Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2020, 01:10 PM   #21
Platinum Member

When talking about engine generators vs using the stock alternator vs Onan or other brand standalone generators, everyone needs to remember that the use patterns of all us varies immensely.

If you have and 800ah bank and use upwards of 300ah per day, 40 amps, or even 80-90 amps of engine charging probably isn't going to cut it for you without a standalone generator. At that point the "realistic net yield" of an engine generator of about 165 amps gets to be necessary. In davydd's case he went even bigger with a huge engine generator at 300 amps net average capability. A Volta engine generator will do significantly more than that, even.

But what do you do with 300 amps of power if you have two AGM batteries with a total of 220ah? AGMs start to get too hot at about .4C charge rate, so more than that is going to be only useful for about 15 minutes of charging. .4C on the 220ah bank is 88 amps, so right in the ball park for the previous posted range being achieved with a stock alternator. Do note, however, that depending on the size and quality of the stock alternator, taking close to 100+ amps out of it for long periods may cause early failures. Remember that it also has to run the van so you have probably 15+ amps to engine and chassis stuff, plus whatever you have turned on. Heat or cooling fans take a lot of power, as do headlights and other lighting, so having another 50 amps of use is probably very possible. Most stock style alternators don't particularly like running at more than about 40-50% output continuously as they can run quite hot. Rebuilt replacement alternators can be very much more susceptible as they often use very low end parts in them.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 01:29 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Second alternators are nearly mandatory as a practical measure when the engine alternator charges at the rate of 40 amps, or even 80-90 amps as yours if you have lithium ion battery banks greater than 400ah or 800ah such as I have. Do the math in how much driving you desire to do in a day. If you desire to stick to the popular 330 or drive 3.5 hours per day or stop at 3:30 PM 40 amps can replace only 140ah. Solar on a B can provide a smaller negligible percentage of recharging per day, you can't run an Onan generator long enough for all practical purposes (by CG regulation, location or how much you can stand the noise) to recharge a battery bank. You thus are tethered to shore power campgrounds thus negating the need for high amp lithium battery banks. Shore power limits you to where and when you can camp.

High amp battery banks allow you to use your B electrically everywhere such as boondocking in a Walmart parking lot as transparently as if you were plugged into shore power. Every 120a outlet is hot with an inverter turned on, you can use your microwave or convection oven all the time, my Keurig coffee pot is at the ready anywhere, anytime and makes two cups of coffee while taking the time needed filling up fuel at a service station or a rest stop break, large compressor refrigerators are the norm, electric induction cooktops and instant pots can be used freely. What the heck, I have articulating beds that convert to lazyboy loungers at the ready with a vibrator mode to relax after a long hike.

With the second alternator coupled with high amp battery banks, of course you tend to take advantage of your batteries and use them profligately with no need to conserve or monitor closely. Some can reach the holy grail of the luxury of boondocking with air conditioning. It frees you up in completely eliminating propane, Onan generators and solar panels on your roof. With a small B eliminating those items can free you up in weight and space for other things. The roof trends are more active use such as rooftop decks, more skylights, and toys like kayaks instead of a deck of solar panels needing unobstructed sunlight.

As long as you drive at least every three days as most Class B's do you can live like this all the time. I use my B almost every day anyway for driving to a trail head, touring, going some place or just stocking up at a store. Not being tethered frees you up.

Everyone talks about this. The engine idling aspects and fears are overblown and over sold. I just checked, in over 85,000 miles and four years of travel, I have 17.5 hours idling on my van (it's monitored) and I can guarantee you most of that is testing it or demonstrating the capability to others.

That is what I have had for 4 years in an extended body 24 ft. Sprinter. Now I want that same capability in a 144 WB five feet shorter Sprinter (19'-5") on a 2500 chassis. You can't achieve that capability without a second alternator and lithium ion batteries with a 2500 chassis.

We expect to take ownership of our 2020 Galleria in February. It isn't equipped with Li batteries, yet.

Thank you for the comprehensive info you posted. Now I'm certain we'll install an auxiliary alternator in our new RV.
dmb496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:02 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyGeorge View Post
Sorry - slightly off topic: Davidd - I enjoyed following your last build online. It sounds like you are starting on a new van. Are you documenting this online? I'd love to see what you're up to !
The long Sprinter delay has been excruciating. First, it was the factory startup, then Amazon and maybe others hogged to the production and now it is engine certification on the 2020 models. I'll will document my venture once I see daylight and van in hand. Advanced RV will once again build it. ARV made a teaser video about our van last May when I thought I could discreetly mock up some ideas in a new empty van they had at the factory. Kind of got ambushed.

It will be different. CS Reisemobile DUO in Germany is a similar concept and what got me to thinking since 2012 and there is an Australian build I since discovered.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 10:58 AM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb496 View Post
We expect to take ownership of our 2020 Galleria in February. It isn't equipped with Li batteries, yet.

Thank you for the comprehensive info you posted. Now I'm certain we'll install an auxiliary alternator in our new RV.
I think you will find the Coachmen factory support to be most excellent. I certainly have.

Also, check out the Galleria Owners Facxebook Group. LOTS of helpful owners providing good and very useful information there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1694449227542056/