Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2017, 03:11 AM   #21
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
stuff the paper towel between rattling things.
Ah, I see. We already do that and more. She uses a kind of plastic bubble sheet between stuff works well

Cheers
Mtc46jw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 12:23 PM   #22
Silver Member

I remember seeing a used class B in RV Trader that had been slightly modified by making a small cut out in the closet wall that was directly behind the drivers seat. The cut out (in the shape of the seat back) was just big enough to allow the top rear edge of the seat back to recess back into the closet area a bit allowing the drivers seat to be pushed back an extra inch or two. I think you have a closet directly behind the drivers seat in your TS, if you are absolutely sure being able to slide the drivers seat back a bit more would help, this could be the least expensive way to go (as a last resort). Good Luck.
fruch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 01:44 AM   #23
Platinum Member

I'll second that. Works well for dishes.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 11:00 AM   #24
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruch View Post
I remember seeing a used class B in RV Trader that had been slightly modified by making a small cut out in the closet wall that was directly behind the drivers seat. The cut out (in the shape of the seat back) was just big enough to allow the top rear edge of the seat back to recess back into the closet area a bit allowing the drivers seat to be pushed back an extra inch or two. I think you have a closet directly behind the drivers seat in your TS, if you are absolutely sure being able to slide the drivers seat back a bit more would help, this could be the least expensive way to go (as a last resort). Good Luck.
Thanks I looked at this till I'm blue in the face. Since the drivers seat frame is actually an inch more forward than the passenger se st frame doubt that just major surgery on the cabinet will suffice. Secondly, do not want to cut cabinets for resale purposes. I simply do not understand why they build the van this way.

Toyed with getting a sprinter but after one tenuous called to a sprinter dealer the trade in costs on our new van where ridiculous. That put an end to the upgrading idea. Good lesson for those 6-3 ft drivers! Do not by promaster if you are planning long trips. You and your back ultimately will regret it.

Cheers
Old 07-30-2017, 03:04 AM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtc46jw View Post
Good lesson for those 6-3 ft drivers! Do not by promaster if you are planning long trips. You and your back ultimately will regret it.
I have driven my 2015 Promaster Sportsmobile across the country and back twice. I was quite comfortable. I am 6'3" and the seat has no obstruction that prevents it from going all the way back.

I will say that the Promaster seating is different. You are not sitting on the floor with your feet in front of you. It is more like sitting in a chair. I like it.

Personal choice I guess.
DCHitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 03:41 AM   #26
Platinum Member

Often times, I find a seat that may seem too hard at first is actually the more comfortable one over a long period. A big cushy seat just the opposite and causes all the aches and pains after about 4 hours of driving.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 03:48 AM   #27
BBQ
Platinum Member

It is a van

You sit high
You sit straight
You look down

The mirrors are far
The windshield is huge

Everything is different from a car
Old 07-30-2017, 09:39 AM   #28
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCHitt View Post
I have driven my 2015 Promaster Sportsmobile across the country and back twice. I was quite comfortable. I am 6'3" and the seat has no obstruction that prevents it from going all the way back.

I will say that the Promaster seating is different. You are not sitting on the floor with your feet in front of you. It is more like sitting in a chair. I like it.

Personal choice I guess.
I believe you. But the pleasureway van drivers seat cannot extend back because of the bathroom bulkhead. If did extend as much as the passengers seat it go a long way towards helping out the situation..
Old 07-30-2017, 12:35 PM   #29
Silver Member

"Since the drivers seat frame is actually an inch more forward than the passenger se st frame".....

I did not notice this, it's good to know. I wonder why they made it that way?

You probably already saw this thread, but if you did not:

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...room-4050.html

Maybe some tips there.

I really like the Promaster based Bs, but I do notice the 'different' driving position as soon as I sit in the drivers seat of one. I plan to rent one for a long test drive to see if I can get used to it. I would be interested to hear any tips, modifications or solutions you come up with. Thanks and good luck.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:53 PM   #30
Platinum Member

I didn't realize the seat couldn't go all the way back. That could certainly be the problem.

