Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2019, 02:56 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default TravelOn!

Ok. It reached 114 in Phoenix today. Heading to the White Mountains on Wednesday where the high is 80 and the low in the mid-50s. Our low last night in Phx was 89!

I decided to buy/install the Dodge steering stabilizer that I've seen discussed here frequently. Install was easy. I'll report on if it makes any noticeable difference in the handling. There are a few places on the trip where you are on "gully bridges" subject to wind gusts. We'll see.

I'm also going to resume testing different front tire pressures.

We'll see how the vintage Dometic performs. Last trip a month ago it did ok although I still haven't changed out the "pusher" fans I installed down low in the back cavity to send the air out the upper vent. Considering putting them at the upper vent to draw air out instead. I'm also going to email Dometic and ask them about adding some rigid insulation at the sides.

What else? I installed an exterior outlet for my solar panel suitcase. I found that continually connecting and disconnecting the MC4 connectors resulted in some degradation of the cables (actual splitting of the insulation) near the connectors. Maybe these are intended more for permanent connections. I also found on a marine blog some terminal grease (conductive) that I hope will stop any corrosion between the LifeLine terminal and the ring connectors.
Will see.

Hope that you all had a good 4th. Happy travels.

glenn
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:02 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Ha!... I’m already in the White Mountains. It’s home for me.

Wednesday is a good day to come up and get a jump on the weekend crush, well underway by Thursday afternoon. Do you have a favorite camping spot?

Enjoy!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 05:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Ha!... I’m already in the White Mountains. It’s home for me.

Wednesday is a good day to come up and get a jump on the weekend crush, well underway by Thursday afternoon. Do you have a favorite camping spot?

Enjoy!
A nice day is taking the cog train to the top of Mt Washington, having something to eat for dinner Washington Inn and free camping in the lower parking lot for Mt. Washington.
hherbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 10:21 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Steering Stabilizer. Ok. It does make a difference. It actually does make the PW steer more smoothly and react less to minor road surface changes. Happy that I did it but, like many have said, it doesn't change the basic steering geometry. There were still winds on those bridges but I felt more control.

Fridge. It was actually 115 the day I left PHX and the old Dometic had precooled down to the high 30s on AC. Drove up on 12v. In the 80s in the White Mountains and 9100 foot elevation. Fridge held 40 on LP. Warmed up to around 45 on the trip back to low desert.

Storms in afternoon. Got caught hiking Bear Wallow Creek trail with rain. Not smart.

Jon in AZ: Stayed at Winn campground this time. Not many people there. The walkin section of about 20 sites had only 2 campers. Where do you stay?
Old 07-22-2019, 12:35 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hherbster View Post
A nice day is taking the cog train to the top of Mt Washington, having something to eat for dinner Washington Inn and free camping in the lower parking lot for Mt. Washington.
Different White Mountains! We’re in eastern Arizona and since the OP is in Phoenix, I’m guessing he’s headed to the Arizona White Mountains.

I was in the the New Hampshire White Mountains many decades ago before moving West.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:41 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
Jon in AZ: Stayed at Winn campground this time. Not many people there. The walkin section of about 20 sites had only 2 campers. Where do you stay?
Mostly day outings since we live so close. Used to backpack the Mt. Baldy Wilderness regularly. Usually camped near Sheep Crossing trailhead. Also on the reservation: Hawley, Reservation, and Cyclone Lakes. Fools Hollow Lake State Park a few times for kayak play. You are over near Alpine? Definitely less crowded out that way.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Different White Mountains! We’re in eastern Arizona and since the OP is in Phoenix, I’m guessing he’s headed to the Arizona White Mountains.

I was in the the New Hampshire White Mountains many decades ago before moving West.
Oh my!!! I was a bit off course.
Well enjoy your White Mountains.
hherbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 05:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
Steering Stabilizer. Ok. It does make a difference. It actually does make the PW steer more smoothly and react less to minor road surface changes. Happy that I did it but, like many have said, it doesn't change the basic steering geometry. There were still winds on those bridges but I felt more control.

Fridge. It was actually 115 the day I left PHX and the old Dometic had precooled down to the high 30s on AC. Drove up on 12v. In the 80s in the White Mountains and 9100 foot elevation. Fridge held 40 on LP. Warmed up to around 45 on the trip back to low desert.

Storms in afternoon. Got caught hiking Bear Wallow Creek trail with rain. Not smart.

Thanks for the input on the Stabilizer. What year/model of Dodge is yours.
KennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 10:25 PM   #9
Platinum Member

My 1997 PW is on a 1996 Dodge 3500 chassis. Had it on the road again since last post and I'd definitely say that it makes a difference.

Dodge Ram Steering Gear Box Stabilizer

I have absolutely no affiliation with this company. Product was well made and heavy duty components.