Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2019, 07:55 PM   #1

Default Unexplained alarm

We have a 2004 pleasure way TD excel 4x4 conversation and all of a sudden a high pitched alarm that we can’t find is going off when we have the water pump on for a period of time. Everything is working and it will go off after 5 mins or so but we can’t find the alarm.
If anyone can give us some suggestions we would appreciate it as we are trying to sell it.
Thanks
dnaschleuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:37 PM   #2
Platinum Member

It could be related to low battery voltage. The CO detector can sound off on low voltage. Try plugging into 120V shore power or running the generator or running the van engine while trying the water pump.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:24 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Is alarm continuous sound or repeated beep? re markopolo's reply, add LP detector if you have propane. My CO would go off at night when my battery dropped too low. I believe that one beeped repeatedly every 10 or so seconds. My propane goes off continuously I think. (It never went off except when propane tech replaced main tank valve and had to void some propane.)
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:32 PM   #4

Thank you. Low voltage we checked and we are good there but absolutely will check the propane valve. Was plugged into 120 while testing everything. It is a beep very loud every second and like I said it sounds like it’s in the ceiling and we can’t find where it’s coming from. Thanks for you ideas on what to check next
dnaschleuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:38 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Sorry. It's not the valve itself, but excess propane in the interior that causes that alarm to sound. You must have a LP detector that's like your CO detector. About 3x6" usually mounted low (I believe LP gas is heavier than air). Sometimes mine has sounded after a propane fill because there are excess fumes. If you have propane, turn off the main valve completely, air out the RV and see if the alarm still sounds. It may NOT be the propane alarm but better safe.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 01:45 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Could be your smoke detector or propane detector. Check the expiration date on both detectors as they have expiration dates. Replace if needed with new detectors. Smoke detector is located on the ceiling and propane detector is located close to the floor.

MLogan
2017 Trend
Smyrna, TN
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 02:49 PM   #7
Platinum Member

You may have separate fuses for the detectors that you could pull to try to narrow it down a bit. Or you can tape over the speaker hole in the detectors themselves until you find one that changes sound.

The fact that it is the water pump generating the issue and only after a bit of time sure makes it sound like voltage drop. The drop may be only in the line to the pump and detector and caused by a heating up connection or other issue. Unless the pump is burning up it won't generate anything that would trigger a detector, AFAIK.

How long does it take before the alarm goes back off? Does being on shore power or having the engine running make any difference? Can you get the detector to go off from running some other similar sized load for a while?
booster is online now   Reply With Quote