Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2022, 08:11 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Trip to the Northeast for fall colors

Hello fellow B class travelers. We are planning a trip to MA, ME, VT, and NH in Oct to visit a friend and fall colors. Okay, for me fall colors, for wife her friend. I will be leaving the Tetons heading east stopping at Custer State Park and Badlands. We haven't toured much past Iowa and Missouri. We've been south to FL and the southern route which we plan to do on our return.

My initial plan is to hit Acadia NP once we are back east then follow the changing colors south until we arrive at our friend's in Newburyport MA. Continue south and take the Gulf home. Been there before and can taste the crawdads in Nawlins already.

As a nature photographer wildlife and birds will be a huge plus. Our preferred mode of travel is boondocking, state and national parks, refuges, forests, as much as much as possible. Full hook-ups unnecessary. Nature oriented activities rather than big cities and tourist's stops. Except possibly the Smithsonian in DC. Hate the thought of staying there though. Possibly an RV park and rent a car or Uber?

Travel routes avoiding big cities (except as noted above) are preferred and any suggestions on that would help.

Thank you so much for your input and help. This will probably be a one time trip and I wouldn't want to miss a 'must see'.
Asphalt Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 10:23 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Most States have some kind of a "leaf" guide as when the leaves will change depending on elevation and latitude.
I'd try to map out a route in advance based on that, and be ready will to be flexible.

one thing you'll notice looking at maps is how many of the major roads and highways run north/south...and fewer running East/ West. Vermont to Maine is not always a hop skip and jump.

keep in mind that from Burlington, Montreal is only 90 miles...take your passports, Quebec is fun and the route along the St Lawrence Seaway is a major east/west road, you can drop down into Maine
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 05:36 AM   #3
Silver Member

Thanks mkguitar I will look for leaf guides and I'll check out the St. Lawrence Seaway.
I spent the whole day planning a route after I leave MA. My big challenge is from Badlands to Niagara Falls. Trying to keep from driving through big cities. What to do and where to camp along that route.
Old 07-29-2022, 10:57 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt Addict View Post
Thanks mkguitar I will look for leaf guides and I'll check out the St. Lawrence Seaway.
I spent the whole day planning a route after I leave MA. My big challenge is from Badlands to Niagara Falls. Trying to keep from driving through big cities. What to do and where to camp along that route.

We will be doing a very similar trip this fall from Minneapolis area but we will be going right after labor day in September.

There really isn't much to see from the Badlands to eastern Minnesota, at least in our opinion. We do that run every spring when we stay in Custer Park for two weeks.

Here is the route we are taking from our house in Andover going to Allegany, New York, by going up and over lake Michigan through Mackinac. There is also shown a side trip up to Houghton to DW's favorite pasty shop which is essential if we are that close to it.

We will mostly miss the big towns until we head due east along the south of the lake where there aren't a lot of alternate ways to go and still make decent time which we want to do on that stretch.

You would be able to pick up this route without hitting the Minneapolis area by taking I90 all the way to Lacrosse Wisconsin. Then head north on Wisconsin the highway 35, not interstate 35W that you will cross earlier in Minnesota. Wi 35 is a windy road up the St Croix river to about Hudson Wi and then goes more inland and would meet our route at Siren Wi.

This route is fully laid out on Garmin Basecamp turn by turn. If you use that software I can send you the file if you would like.

After Allegany we will be in upstate NY, New Hampshire, and Vermont. Then down to Virginia to take the Skyline Drive, Blue Ridge Parkway, and Smoky Mountain Parkway to Smoky Mountain National Park. Then a dash home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trip.JPG (727.1 KB, 129 views)
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 01:24 PM   #5
Platinum Member

we always seem to end up going through Buffalo- no problem because I have friends there - a stop for lunch with my Pal's daughter and grandson

Cuyahoga Cnty fairgounds is a cheap and easy stop with water and power- restrooms no showers- right in Cleveland- we spent 2 nights there in May ( rnr hall of fame and some foodie stuff)

one thing we found traveling in May was many campgrounds and attractions were not yet open for the season, you may have the opposite and find things closing and want to check and see what is open/closed.
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 11:46 AM   #6
Bronze Member

I have a driveway with 20 amp electric and water available in the south central part of Pa. you can use for a overnighter if needed. We are right in the Codorus state park. Give a shout out if you are passing through.
billn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 01:57 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Here is a couple of places in New York state that are great for nature, leaf colors and photography.
The high peaks area of the Adirondacks. Located around Lake Placid NY.
https://visitadirondacks.com/

Letchworth State Park. (The Grand Canyon of the East)
https://letchworthpark.com/
DaveBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 04:02 PM   #8
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billn View Post
I have a driveway with 20 amp electric and water available in the south central part of Pa. you can use for a overnighter if needed. We are right in the Codorus state park. Give a shout out if you are passing through.
Thank you for your very kind offer. I will keep you in mind on our travels.
Jim
Old 07-31-2022, 10:47 AM   #9
Platinum Member

If Canada is an option you may want to consider going over the top of Lake Superior if time will permit. Pretty awesome scenery. When you get to Sioux Ste Marie head east through Sudbury and maybe North Bay, head over to Quebec City. World class city. Don't know if it's changed but a few years ago one could park overnight, for a fee, at the passenger ferry parking lot across the river from "old Quebec" in Levis. Quite handy to just hop on the ferry and tour the town. Easy access, light traffic, no parking hassles.

If you really have time the Gaspe Peninsula is worth the trip. So is Cape Breton island in Nova Scotia, in fact, pretty much all of NS. Where to draw the line...

Leaf season in that neck of the woods should be right decent.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 03:56 PM   #10
Bronze Member

If you plan to go to Acadia, book early. We just booked at Schoodic Point (new part of Acadia, about an hour away but beautiful) for their last open week (first week of October) and it's mostly booked. You can book 2 months in advance.
There are other private places to camp, but they also fill up fast in the fall. Really not much boon docking in the area.

The NorthEast Kingdom area of Vermont is also beautiful and often less traveled. We went through there and stayed at Harvest Hosts and HipCamps and loved it.
joelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 06:26 PM   #11
Bronze Member

Default We are horrid for boon docking!

I live in RI and am so disappointed in our boondocking availability. I find places but its never easy. We do a LOT of Wally-docking and stealth parking. Area is relatively safe never had a problem. Coastal areas are warmer than inland so colors will vary. UP state NY, VT, NH and way up Maine are great. But you will find all the colors you can imagine on the Kancamagus Trail From Rt 93 in Lincoln to Rt 16 in Conway. Mt Washington is around there as well.
ENJOY
JPMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:01 PM   #12
Platinum Member

I lived and camped in New England (Vt. NH Ma.) for 50 years. The one thing to know other than how Beautiful*the fall colors are ,is how HORRIBLE*the weekend traffic is. Other than RTS 91 and 89 most roads are 2 lane and windy. And during leaf peeping season it is not unusual*for out of state folks to stop in the middle of the road to take pics. So if you can, avoid driving on the weekends . You probably*know there are few big towns to avoid. And I would be sure I had rez for any weekend nights (and maybe weekdays as well) in New England during leaf season.
Sound like a great trip. We are going back next year for our 50th
enjoy your trip
Michael
mangomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:35 PM   #13
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomike View Post
...it is not unusual*for out of state folks to stop in the middle of the road to take pics.
Michael
What?! You mean I can't stop in the middle of the road to take pics? Well, there goes all the fun.
Old 08-04-2022, 10:37 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Of course you can! Why be different? It's kinda' expected. But ,in these days of road rage it might not turn out so well.
Have a colorful trip
m
mangomike is offline   Reply With Quote