Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2020, 10:56 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
The oil catch can that I installed does have convoluted passage ways to catch the droplets. I believe it also has a course filter in the housing.

Does the can vent back into the intake or throttle body after the oil removal? I would think if it didn't, it could mess up the airflow to engine at times which would also alter the mixture. That happened a lot with original PCV setups as people would just lay the hose down and plug the throttle body hole. Subarus in cold weather were kind of famous for freezing up in cold weather if the hose was into the throttle body.

With the new EFI systems, I don't know how they are exactly setup with fuel metering. I do know the valve has to be exactly the right airflow and opening pressures, so likely does need to go into the inlet air someplace.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 01:54 AM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
One nice thing about our B while at home is I use it 2-3 times a week for local trips. That keeps it "exercised" without putting excess miles on it.
I'm also a frequent user of my van, a 2004 Freightliner 2500. I doubt it will wear out before it rusts out.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 04:33 PM   #23
Platinum Member

I have an 08 Chevy 3500 with 125k+. These things will go 200k 300k if cared for. I have not spent anything, except normal repair. I bought it used 2 years ago, so didn't have a history, but recently had the check engine light and had to get new plugs and wires, repar guy said they were original. Amazing, 125k and original plugs and wires. With all the MB diesel issues, I'm glad I own this reliable and less expensive chassis. You couldn't give me a MB...LOL
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 04:39 PM   #24
Platinum Member

My 1982 Ford E150 van is 38 years old, now with 300,000+ miles on the odometer and is still a daily driver. I change oil every couple years, top up the manual tranny lube, use cheapest gas I can find, and it still starts easy and runs great. Body is rusting away, interior looks like a raccoon home, tires are dry, windshield is cracked, AC quit years ago, but drivetrain is unstoppable.
Just sayin' that there are long lived products out there and it's a matter of choosing well, or selecting the "lesser of so many evils".
Peder_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 06:29 PM   #25
Platinum Member

This is a great discussion, I am a big believer in routine maintenance, and if you take care of the vehicle, it will take care of you, We have a 1997 Dodge Roadtrek, with the 318 motor, it’s 23 years old, very close to 400,000kms on the dial, I change the oil every 3000 miles or less, put on the biggest oil filter I can find, get my oil at Costco, usually the 5w30, regular oil, my neighbour is a mechanic, and he suggested to stay with regular oil, as in these older vehicles, the seals may leak a little if I was to switch to synthetics, tranny fluid I drop the pan a change it once a year, you never get all the tranny fluid out, but my tranny is still original, and still going strong, even after this summers trip up through the Rocky Mountains out west, I have done the front of the motor, with a new timing chain, water pump and all new pulleys, that engine just purrs, and starts first crank every time,.I have met other class B owners with nearly 600.000 miles on there old Dodge vans, and I always ask them how they get them to last that long, and every one said just change the oil on time, and it will go far... I know my van is old and a little tired and worn, but I am hoping for lots more fun and great excursions with it,,,It sounds strange, but I actually enjoy working on my old van just as much as I enjoy driving it,,,,now I have to go and do the brake master cylinder this weekend,, wish me luck,,,,take care,,,,,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BF0C98C6-AC58-4FFC-9E49-7B45B1D9635A.jpg (293.8 KB, 6 views)
peppster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:30 PM   #26
Joe
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to Joe
Default Joe

Mileage does not bother me. Help my buddy out at his used car lot. I bought at a dealer auction a 2008 Durango with over 200000 on it. Still running strong at 289000. Engine strong and quiet. Had a Titan truck with 70000 miles with bad motor. Our camper is a 1995 Xplorer class B on a Dodge 3500. Has the 360 with 60000 miles. Goes to Florida frim Maryland twice a year plus other trips.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 01:03 AM   #27

Hey all, I’m grateful for all of you who have posted-contributed. Thank you for realizes ��
bblakersfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:37 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Lots of personal stories about how long one given vehicle lasted, which is interesting and useful, but not what the point of the discussion was intended to be.

What to me is interesting is that there are modern engines failing way early in their life, it appears.

Another on showed up on the Minneapolis Craigslist today:

2017 Ford Fusion with 79K miles, turbo 6 cylinder so probably small ecoboost. New engine just installed by Ford. Said to have clean history and if true would make it not a flood car, but without a Carfax to see where is has been in the past, hard to know for sure.

This is the kind of listings I see quite regularly lately and nearly all having had warranty replacements put in by the manufacturers. I find it very unusual compared to even 3 years ago.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote