Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2020, 07:29 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Two 6v golf cart batteries in a Chev RT200?

hi all, anyone running two 6v cart batteries for the house battery bank in their rt200?

I know the dodge has room for two batteries but has anyone configured their 200 this way?

Willing to share?
Theputnams515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:43 PM   #2
Platinum Member

You are in the right place.

The answers will come.

Sometimes in a Class B its a matter of the diifference in the height of the 6 Volts.

And can I presume you are talking zbout high quality AGMs in the 200Ah range or not?
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:58 PM   #3
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post
You are in the right place.

The answers will come.

Sometimes in a Class B its a matter of the diifference in the height of the 6 Volts.

And can I presume you are talking zbout high quality AGMs in the 200Ah range or not?
I'm not really sure, I'd like to use the highest amp hour setup I can get. Our rig will be set up for boondocks in mountain cold and snow. So we need as much power as we can get for the furnace, etc. We will also run tgmhe gen. But would still like to be able to keep the unit warm while we are away up to 4 hours at a time and overnight. Stealthy as possible.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:32 PM   #4
Platinum Member

This is my increasingly expert opinion;

I just gave away two perfectly good two year old 12 Volt Lifeline AGM Batteries who were never getting charged correctly because of a faulty ground/negative connection.

Have a high tech solar install also along with Victron components and a Magnum MMS1012 Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

But I only discovered this AFTER I purchased a DC Compressor Fridge whose very low draw highlighted I had issues.

All now resolved, the thread is under Batteries Reconfiguring or something close.

Bottom line; I had the Lifelines capacity tested at the Lifeline HQ in San Dimas Southern California only to find they passed with flying colours.

Lifeline AGM Batteries are the best.

They manufacture & assemble IN the USA, the finest AGM Technology available to their primary market, the US Military, Coast Guard, etc.

Lifeline will unlikely ever move to Lithium Technology.

I had the connection fixed, normal demand never exposed the problem & then in Friday reconfigured my entire battery system.

I could have stayed with the two year old Lifelines but instead chose two 6 volt Lifeline Batteries that are more narrow, less wide but taller & placed them undrr my bed, as close as possible to the Electrical Box, my Shunt & the Inverter.

Unbelievable difference in performance not because I changed the bstteries but because I fixed the problem & two weeks later, reconfigured the system, eliminating 85% of the cable runs along with other benefits.

My suggestion is these same 6 volt Lifeline Batteries which have an* ah rating of 225.

Of course with the 12 volt system you need 2 of them.

For comparison, my 12 volt Lifelines had a rated 100ah x2 = 200ah.

*people will jump on this rating description for ANY Battery but for your purposes it's a guide.

I would ask some of The Giants amongst us like Booster, Avanti, George RA, Rowiebowie, MarkoPolo, Hnbj?, etc & others to educate more of you have questions regarding ah ratings.

These are the batteries I highly recommended;

https://lifelinebatteries.com/produc...eries/gpl-4ct/

These are what I had previously;

https://lifelinebatteries.com/produc...eries/gpl-27t/
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
Old 09-16-2020, 11:40 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I have a RT 200. I had considered, and it has been done, installing a larger battery in a side box, up on the shelf. As it turned out, I got rid of the Onan and had my brother fab up a battery tray that went in it's place. I have room for two batteries but I get by just fine with one group 29.

Outside lithium batteries for your situation would require some sort of setup to keep them over freezing temperatures, not insurmountable.

If you use the side box do keep in mind that there is a 175lb(IIRC) weight limit. Might be a good spot for lithiums.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 12:01 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
I have a RT 200. I had considered, and it has been done, installing a larger battery in a side box, up on the shelf. As it turned out, I got rid of the Onan and had my brother fab up a battery tray that went in it's place. I have room for two batteries but I get by just fine with one group 29.

Outside lithium batteries for your situation would require some sort of setup to keep them over freezing temperatures, not insurmountable.

If you use the side box do keep in mind that there is a 175lb(IIRC) weight limit. Might be a good spot for lithiums.
If you are new to batteries, you might want to stay with lead acid thst have a guarantee where you can return them in 9 months & get new ones.

I know enough that I chose the Lifeline AGMs but I learnt my lessons using Lead Acid units & Optimas.

There are some advantages to Kithiums but its very easy to make a costly mistake, $1000-1300 at a time.

Lifeline AGMs for me, zero interest in Lithium or the extra costs of converting some components for Lithium.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:22 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post
I know enough that I chose the Lifeline AGMs but I learnt my lessons using Lead Acid units & Optimas.
Just to avoid confusion, AGMs are lead acid. The relevant contrast is between AGM and FLA (flooded lead acid). Both are lead acid. Lithium batteries are not.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 12:28 AM   #8
Silver Member

I would definaly stay lead acid or agm.

I understand the bennies of LiMHD but they can be risky and can be dangerous.

I want to keep the Onan for now at least.

I took a look at the battery box. It looks like it might be a tight fit there.

If anyone else with a 200 sees this please chime in. I will have a million questions on this. I like to do things myself and I am just learning what we need/want and will post up build ideas and suggestions over time.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:45 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Just to avoid confusion, AGMs are lead acid. The relevant contrast is between AGM and FLA (flooded lead acid). Both are lead acid. Lithium batteries are not.
Thank you Avanti!

I, put my AGM Batteries under the bed.

AGMs you can do this with no risk.

Closer to the electrical box.

Out of the elements.

I can see a problem immediately.

And I reduced my connections by 85%.

NOW, might be the time for you to do so.

Those Lifelines are a 7 year Battery, about $360 each.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200911_102102.jpg (224.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20200911_112421.jpg (145.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20200911_112313.jpg (187.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20200911_112327.jpg (206.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20200911_102128.jpg (274.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 09-17-2020, 02:03 PM   #10
Platinum Member

A good break down of the different type of battery options for us, and how they are designe: https://www.wholesalesolar.com/blog/...ery-comparison
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 02:15 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmm@atlanticbb.net View Post
A good break down of the different type of battery options for us, and how they are designe: https://www.wholesalesolar.com/blog/...ery-comparison

As Avanti said in an earlier post, AGM batteries are lead acid batteries and those that are implying or outright saying they are different aren't being straight up about it or don't understand it. That link is a prime example. The chemistry and properties, as well as weight are essentially the same. AGM sellers would like everyone to believe that AGM are somewhere in between wet cell lead acid and lithium with a chemistry different than both, but in reality they are not. They are lead acid batteries.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:01 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Gentlemen,

Based on the OP's original questions, what would you recommend if at this stage she is set on keeping the Generator* versus something like an upgraded Alternator or a Dual Alternator system**?

*not stealthy at all

*not stealthy

Add some Solar but its Winter mostly?

2 x 6 volt Lifeline AGMs, 225ah Total

Or 2 x 12 volt Lifeline AGMs, 200ah Total

And putting the batteries under the bed, reconfiguring the battery set up?

Or leave them out in the Cold & Elements?

CORRECTION;

When I stated "I can see problems immediately..."

I wasn't talking about any present issue but the fact in the past, having all the wiring on the outside of the Coach made it visually difficult to see any issues & even if I master all the equipment I have to check electrical performance, where the actual issue is, requires a lot of painstaking examination - much easier when everything is INSIDE the truck.
Old 09-17-2020, 05:14 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Lifelines are nice if you have deep pockets. I'm retired and on a fixed income, so I will stick with AGMs from East Penn at half the price.
Old 09-17-2020, 05:18 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Yes,a couple of posters use them here & like them.
Old 09-17-2020, 05:26 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
As Avanti said in an earlier post, AGM batteries are lead acid batteries and those that are implying or outright saying they are different aren't being straight up about it or don't understand it. That link is a prime example. The chemistry and properties, as well as weight are essentially the same. AGM sellers would like everyone to believe that AGM are somewhere in between wet cell lead acid and lithium with a chemistry different than both, but in reality they are not. They are lead acid batteries.
But they are different. They do not charge like wet cell batteries. . They like to be charged slow and low. Many AGM/gel cell battery chargers have microprocessors that collect information from the battery and adjust the current and voltage accordingly. You can kill them by overcharging them with a old style Converter/Charger! You can't just stick them in any old RV and be good to go. You will need to insure that your Converter/Charger will work with AGM batteries! Newer motor coaches have a Battery Sensor Module or similar systems. These systems require recalibration with a scan tool if the battery is replaced. If the system is not recalibrated, the alternator might overcharge the new battery and cause the battery to fail soon after replacement.
Old 09-17-2020, 05:41 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmm@atlanticbb.net View Post
But they are different. They do not charge like wet cell batteries. . They like to be charged slow and low. Many AGM/gel cell battery chargers have microprocessors that collect information from the battery and adjust the current and voltage accordingly. You can kill them by overcharging them with a old style Converter/Charger! You can't just stick them in any old RV and be good to go. You will need to insure that your Converter/Charger will work with AGM batteries! Newer motor coaches have a Battery Sensor Module or similar systems. These systems require recalibration with a scan tool if the battery is replaced. If the system is not recalibrated, the alternator might overcharge the new battery and cause the battery to fail soon after replacement.

Actually, the charge profiles are very close to the same. The biggest difference is the rate of discharge of AGMs their ability to hold voltage. Some are better than other in that, though. It has to do with the plate design of most AGMs which is similar to starting batteries in wet cells. The long term floatAGM backup batteries have very similar charge rates and discharge rates in general. Voltages for charge normally overlap for both styles.

Contrary to what the charge makers tell you, almost none of their chargers do a good job of charging AGM or wet cells and will leave the over or undercharged on almost every cycle. It takes very good equipment to do either, and it is the same settable equipment.

Both types have advantages and disadvantages that need to be evaluated by the individual users depending on what the need. Those differences are not large when compared to the difference between lead acid and other battery types like lithium.

All we have been saying is to not believe the hype that is thrown around about AGMs not being lead acid batteries, because they are lead acid batteries and not any revolutionary new type.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:06 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Booster is correct.

And Lifelines are Bulletproof as they come.

For a while when I only had only one Lifeline Battery, every few days I would hook it up to.my CTEK unit & I still keep it for occasional Equalisation of my Odyssey Start Battery.

Photo to come.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:07 PM   #18
Platinum Member

https://smartercharger.com/products/...xoCoGgQAvD_BwE
Old 09-18-2020, 04:35 AM   #19
Platinum Member

This is an incredible charger - will sometimes bring the dearest batteries back to life.

Was recommended to me by Lifeline when I first started out with one battery.

Probably the best charger of its type out there for the money.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200917_183332.jpg (457.2 KB, 9 views)
Old 09-18-2020, 02:33 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Regarding the use of AGM batteries in an old van, I replaced the 12-volt FLA house battery with an AGM three years ago and have had zero problems with it keeping charged or providing useful power. My Class B is a 2004 model, with the original Parallax converter.

Actually, my only reason to go with an AGM battery was to never have to pull the passenger seat off its stand to add water to the house battery.

A couple of weeks ago, I removed the seat to access that compartment in order to install a 12-volt cigarette lighter socket, fused and wired directly to the house battery, for the purpose of powering a DC freezer/fridge. While getting the seat off wasn't quite the PITA I'd remembered, I was still glad I hadn't needed to do it in the meantime.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote