Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2021, 03:30 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Trying to find a affordable used Roadtrek?

I am entering my second year trying to buy, with about 2 years prior to that researching them. I've seen many ads going back 7 to 8 eights years showing Roadtreks with lower mileage at resonable prices. The same Roadtrek is now about 50% higher in price with 3 times the mileage. Which in turn drives me into even older units which will end up costing more in the end due to more and more mantaince costs. It always turns out that I am just not quick enough, even though I check ads every day. Yesterday was my tipping point, where I lost out on 2 in one day. While talking with one seller I noticed a ad come up which I answered within minutes of it being posted, only to lose out even after saying I would buy it sight unseen. Just the fact that it would take me a few days to travel to pick one up is enough to end my chance. I do know that I have lost them to dealers, one for sure yesterday. Who then turn around and put a huge markup on them as is with no warranty. What tatic am I missing that would give me a chance?
gobike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 03:33 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Raise your offers?
coss370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 03:33 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Default wtf

in the time it took me to type the first post I was messaged that I will be likely losing out on a third unit I was dealing on.
Old 02-14-2021, 04:33 PM   #4
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobike View Post
in the time it took me to type the first post I was messaged that I will be likely losing out on a third unit I was dealing on.
Seems you're have very good finding something to make an offer on.
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 04:46 PM   #5
Bronze Member

as a matter of fact, just minutes ago I did just that and am awaiting a reply
Old 02-14-2021, 06:00 PM   #6
Platinum Member

it is a seller's market due to covid.

I'm pretty sure I could sell my B right now for 50% more than we paid for it 5+ years ago

I had to put a "not for sale" sign on my gate

as far as mechanics with an older unit, a chev ford or dodge can be fixed by anyone, anywhere with parts from napa.
Newer chassis may have supply lines stretching across oceans & may also have complicated electronic controls which in time appear to be "experiments"

( our Pals just bought their first RV and feel they got a bargain paying close to the MSRP for a 5 years used unit - the sellers got 5 years use for "free" )

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 09:40 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Which in turn drives me into even older units which will end up costing more in the end due to more and more mantaince costs.
I don't care which motorhome or rv you buy, no matter what the maintenance cost, they are all money pits!!! You have to accept that going into this. Doesn't matter if you buy a used one or a brand new million dollar one! They will nickle and dime you to death. But they sure are enjoyable while doing that to you!
Tiffin Allegro
Foretravel U225
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 09:58 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wny-pat View Post
I don't care which motorhome or rv you buy, no matter what the maintenance cost, they are all money pits!!! You have to accept that going into this. Doesn't matter if you buy a used one or a brand new million dollar one! They will nickle and dime you to death. But they sure are enjoyable while doing that to you!
Agree, it is a moneypit
Old 02-16-2021, 10:16 PM   #9
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coss370 View Post
Agree, it is a moneypit
I'm thinking it is more like 'sure Can be'.

Because there is good luck. Each part on a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry has a mean time to failure. There is some sort of bell curve in the first number of miles and/or years with someone having no failure, another having the exact average number and someone with a 'Lemon', thus 'Lemon Laws'.

I don't know of any Honda B's, but there is still a bell curve with each B.

I would want to start with NO failures prior to driving off the lot especially now. I had a sales person riding in a golf cart by the service department initiate how they could not service warranty stuff appropriately!
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 10:36 PM   #10
Platinum Member

No matter what B van you buy, you are essentially buying a customized vehicle. The chance of failure is much higher than your normal Corolla and Camry. It's sad they are not reliable to start with. It's worse if you have to depend on the dealer service. I am not sure what is worse, the house side or the car side....
Old 02-16-2021, 11:02 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
I'm thinking it is more like 'sure Can be'.

Because there is good luck. Each part on a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry has a mean time to failure. There is some sort of bell curve in the first number of miles and/or years with someone having no failure, another having the exact average number and someone with a 'Lemon', thus 'Lemon Laws'.

I don't know of any Honda B's, but there is still a bell curve with each B. The one I brought in Alabama barely got me home. It was the trip from hell, and that dealer could have cared less. But I did learn a lot about RV electrical systems and learned to carry my tools with me. TG there was a auto parts store nearby! That and two more mobile repairmen and I got it home.

I would want to start with NO failures prior to driving off the lot especially now. I had a sales person riding in a golf cart by the service department initiate how they could not service warranty stuff appropriately!
I learned a long time ago to never trust a RV salesman!!! Especially if they work for a Big Box dealership!!!
Tiffin Allegro
Foretravel U225
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 11:05 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
What tatic am I missing that would give me a chance?
Don't limit yourself to Roadtrek. There are many good makes out there. After a lot of looking and a lot of analysis, I found a van that I like much better than the Roadtrek designs.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 03:13 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wny-pat View Post
Yours is the best definition of rv cost I've ever seen. And looking back on all the $$$$ spent on my class b, it even made me smile.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 03:58 PM   #14

Default To Gobike

Looking for RT in Minnesota: what might you offer for 2005 19 ft Versatile, minty thousand miles in mint condition?
Monica Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 04:07 PM   #15
Bronze Member

Am not interested in the Versatile's
Thanks
Old 02-21-2021, 04:08 PM   #16
Platinum Member

We lucked out on Craigslist, found our 2006 (then 12 years old), Sprinter based, 120k miles. Been very happy with it. That was pre-covid. Also a word in favor of a bit older diesels, ours has no emission testing required and predates Diesel Exhaust Fluid. No dual axle and weighs in to qualify for regular auto tolls.
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 04:32 PM   #17
Bronze Member

Gobike: What is "affordable" to you? We have a 2014 Roadtrek CS Adventurous with approximately 30K miles on it. You're welcome to PM me if it's worth discussing.
MarCorpsMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 05:00 PM   #18

Myself, it took more than a year to find what I was looking for. I, too, after a year of research, decided I wanted an affordable older model RoadTrek. I had Google alerts setup in various places: craigslist, various on-line listings, and such. So many were scams, others were snapped up. It took me about 18 months. Even then it needed some work and I was prepared for that. It took me 12 months of working on things to make it workable, and I still have some things I plan to do, but it's setup to handle our lifestyle in an RV. So, perseverence and patience. I live in Austin TX and found mine in PA. I offered full price over the phone and said I'd book airline immediately for a few days later. The seller said they would take the ad offline when I emailed them the travel plans and worked with me in all ways. When I showed up 3 days later, they'd had a dozen others who had inquired and said a couple had offered more. She said she'd promised it to me but would call if it didn't happen. It all worked out, but she was also a person of honor and faith; she could just as easily gone with someone else. I hope you can find one that works for you. I should note that I purchased in Feb 2019; times are different now for RV purchasing.
2006 Avon Adventurer 16
2000 Riot Hammer - Team Member Custom
inforiculturist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 05:06 PM   #19

Looking to find an "affordable" Roadtrek with low miles and very good/excellent condition plus convenient to buy... is impossible and crazy making. When I read your question I thought "you just need to come up with the money, buy it from a reputable dealer and be done with it". I did this when I purchased my 2013 Roadtrek Agile in 2015. I made the dealer sign an agreement that I could bring it back in one month to fix anything that wasn't working. He agreed and I was happy. Yes, I paid a bit of a premium but - hey! - get used to it - LOL. It costs to have assurances. Having problems and figuring stuff out is part of the nomadic life and adventure so perhaps this is a good time to ask yourself... are you serious, and are you really ready to commit to the unknown? I hope this helps you go forward in your own best interest. Good luck!
AG_Ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 07:28 PM   #20

I have a 2006 210 Popular if you're interested. It's not on the market, but everything is always for sale. Feel free to PM! My schedule is busy right now with work, but I'll work with you the best I can.
BasicBill is offline   Reply With Quote