Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2022, 08:39 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default using solar for frig

so. we have a 1997 Xplorer Mur van HT It is quite similar to roadtreks
There is of course the small frig with freezer compartment under the counter so umm I have a jackery solar generator and solar panels- for use at home where power goes out a lot( rural ,many trees,) If we were boon docking can I access the frig plug somehow to plug it in?
The jackery will run my big home frig for 2 hrs and only go to 75% power so I can power it If I can access it Thanks
jeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 10:28 PM   #2
Platinum Member

With the model number of the fridge, you can determine which heating element it uses the wattage will indicate the power consumption... calculate extra for the DC fridge controls and then see if your battery has the capacity to run it and for how long
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 11:23 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Default frig plug

Ah we have had a miscommunication
I KNOW the solar generator can power this little frig
I need to plug the frig in to the generator and I wanted to know how to find the plug for the frig
Old 10-13-2022, 11:55 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Default powering off of solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeana View Post
Ah we have had a miscommunication
I KNOW the solar generator can power this little frig
I need to plug the frig in to the generator and I wanted to know how to find the plug for the frig

oh duh Just had aha moment Hit forehead with hand Although the weather would be a problem
if wet out ,
I could just charge up the Jackery via solar then I plug the van into IT just like I would plug into the house or a site charging station duh
Old 10-16-2022, 06:44 PM   #5
Platinum Member

My original Norcold 3-way absorption style refrigerator plugged into AC through a conventional outlet in the same compartment as the fridge. If I were to run such a unit with a Jackery or similar power-bank, I'd connect the battery bank to the refrigerator with as short an extension cord as I could manage.

I would not connect the shore power cable to the Jackery, because then it would attempt to power the DC converter and everything else in the RV expecting AC. That would drag down the power-bank in no time and might trip its overload protection.

Powering just the fridge ought to work for a long time.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 08:13 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Default solar/frig/thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsprinterguy View Post
My original Norcold 3-way absorption style refrigerator plugged into AC through a conventional outlet in the same compartment as the fridge. If I were to run such a unit with a Jackery or similar power-bank, I'd connect the battery bank to the refrigerator with as short an extension cord as I could manage.

I would not connect the shore power cable to the Jackery, because then it would attempt to power the DC converter and everything else in the RV expecting AC. That would drag down the power-bank in no time and might trip its overload protection.

Powering just the fridge ought to work for a long time.
Thank you for preventing disaster.I have solved the probelm .The frig is permanently installed .The manual does say the plug is accessible through t he vent. I had considered that but there were a zillion screws and two strange black plastic things with slots- which,it turns out, actually turn if one uses a slotted screwdriver and there was the answer to what I originally asked- there is the plug Easy peasy
Old 10-20-2022, 03:55 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Is it a 3 way? On propane it uses about a gallon a month
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote