Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2017, 09:06 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Urgent....Please help!!!

We just bought a new pleasureway lexor ts (our first) and have done our first week long trek, shakedown cruise. The van performed really well except for a two major issues I will now ask for advice on below.

1- I am 6 ft 3-1/2 and found that driving for 3-4? hours to be disaterous on my back. Before purchasing we drove the van for 1/2 hour and thought at the time it would be okay. Long story short it has been anything but. The drivers seat being travel restricted and shorter than even the passenger in legroom has become too much for me to bear. My sciatica and back pain have returned with a vengeance to the extent that my leg is numb and back is screaming.

My first question, what b class vans have the best drivers seats for the driver? Promaster or sprinter? Anyone with experience that can advise me? Is there a difference?

2- the van rides great on smooth pavement but has a very loud crashing sound over sharp bumps or pot holes. I thought it might be the microwave but removed that and looked at it to no avail. I removed and stuff inside it, wrapped it towels and it still does it? Do all vans do this? Will we just have to live with it? We were planning a couple of extended bucket list trips but I can not see myself accomplishing them in this vehicle.

Otherwise the van did great and all the features on the unit are excellent. It was a joy to holiday with. We are learning a lot!

Your comments are appreciated in advance

Cheers
Mtc46jw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:13 PM   #2
Site Team

1) I am 6"3". I find our 2014 Sprinter extremely comfortable to drive (although I don't have back problems). Drive many hours/day without issue. Never driven a Promaster.

2) Loud crashes are not normal, except in very extreme cases, like taking a speed bump at high speed. You need to learn how to pack. Do you have nested pots? Metal silverware? Large stacks of plates/bowls? Each of these needs to be cushioned at every layer. These are just examples of things to look for.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:31 PM   #3
Bronze Member

I am 6'0" and drive daily a Roadtrek Simplicity. Longest drive has been at least 12 hours. I do not have experience with the Sprinters, but find the RT to be comfortable over several hours. I do find my upper back gets a bit tense. I would suggest moving the seat as close as possible to the steering wheel. This creates more of a sit upright position. Also, I am assuming you have attempted all adjustments on the seat, but again, would suggest the most upright. This all may depend on where your length is at (i.e legs vs. torso). You note that the seat is travel restricted, which tells me you are trying to get further away from the steering wheel for comfort. Try driving it like a VW bus (get closer to wheel).

Regarding thuds. I have some thuds and a few rattles. I have not chased the rattles down yet. The thud may also be attributed to the length of the vehicle/spring setup. There are many options to add better springs. In my unit, there is a couch in back for seating. My wife hates it and says it is painful with seat belt on, my 13 year has no issues, but says he has gotten "air" a few times, and I have sat back there with no complaints, but we all grew up with different vehicular experiences.
aturner1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:41 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I am used to smaller, lower, cars, so the upright seating like an armchair, in nearly all the vans tends to hurt my knees and back a bit. I prefer my legs to be more straight out and not bent much at the knees. I am nowhere near the height of the OP, though.

We have a Chevy, so I don't know about how it would work in a Promaster, but if prefer the straighter leg thing that a low seat gives you in a low car. You might be able to help a bit by doing what I do. First a managed to move the parking brake pedal over out of the way on the left side of the floor, so my leg would go past it and be essentially straight. On the right side I have found that if I drive in stocking feet (which I have found I really like anyway) my right foot can go between the gas and brake when on cruise and get almost straight. I can now drive 12 hours without issue, especially when on cruise.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:09 PM   #5
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtc46jw View Post
My first question, what b class vans have the best drivers seats for the driver? Promaster or sprinter? Anyone with experience that can advise me? Is there a difference?
Cheers

I like the Sprinter seat. I felt right at home on first try.

I found the ProMaster seat awkward.

YMMV

Old 07-25-2017, 10:11 PM   #6
BBQ
Platinum Member

Do you have swivel seat?

The turntable added 2" to the height.

There is a shorter base available. IIRC it costs $75.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:16 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Go to a good trim shop. Have your seat remade for you. Custom. There are also after market captain seats that may accommodate you better. Don't throw away the baby with the bath water, you are a person that needs a special size seat.

On the noise problem, (the wise-guy answer is to avoid potholes!) all large vehicles and vans make a racket on poor roads. We all share this problem.
gklugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:02 AM   #8
Platinum Member

I wanted a Promaster van until I sat in the driver seat. At 6 feet it was terrible... like driving while sitting on a bar stool. Bought the Sprinter RT Agile instead and LOVE driving it.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:59 AM   #9
Platinum Member

On the Promaster forum, tall drivers are as likely to love the driving position as short ones, and most do. The secret is in the adjustment. Play with it until you get it right.
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:36 AM   #10
Platinum Member

I spent 45 mins working on getting the Promaster seat to a tolerably comfortable position and then sat in the Sprinter again and was instantly comfortable... no comparison so we bought a Sprinter. It's a road tripping machine so driving comfort is important. Also every time I swivel the seat I can't imagine spending the time to get comfy again. For us the PM is just a poorly designed and executed driving position and one of the worst I have experienced and I have driven a lot of cars and vans over the years. However for others maybe it's great; for us it didn't work.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 01:50 AM   #11
Platinum Member

In checking out the many makes of "B" class MH models I quickly found out the most uncomfortable seating position was the Pro Master. No way I could stand it.
The next worst was the Ford Van based.
The Chevy was better but still not good. It and the Ford have minimal room for my left leg/foot.
The Mercedes, oh how I wish I could afford one. Completely comfortable.
I'm only 6 foot tall, but 5 feet is leg.
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:24 AM   #12
Platinum Member

You mention driving 3-4 hours and your back problem - you might think about cutting back the time to 2 hours driving and then walking around before rambling on? I have severe back problems, have Chevy seats, but find driving more than 2 hours really painful. Ron
Old 07-27-2017, 02:35 AM   #13
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=
First I managed to move the parking brake pedal over out of the way on the left side of the floor, so my leg would go past it and be essentially straight. especially when on cruise.[/QUOTE]

Booster, how did you modify your P brake?

I just looked at mine, I don't see how I could move it over, other than removal, cut and weld.

Like you, I need a legs out position.
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:01 AM   #14
Platinum Member

My Mercedes Benz Sprinter seats were modified. First the factory padding which is a spaghetti like soft plastic was removed and in its place gel padding used in wheel chairs was used. Then the seats were reupholstered in real leather. I can drive all day in my seats with no discomfort.

Since, Advanced RV has installed as an option for some customers these imported seats. I don't need them but I guess some do.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 12:48 PM   #15
Platinum Member

FWIW, my husband is almost 6'2" (two back surgeries shortened him a bit) and has no trouble with the Sprinter seat. I rarely, if ever, have heard complaints about the Sprinter seat from anyone. The reviews are overwhelmingly positive.

The right vehicle seat would help, and you might also want to investigate whether your situation could be further improved by lifestyle adjustments. You didn't mention anything about your age, physical fitness regime, or general health. When I hear the word 'sciatica', the first thought into my head is "probably doesn't practice yoga". I've never met a person who has yoga as part of their fitness practice who suffers from sciatica or other lower back pain, unless they were previously injured prior to beginning yoga as a therapeutic intervention for exactly that condition. I was a cardio exerciser (mostly swimmer) and light weight trainer for many years and did not add yoga until my late 40's. I wish I had discovered it sooner because it improved my physical capacity more than any other type of exercise. Physically I can do more now than I could 15 years ago, on account of the yoga-induced core strength.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:45 PM   #16
Bronze Member

For the crashing sounds, it might be coming from:

Lid of the cooker
Corian sink cover
Hardware for the flip-up counter extensions (can't remember if Lexor had extensions or not)

I used either adhesive rubber feet or soft side of the adhesive velcro to make them go away.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:40 PM   #17
Bronze Member

Thank you all the replies, I spent the day tracking down the "crashing sound". Finally found it!

It was the microwave shelf! It was totally loose with no means of stopping any upward movement, ie bump or pot hole etc. Needless to say it is no fully secured and has a foam outline on the area under the microwave. The front fascia trim bracket also had several loose screws and the door hinge is now adjusted to not be a loose floppie hinge. We also put silicon pads on the curved upper cabinet doors and each door latch properly fine tuned. Hope all this reduces the noises.

Thanks but we know about simple rattles after 2 years in an old 1981 Westie! So glad I found it!

Cheers
Old 07-27-2017, 11:50 PM   #18
BBQ
Platinum Member

Bring lots of paper towel on your trips.
You will need them.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:52 AM   #19
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

Bring lots of paper towel on your trips.
You will need them.
Sorry I don't get it....
Old 07-28-2017, 02:45 AM   #20
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtc46jw View Post
Sorry I don't get it....
stuff the paper towel between rattling things.