Besides the PM, we have a Corolla and a Tundra. I always thought these Toyotas very comfortable until we got the PM. On long trips in the Toyotas, I limp when I get out because my knees and hips have been in unnatural positions. With the PM, everything works fine because I have just been sitting in a chair. MrNomer would routinely drive 12-hour days if I were willing.
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 02:03 PM   #31
Silver Member

I have found that taking a preemptive Ibuprofen before a long ride and applying generous amounts of Bio Freeze during and after a long ride can be a big help.
Old 07-30-2017, 02:11 PM   #32
Platinum Member

BBQ is right. It is a van. Looking at this from a logical perspective, one might be able to use this train of thought:

1. It is a van (as he said)
3. It includes a "1 size fits all" seat

Therefore:

Purchase a 3rd party custom frame to fit your body type

(after all ......if you spent ~ $100,000 for a van, another grand is a drop in the bucket)

Problem solved.
gklugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 02:18 PM   #33
Site Team

The problem with selecting a seat is that there seems to be little correlation between initial and long-term comfort. I once owned a Camry that had seats that felt great whenever I first sat down. But after four or five hours driving, I could literally barely walk when I got up. In our other vehicles, I could drive all day without issue. None of the other drivers of this Camry had any complaints. So, how do you shop?
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 02:36 PM   #34
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtc46jw View Post
I believe you. But the pleasureway van drivers seat cannot extend back because of the bathroom bulkhead. If did extend as much as the passengers seat it go a long way towards helping out the situation..
My first Class B was a Pleasure-way and I liked it very much. The one reason I did not consider it for my second B was because Pleasure-way built the bathroom bulkhead tight to the driver's seat where you could not get full extension. In fact they made it worse with subsequent models.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 05:56 PM   #35
Bronze Member

You are exactly right! The bulkhead is the problem! So getting another seat, if such an animal exists will not help greatly. At 67, and 6-3 ft with long legs and an entrapped sciatica nerve plus other damages of a misspent motorcycling youth plus other skiing and stupid stuff...the discomfort did not become apparent during a half hour test drive.

I have no such problems in our car trips to Florida in our Audi Q5.

We are going out again for a week to see if the minor seat adjustments and an obisforme will help. If that does not work I am, will be in quite a quandary as we really like the pleasureway and all it's features! Even her little dachshund likes it.

Such is life?

Cheers
Old 07-30-2017, 07:39 PM   #36
BBQ
Platinum Member

Well... what are you going to do now?

Sell the RV?

Get new seats?

Get the shorter pedestal?
Old 07-30-2017, 08:02 PM   #37
Bronze Member

We tested out a Travato yesterday and my husband is 6'3" with long legs and it was not a good fit. I have sciatica and did not like the seats either. We have rented a Coachman Galleria with sprinter seats and LOVED them. So comfortable and able to drive for hours with no pain.

Lots of folks out there (or so it seems) are trying to get out of diesels into gas so maybe you can trade it in or sell it.
Lkwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:37 PM   #38
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

Well... what are you going to do now?

Sell the RV?

Get new seats?

Get the shorter pedestal?
1. As stated. Previously , one last week out to verify if it will work for us or not.

2. Cannot get new seats that significantly alter the bulkhead limitations

3. Shorter pedestal will accomplish little as in above.

If week out fails will have to decide if it gets sold or we upgrade to something that fits us.

Cheers
Old 07-30-2017, 09:39 PM   #39
Platinum Member

Since you are in Ontario, I am wondering if you could make contact with Pleasure-Way Headsheds and ask for their input - just a thought. If you cannot resolve and decide to sell, you should get a decent price - with the high demand for B's, and yours being almost new. Ron
Old 07-30-2017, 10:50 PM   #40
Bronze Member

Default Hi there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron J. Moore View Post
Since you are in Ontario, I am wondering if you could make contact with Pleasure-Way Headsheds and ask for their input - just a thought. If you cannot resolve and decide to sell, you should get a decent price - with the high demand for B's, and yours being almost new. Ron
Thanks for the idea, did you mean head office? Might just do that, can't hurt. I did try the closest pleasureway dealer, he's 250 kms away and is a rip-off artist! Offered next to nothing on a 2016 sprinter!

But will give head office a call tomorrow.

Cheers