Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2023, 07:49 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default US Debt Limit & Parks ?

US hit debt ceiling today. Fed says it will take measures to keep things going until June shutdown. I am wondering if National parks will be afflicted early on?

We were planning a 3 week trip to AZ & NM mid Feb. Planned to visit a mix of Natl parks, Monuments and State parks. I'm wondering if the doors will be closed?
Ken Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 11:58 PM   #2
Platinum Member

A question that nobody, even the government, knows the answer to... if or when...
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 01:14 PM   #3
Platinum Member

The only thing one can say with any certainty is that if the government "shuts down," the national parks will be immediately closed and will stay that way until the government "opens" again. Until then, it's an unknown so I guess we should be prepared for anything.

We have a first world problem in that we're lined up as camp host volunteers at a NP for the months of July & August. If the parks aren't open at that time, we'll just have to find something else to do.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 04:06 PM   #4
Platinum Member

National parks being closed means different things to different parks. Some are locked up, others have no facilities open but can still be accessed. It really depends on the park and that local management.
Previously: 1999 36' Foretravel, 1998 Newell, 1993 Newell
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 05:19 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Allan View Post
We were planning a 3 week trip to AZ & NM mid Feb. Planned to visit a mix of Natl parks, Monuments and State parks. I'm wondering if the doors will be closed?
I just noticed that you said in February. No reason why things would hit now.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 03:49 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
US hit debt ceiling today. Fed says it will take measures to keep things going until June shutdown. I am wondering if National parks will be afflicted early on?

They always say this stuff and argue etc. etc. then ultimately go ahead and raise the ceiling anyway. In the meantime they will do what they can to try and threaten and scare citizens to get what they want.
ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 03:57 PM   #7
Platinum Member

And the workers sent home without pay get a check later on. Free vacation for them.
Previously: 1999 36' Foretravel, 1998 Newell, 1993 Newell
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 05:24 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:

At the moment it sounds like paying anything involving real money -- like salaries -- is prioritized.

We really don't need a rerun of Aug 2011. Back then at least the GOP ultimately responded to its wealthy donors. I recently read an analysis that the balance of funding for many Republican seats has shifted to small donors, leading to the rise of ideologues who really don't care if the United States Treasury defaults.
rtbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 05:10 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Is this discussion getting too political?
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 12:38 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I am not sure if it is political or not but it is a practical discussion. Like many others on this forum, we have reservations in June for two weeks in a government campground. We have to make those reservations six months ahead of time and fight for our favorite campsites.

All that planning can be disrupted by a few members of the congress. I take all this very personally. I worked all my life so I could enjoy the rv lifestyle and other travel more when I retired and now a few can cause plans for me and millions of other Americans to be upset.

For me it ain't political. It is very personal.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 01:29 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
Is this discussion getting too political?
Moderators' note:
It is on the edge. We are allowing everything so far, since it has bee RV-relevant and the political references have been observations rather than judgments or advocacy. Everybody please be sensitive to the "no politics" rule of the list, though. If the politics continues, we will clean up the thread.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 01:53 PM   #12
Platinum Member

I seem to remember the last time this happened and number of years ago, we were just getting ready to go on a trip to a couple of National Parks and were quite worried. I think they were just starting to wind down the parks to close them when if finally got settled.

I hope it doesn't happen again this year as we do have plans again.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 02:11 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doneworking View Post
fight for our favorite campsites.
Does it take fighting just to go camping? If so, it's time to sell out and find something else to do..
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 03:46 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N147JK View Post
Does it take fighting just to go camping? If so, it's time to sell out and find something else to do..

It does a lot of places if you want a particular park, a particular campground, and even harder if you want a particular site. I hear stories all the time about those auto redialers and speed dialers to try to get through as soon as reservations open. Same with special internet tools.

Just try to get one of very nicest sites at Yosemite or some other popular place and you can find yourself behind an awful lot of people.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 05:08 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Just try to get one of very nicest sites at Yosemite or some other popular place and you can find yourself behind an awful lot of people.
I would never in a million years agree to do that. I sat in line to get into Arches one time, only to be turned around at the gate. It was infuriating. I'll never do it again. The small, less known NFS and dispersed sites are where we go now.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 08:17 PM   #16
Bronze Member

We experienced past government shutdowns. Most parks lock the bathroom doors (and other buildings) and they go home. Other had chased everyone out and locked the gates before they went home. There were no rangers and it looked like a free for all at some campgrounds. Not doing that, too many nuts in the world.
RTRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 05:10 AM   #17
Platinum Member

A few years ago, we follow weather conditions in California and drove into Yosemite just after major storm without reservation. About 25% campsites were vacated by folks escaping weather, so we stay for a few days, lucky us.

We often camp on Oregon coast or in our mountains, very rarely we reserve campsites, with time flexibility we have no issue finding a site. We usually go for trips starting on Sundays.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 12:30 PM   #18
Silver Member

Default 2011 While in Canada...

We took a two week trip to Canada in 2011. We left for home from Killarney. Made a quick stop in some store on the way. Got talking to a clerk and said we were on our way home to USA. He said... I think you can get across the bridge now. We said WHAT??.

The border had been closed when the Government shut down. We got to the bridge just after the border reopened! We had no idea of what was going on. (Bliss). --KenA
Ken Allan is offline   Reply With Quote