Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2020, 06:18 PM   #1

Default Used Zion Pricing and MSRP

Newly registered here and have gained a lot of knowledge already. Thanks.

I am looking at a 2016 Roadtrek Zion Srt with 19k miles, advertised for $74k.
On line research at rvguide says a MSRP of $82k.

Is the MSRP correct? If so, 74k is way overpriced. That would only be a 9% loss on 4 years depreciation and the Roadtrek warranty went away due to the bankrupcy (am I correct here, I read about dealers offering service but not warranty work). I'm thinking not more than 60k.

As a general question, when a used RV has an MSRP price, is that the original MSRP or just a BS number?

Thanks,
Wayne.
lesnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 10:19 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesnev View Post

I am looking at a 2016 Roadtrek Zion Srt with 19k miles, advertised for $74k.
On line research at rvguide says a MSRP of $82k.

Is the MSRP correct? If so, 74k is way overpriced. That would only be a 9% loss on 4 years depreciation and the Roadtrek warranty went away due to the bankrupcy (am I correct here, I read about dealers offering service but not warranty work). I'm thinking not more than 60k.

As a general question, when a used RV has an MSRP price, is that the original MSRP or just a BS number?

Thanks,
Wayne.
Welcome to the forum Wayne!

When I bought my "b" 2-1/2 years ago it was after shopping for year. I found on line pricing tools like NADA to be useless. I also found rv prices to be crazy high.

But, I wanted in and figured that was price of entry. When I found my Airstream Avenue, it was about $5-$10k less than comparable Roadtrek 190's I had been shopping and a very few of the rare Avenue models I'd seen. I got it for $2500 less than asking price and still figured I paid too much. But lately I've seen a few Avenues listed for more than I paid for mine. Crazy!

Yes, the price seems high. Only you can decide if it's for you by shopping around, being patient, and making a lower offer that you are comfortable with.

You know the Roadtrek story, so it sounds like you've done your homework. Good luck.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 04:09 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
I would go with BS. MSRP only relates to the first sale... a price supposedly set by the M... the manufacturer. They set no prices on used rigs. They don't care. LOL The original MSRP was much higher.

That price seems high to me too, but we don't know what options it has. Mileage is good. I'd say just make a lowball offer and see what happens.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 03:22 PM   #4

Thanks for the info rowie.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:23 PM   #5

mumkin, BS is what I trended to. I'll make a low ball and see what happens. Thanks.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:05 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
mumkin, BS is what I trended to. I'll make a low ball and see what happens. Thanks.
A lowball offer will put you in the ranks of tire-kickers in the eyes of many sellers. I had mine on the market for a while a year ago before changing my mind. I got a few lowball offers, and I immediately blocked the number and flagged the e-mail as spam.

MSRP for non-custom brands is pretty much just a number, and most new sales include significant discounting. But regardless of what something sold for new, all that matters is what people are willing to pay for it now. $74K seems on the high side, but not out of line for a dealer price that includes some negotiating room.

It's not hard to look up comps on RVTrader and Craigslist (using a nationwide tool like Search Tempest). Establish a price range for units with similar age and miles, discounting any obvious outliers, and make an offer toward the low end of that range as a legitimate starting point for negotiation.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:57 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:

Hi Wayne

Welcome

These last few days have seen a glut of articles ( probably spurred by trade association) saying that RV demand is higher than seen for years

( travel- covid isolation)

I think asking prices could be nutso until the market stabilizes

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:57 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
A lowball offer will put you in the ranks of tire-kickers in the eyes of many sellers. I had mine on the market for a while a year ago before changing my mind. I got a few lowball offers, and I immediately blocked the number and flagged the e-mail as spam.

MSRP for non-custom brands is pretty much just a number, and most new sales include significant discounting. But regardless of what something sold for new, all that matters is what people are willing to pay for it now. $74K seems on the high side, but not out of line for a dealer price that includes some negotiating room.

It's not hard to look up comps on RVTrader and Craigslist (using a nationwide tool like Search Tempest). Establish a price range for units with similar age and miles, discounting any obvious outliers, and make an offer toward the low end of that range as a legitimate starting point for negotiation.

The hard part on price comparing to other units is asking prices are pretty useless, and it can be very hard to find accurate selling prices anywhere. The only ones that seemed to be somewhat available are the sold listings on ebay, of which there aren't a lot of as most of the listings don't sell.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 07:03 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
It's not hard to look up comps on RVTrader and Craigslist (using a nationwide tool like Search Tempest). Establish a price range for units with similar age and miles, discounting any obvious outliers,

Good Advice, that is what I did

ALSO search for alternate spellings- mistakes

My seller had no calls for 3 months on his "PlaesureWay" ( Pleasure Way) and I watched his ad as it dropped in asking price over that time to 2/3
Then I called and bought ( I paid less than 1/3 of the original MSRP on an 8 year old)

Years ago I followed an ad for a Harley "FLHTZ" ( FLHTC) same story

Pleasureway, pleasure way, roadtrek, road trek, leisure travel, leisuretravel

try different names in a search

roadtrac leasuretravel...like that

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 04:27 PM   #10

We looked at and test drove Zions in 2016 (ended up with a Pleasure Way), and I’m pretty sure they had a price tag closer to 100k new.
CarolMerrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:48 PM   #11
Bronze Member

In Canadian $ your $74,000 US would be about $96,000 Cdn. Our Zion SRT s a 2018/2019 with all the options. We paid $95,000 Cdn + tax (about $75,000 US) for it new last year. We find the ecotrek system a bit complicated for us so asked the dealer what they would pay to take it back as a trade in. They said $91,000 Cdn. ($70,000 US) so that gives you an idea. You might be best buying in Canada. PS Ours comes with a 6 year transferable private coach warranty plus the Dodge warranty of course. It is a beautiful machine but we are in 70s and getting a little frustrated with the complexity of ecotrek. It has about 7,000 km on it. We don't have it for sale but we are interested in selling.
Weroadtrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:52 PM   #12

3 months ago we purchased a hardly used (900 miles) 2016 Zion (full sized, not srt) for 68k. Came with most options. Purchased from a consignment dealer in Florida. I believe a Gainsville dealer was advertising brand new units for 99k.
Villager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 12:29 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum Villager!
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 01:49 AM   #14
Bronze Member

(this is in response to OP - I realize it looks like it could apply to Villager's, but it isn't. )

That MSRP sounds low, are you sure you included/added all the options when you booked it out in NADA? I've also read the NADA online book values are inflated by 10% or more to keep dealers happy, so keep that in mind also.

The market for what you're looking for is very small, so prices remain high. Good luck with the negotiating! It all really depends on what the seller is looking for. Some are willing to wait for a year to sell, and they mean it. Others are just keeping the tire kickers away, but they'll come down. Just be sure you know what options you want, which it has, and the average used market listing price for one with the SAME or very similar options. I am thinking the seller might not go lower than $65k, and they'd be right to with summer coming up and if they're willing to wait. One never knows though!
HitchNride is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
msrp, zion