Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2013, 07:22 PM   #1

Default Use of spare tire propellant kit with compressor

My Pleasureway rb came with the emergency tire kit which uses a can of tire sealant with the use of air compressor for dispersal. This seems like a good idea but has anyone had the misfortune to need to use same and how did the repair go for you? Having worked for a german company for a time, I found that some of their engineering is very good but some not so wonderful. The major reason for my question is to find out if I could leave the spare at home and have more space under bed. Thanks for your help. Hope averyone has a wonderful summer. Just finished a 5000 mile trip and visited the Pleasureway factory to have warranty problems addressed. Most of the problems were dealer neglect and Neil at pleasureway made every attempt to take care of our concerns. Wonderful company but they need to work on rode repair in the province !
Pete
Ok pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:13 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Use of spare tire propellant kit with compressor

I wonder if you can get a continental spare tire kit that would hang the tire off of the tow hitch. (Can't really hang them from the door like with the old school Chevy vans since the Sprinter doors are too delicate.)
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

I just got a couple of quotes on adding a continental spare tire kit to my van, and they want around $1500 installed, and that's in the States. Parts are around $1000 by the quotes I've got.
Has anyone else added one of these systems, and can it be done DIY? Seems like a lot of money, when I could probably get one made at a custom welding shop for half of that.
Since our change of plans away from the trailer project, and decision to stick with the Roadtrek for a while longer, I'm (finally) looking for a way to reclaim that area under the bed. We plan to stay out longer than our current longest trip length of 21 days, and figure every little bit of inside space should be exploited. Not planning on taking more stuff with us, just looking for better distribution options for what we do take with us, and/or acquire while we're out there. We'll also be adding a passenger (cat) and his stuff will take up some space, too.
I'm sure this topic has been discussed elsewhere on here, but I'm thinking I may resurrect it in a separate thread. I also like that Haulmark mini-trailer (that looks like a Coleman cooler on wheels) that was mentioned in the "solar panel trailer" thread mlts22 started.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:28 AM   #4
Silver Member

Mike, there has been a craigslist ad in santa rosa ca for a kit that was taken off a roadtrek. Check it out, he still may have it, asking $40.!
sebtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:17 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Hey thanks for the tip.
I just finished reading the thread on "Jim's swing away" homemade welded spare mounting kit after searching the forum.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=470&p=1119&hilit=continental#p 1119
It looks like a simpler way to go, and all i need is a local welding shop and some ideas for what I want to do.
Since we're not in a hurry for it (got some other priorities), I can take some time to see what might work.