Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2022, 06:28 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Troubleshooting Dometic gas line

I have a Dometic RM7401L Gas/electric/battery fridge that currently works while on electric and battery, but when on gas does that "clicking" sound and blinking orange indicator light that signifies the pilot light trying to light.
So - obviously, it's not getting propane. Before I take it in, I'd like to troubleshoot it a bit more. Any suggestions on what to look for? Maybe an easily replaced gas line that's blocked?
Thanks
shelw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 07:19 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelw View Post
I have a Dometic RM7401L Gas/electric/battery fridge that currently works while on electric and battery, but when on gas does that "clicking" sound and blinking orange indicator light that signifies the pilot light trying to light.
So - obviously, it's not getting propane. Before I take it in, I'd like to troubleshoot it a bit more. Any suggestions on what to look for? Maybe an easily replaced gas line that's blocked?
Thanks
The first thing I would check is. The pressure of the line after the regulator. Often the regulators will fail and/or clog up with the brown oil from propane. Is there a way you can attach a propane pressure gauge? You generally need about 13 wc of propane pressure. Another quick thing to do. Turn on the propane cooking burners. Check to see the color of flame. If yellow, indicates probably low propane pressure. You can run the cooking burners for awhile(10 minutes) to run out any air in the gas line. Air in gas line will also prevent the fridge from lighting.
Old 03-20-2022, 07:38 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Thank you!
Old 03-31-2022, 04:02 PM   #4

Had the same problem with my Norcold. I suspect they all work about the same. Turned out the burner orifice was clogged. Replaced it, cheap, works great now.
lidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 04:04 PM   #5
Bronze Member

I fixed both the heater and fridge by cleaning the hole that the gas comes out of. They were clogged with rust and debris.
Hammernine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 04:54 PM   #6
Platinum Member

easy to assume a gas delevery issue, can also be igniter

this is easily adjusted

the dometic manuals are available on line and cleaning the stack, adjusting the igniter ( checking the gap) are easy and free to do

a "jet" such as used for gas may be a soft metal easily deformed- careful going at it with any metal tool

an old timey guy who works on carburetors will have graduated brushes or probes to clean jets without damage.
can also use guitar strings ( because I have a house full from exactly .008" to .130")

some fridge models have an electrically controlled gas valve, check this is opening correctly

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 09:43 PM   #7
Bronze Member

Thanks to all who responded. It was a simple fix - clogged gas line, which was blown out with compressed air.
Old 04-01-2022, 04:11 PM   #8
Platinum Member

More than likely the igniter. Easy fix. Mine would also click and work about 75% of the time, then I would reset it. Did all the stuff mentioned for naught. I then replaced the igniter, and I never had an issue again.
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote