Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2021, 05:00 PM   #1

Default Trucker GPS?

My RT Adventurous has a vertical clearance of 9.5 feet. This past fall we got shunted by Google Maps into the nightmare parkway system north of NYC with low bridges having 7.5 ft limits! After seeing the "OVERHEIGHT" flashing warning signs, we exited but of course Google wanted us right back there. We had to guess which surface streets in Yonkers would get us to the GW Bridge. You can't program Google Maps with your custom height restriction. Has anyone found a GPS system where you can input your height?
Stove
Stovebags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 05:21 PM   #2
Platinum Member

There are premium services or devices you can find at a truckstop

anything called a "parkway" has restricted heights, if driving a higher vehicle stay on the Interstate system even when it is a longer route- look for the Red and Blue shield on your mapping app indicating an interstate hwy

here is an article which lists a number of apps which you can check out

https://www.connectedwiki.com/google-maps-truck-mode/

a rand-mcnally paper atlas is a great fall back
mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 08:48 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I had a Garmin RV specific GPS that you entered your RVs size. It routed you where there was known clearance.
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 04:07 PM   #4
otr
Gold Member

Default parkways around NYC

Just an fyi, in addition to height restrictions they are limited to passenger cars only, the current big pick up truck as daily driver craze has forced a tweak in that (allowing pasenger plates onto light trucks), but with the narrow lanes and aggressive driving other options often feel more comfortable!
otr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 04:18 PM   #5
pmj

OSMAnd has settings for height, weight, etc.
pmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 05:14 PM   #6

I live in NY and have an Adventurous. The parkways will accommodate your vehicle height. The listed heights are NOT accurate. Highway Department and utility trucks use the parkways regularly without difficulty. I live right by a parkway exit listed as 7'9" and my vehicle easily makes it under.
famh@optonline.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 05:20 PM   #7

Try the TruckMap app. You can enter vehicle height, length and and weight in it.
dcawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 05:33 PM   #8
Platinum Member

My Garmin RV-760 has height input and it has been good at reminding me when there may be an issue. Also has a nice big screen. It also can get you lost or find paths that are not necessarily roads, and freeway entrances that are no longer there. But it was good for height restrictions. Mine is 9'6".
Hatteras Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 07:06 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stovebags View Post
My RT Adventurous has a vertical clearance of 9.5 feet. This past fall we got shunted by Google Maps into the nightmare parkway system north of NYC with low bridges having 7.5 ft limits! After seeing the "OVERHEIGHT" flashing warning signs, we exited but of course Google wanted us right back there. We had to guess which surface streets in Yonkers would get us to the GW Bridge. You can't program Google Maps with your custom height restriction. Has anyone found a GPS system where you can input your height?
Stove
Wow! The exact same thing happened to us in 2018 (only Garmin led us there). We were forced to exit before the low bridge and wandered around the Bronx (I think) in some serious traffic for what seemed like an hour. Because the tall buildings occasionally interrupted satellite signal, we seemed to always be in the right lane when Garmin would suddenly announce we needed to turn left and vice versa. At one point I lost hope and figured we'd never get out without having an accident. It was truly traumatic.

No incidents since then, but I have considered getting a Garmin RV model in the future (but mainly for the camping/park information they provide).
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 07:29 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Wow! The exact same thing happened to us in 2018 (only Garmin led us there). We were forced to exit before the low bridge and wandered around the Bronx (I think) in some serious traffic for what seemed like an hour. Because the tall buildings occasionally interrupted satellite signal, we seemed to always be in the right lane when Garmin would suddenly announce we needed to turn left and vice versa. At one point I lost hope and figured we'd never get out without having an accident. It was truly traumatic.

No incidents since then, but I have considered getting a Garmin RV model in the future (but mainly for the camping/park information they provide).

I can't say for certain, but I do seem to remember a similar discussion a number of years ago and the net conclusion was that the campground information on the Garmins was not very up to date or complete, but I may be mistaken. A search here and on Google may be able to answer that question.

For campgrounds I sure wish Allstays was still available for Android as it was great. I may subscribe to put it on the laptop we travel with as it is easy to transfer coordinates of places like campgrounds to the GPS when needed, or if preparing a route ahead of time to Garmin Base Camp route planner.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 10:33 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Garmin RV GPS
k1hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 11:43 AM   #12
Gold Member

we have the Garmin RV we turned off the RV and run as a car as we couldn't go on secondary roads where we wanted it keeps trying to take us back to freeways. We only use it for the backup camera now.
Old 01-08-2022, 12:05 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Allstays app has filters for bridges in 1-ft increments from 7 to 15 ft. Not good for using as a GPS, but good for checking the planned route.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 12:26 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckRV View Post
we have the Garmin RV we turned off the RV and run as a car as we couldn't go on secondary roads where we wanted it keeps trying to take us back to freeways. We only use it for the backup camera now.

Going as a car will open up more routes, but doesn't get rid of all the routing where you don't want to go. The route type settings, like fastest/shortest, etc and avoidances also influence where you wind up.

I finally gave up, as it appears you have also, on being able to set things so the GPS would give the route I wanted. Modifying the route by adding waypoints in the GPS is very tedious and hard to do if you are trying to do a custom route.

Another, very irritating "feature" of GPS units is that if you have a bunch of waypoints to force a route and miss one of them due to road construction a short side trip, even going a bit off the main road to get gas, the unit will keep telling you to go back to go through the waypoint. If you delete that waypoint, it will freelance and route from last one you went through and may go where you don't want.

With a Garmin there is actually a way to address almost every case of stuff like this. Many times we want to be able to choose a specific route, mostly for nice drives or road style, maybe just because we haven't been there before, whatever. On those occasions, which are more our norm, I prebuild the route on Garmin Basecamp mapping software. It is like doing a route on Google Maps, but it uses the same maps and algorithm setup as the GPS so things match. It also allows you to quickly upload the routes to the GPS along with any other points you may want to go to not on the route. Basecamp runs on my home PC when at home, and on our traveling laptop on the road. It does not need an internet connection like Google maps does, so you can use it anywhere. I can lay out a complex route going odd ways and the GPS will follow it exactly near 100% of the time. Once the route is made on the PC, I can go into the text listing of the route and change the "waypoints" to "shaping points" if we don't want it to announce them or force us to go through them. Miss one and all that happens is that it is that it picks the route back up as soon as it realizes you are back on it.

Basecamp does have a bit of a learning curve, but worth it for us for certain. With practice, routes can be done very quickly. Most of the daily routes are maybe 10 minutes to put together and upload. I just did a route that we may use this coming fall that is partial repeat of a trip we took in 2014 before we had all the custom route stuff worked out well. It entails the entire Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway/Smoky Mountain Parkway, plus some stuff we may want to stop at along the way which are just points of interest and done as side trips from the route. IIRC it a bit over 400 miles. It took well over 50 shaping points to make the GPS stay on the slow, hilly, curvy, slow, tunnel filled, parkways as it would always want to go elsewhere that it thought was better. The last trip on the route was a pain. I did the entire route in probably under 2 hours total work on the PC in my spare time.

There are several experienced Basecamp users on the this forum that do similar type routings, so several discussions in the history on here.

It is nice that Basecamp is a free download from Garmin and you put maps on it by using the GPS as a go through to get them for free. When new maps come out, you are able to hook up the GPS to the PC and them download the maps to Garmin and the GPS at the same time which saves hours of download time and maybe 5gb of data use. This also assures the maps are identical.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 03:19 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Booster I have been using Garmin GPS for years, never new about the Basecamp. Thanks for the information.
k1hog is offline   Reply With Quote