned "liquid" oxygen which I believe must be stored upright. If you ask your oxygen supplier, they can probably recommend at perhaps even supply some method for safely carrying their bottle in a vehicle.
AmCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Find out what they use in ambulances. I doubt that they don't carry oxygen.

Good luck, Dick
dicktill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:16 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I realize that this is one more thing to take care of, and an inconvenience, but I can't see why it should stop you. Do you plan on taking very long trips? How much oxygen do you actually have to carry?
I bet you can buy oxygen at a number of places along the way. If you're physically able to do it, go for it.

Edit: I just searched "medical oxygen suppliers" in Google maps and a bunch of them show up.

William
WJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:53 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by irispatch
Any one travel with Oxygen. Hubby is now using a concentrator and has one that travels well but he may have to up his O2 use to liquid O2 so I need to know how other B owners manage O2 tanks. We have a Pleasure way Excel , E350 ford conversion so not a lot of extra room.
Have you asked the supplier of the oxygen you currently deal with about traveling with it? Perhaps they can advise you of the best options available. Or, maybe they can suggest some way around the space (where to put it) and safety requirement issues. Take your van with you and ask them what they suggest?
Old 12-16-2013, 04:11 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I'd check with a medical supply place. I am sure they can install a mount in the "B" to keep the oxygen tank upright and the valve out of harm's way.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote