Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2017, 04:27 PM   #1

Default Vans that i am looking at!

This van will be driven all over to work to play! I have a 2thousand pound boat i tow from lake and in the water. it is kept on Dry land so it will be towed to the water every weekd day! We like to camp near the lake and not drive back and forth to the lake, so i need somewhere to sleep, need storage for al of our stuff. I guess its like anything else how long something lasts but how long have any of you had your VANS? What do i do look for used? Or do i buy New? If i buy new i will have to wait a while. I installed a solar panel on my boat for the lights and radio, so i am sure I can do this with somethings on a van correct?

I was thinking something like this,

Conversion Van Land - Conversion Van Land - New Vans

Conversion Van Land - Conversion Van Land - New Vans
funnsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:13 PM   #2
Platinum Member

have a look and see if you can actually sleep the way you plan to.

check the tow capacity of the actual vans since that is important to you.

many of our class B RV's will tow 5000/500, but some do not have the capacity

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:53 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I'd also make sure that you can stand up comfortably inside any van like this, especially if you plan to do any cooking inside of it.
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:50 PM   #4
Platinum Member

At a van you are looking at, do as above, but try sitting on the toilet, look at the shower, sit at where you will be eating, try reading, and so on. Very important.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:11 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I drove a Mercedes Metris and really liked how it drove. Comfortable, good handling, braking and accelerating (for a van). Good luck with your search.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:36 PM   #6
Platinum Member

The vans you linked to are conversion vans not camper vans. Camper vans will have beds for sleeping, a kitchen that typically includes some type of way to keep food cold and some way to cook food, a toilet of some kind, maybe a shower, and are typically classified as RVs when they are registered and insured. Conversion vans are designed for traveling with more comfortable seats than comes in a standard van, they will not usually have any of the camper features included.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:52 AM   #7
Silver Member

"The vans you linked to are conversion vans not camper vans. Camper vans will have beds for sleeping, a kitchen that typically includes some type of way to keep food cold and some way to cook food, a toilet of some kind, maybe a shower, and are typically classified as RVs when they are registered and insured. Conversion vans are designed for traveling with more comfortable seats than comes in a standard van, they will not usually have any of the camper features included."

It would be nice if manufacturers offered a category between the Class B and the conversion vans. Maybe a lightened up, simplified 'B' with less bells and whistles, or a conversion van with a few very basic camping features with no console between driver and passenger seat and less rear seating. Something for people who are going to do less camping and more touring. Something that will fit in the garage. Class B-, maybe?
fruch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 01:31 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruch View Post
"The vans you linked to are conversion vans not camper vans. Camper vans will have beds for sleeping, a kitchen that typically includes some type of way to keep food cold and some way to cook food, a toilet of some kind, maybe a shower, and are typically classified as RVs when they are registered and insured. Conversion vans are designed for traveling with more comfortable seats than comes in a standard van, they will not usually have any of the camper features included."

It would be nice if manufacturers offered a category between the Class B and the conversion vans. Maybe a lightened up, simplified 'B' with less bells and whistles, or a conversion van with a few very basic camping features with no console between driver and passenger seat and less rear seating. Something for people who are going to do less camping and more touring. Something that will fit in the garage. Class B-, maybe?
A custom van with a pop-top from Sportsmobile or GTRV will fit in a garage depending on the chassis you use.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote