Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2012, 10:29 PM   #1

Default Used GM vs Used Dodge

I would like to know the preferences for used models of Dodge vs. Chevrolet chassis in Class B RVs, regarding reliability, serviceability, etc.

I'm getting the urge to buy a Roadtrek, but I seem to see more older Dodge versions for sale than Chevrolets. I'm not very familiar with either of them.

Are there particular versions one should prefer or to avoid?

Anything I should think about, regarding this?

Thanks,
ceegeemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:21 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Used GM vs Used Dodge

Welcome to the forum ceegeemm.

A general overview:

"Newer" Chevy vans will be based on either the 1996–2002 Chevy platform or the 2003 to present platform. More passenger seat legroom from 2003.
"Newer" Dodge vans will be based on the 1994 to 1997 or the 1998 to 2003 platform. New instrument panel from 1998.

Note that sometimes a RV will have 2 model years. A 2004 RV part on a 2003 chassis for example.

If you don't know much about vans then a newer one will probably be better for you. Things like airbags etc., could be important.
A mechanical inspection is advised. A test drive is a must. Check the age of the tires. A new set of tires could cost you $800 to a $1,000.

If you are particularly interested in used Roadtreks then be sure to visit their website. They have brochures dating back to 1978 available:
http://www.roadtrek.com/brochure_list.aspx

I'll rotate my wheels and change the oil myself etc., but I really don't know that much about the mechanical side. So hopefully, other members will contribute here and steer you in the right direction.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #3

Thanks for info. I welcome additional comment from others with experience with Dodge of Chevy.
ceegeemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:31 PM   #4
Platinum Member

My last GM was a 78 Chevy that I bought new and customised right out of college (in 7 so I don't have any experience with newer models. My latest however is a 99 American Cruiser class B on a 98 Dodge B3500 that I picked up in June. The 1 ton Dodge is perfect for the weight of the B. It has a nice ride, very good handing, even in gusty highway driving despite the fact that the AmCruiser is quite tall. So far we have had no trouble mechanically other than it has a minor vacuum leak - engine run great but wheh you accelerate, the vacuum actuated heater damper door goes haywire - according to a web search this is pretty common - they call it crazy damper syndrome. Prior to the Dodge, I had a 98 Ford E150 Sherrod high-top conversion. It had a lot of fancy wood trim high up which gave it a fairly high CG. The half ton chassis really wasn't a good choice given the weight. It didn't ride nearly as well as the Dodge even though the AmCruiser is a much heavier vehicle. I'd look for a 1 ton chassis regardless of which manufacturer you choose.
Good luck!
AmCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:50 AM   #5
Platinum Member

I held out until I could purchase the Chevy platform new. I had wanted a RT for years, and every time I seen one parked, I asked them questions. I heard about folks having problems underneath, stablizers or something like that. Also, I have to admit, I am a long time GM owner and familiar with their set ups. They are both great machines, and if you pick up a previously owned RT, you can rest assured the owner has take good care of it. Safe travels.