Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2017, 03:41 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Used RVs and old sensors, safety first

Last year I bought an older RV, 2005, from a private party and I didn't really know anything about them. It just sounded fun (which it is) and I was more concerned filling it with things I would need that I overlooked something very important.

The sensors, it wasn't until one of them went off repeatedly on my last trip that I gave any thought to them. Prior to this I did put the battery in the smoke detector and put it up while on a trip but I never looked at any of them. It was the propane sensor going off, we didn't have the propane on and I couldn't smell it and I'd had the propane system inspected recently. Fortunately I have all the paperwork for everything from the original owner. I discovered this sensor should have been replaced years ago, the CO sensor actually says on it to replace it in 2007. I'm sure this went off due to it's age but we were careful and kept the propane off most of the time, it was a pain. That's when I decided it would be best to replace all the sensors including the fire extinguisher when I got home. In my research I discovered everything should have been replaced a couple of times by now.

I'm waiting on one sensor but I've replaced the other sensors/fire extinguisher and put dates on them. I should have been thinking of those first not last. I suggest if you're looking for a used RV, look at replacing the sensors and fire extinguisher when you buy it or at least research when they need to be replaced, it's inexpensive and easy to do.

Due to my RVs age I plan to get the propane system inspected annually, it was the one thing I felt I did right.
Lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:50 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Good idea - thanks for the reminder!
Old 10-02-2017, 02:46 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Been down that trail. I went to purchase a new CO2 that out of date in the RV Store...we just have to check - the store sure doesn't. I would be leery of ordering one over th Net, withOut knowing the Expiration Date. Ron
Old 10-02-2017, 02:52 PM   #4
Platinum Member

We found in our 07 Roadtrek that the propane alarm would go off when charging the batteries sometimes, especially when in the well sealed up shop. It turned out to be the wet cell battery offgassing that was doing it, as there was an air opening gap from the battery compartment right into the where the charger was, and that area is connected to the bolster where the detector is mounted. Plugged the hole and it never happened again.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote