Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2023, 05:15 PM   #1

Default Ventline Range Hood Resistor

I have a 1994 Dodge Pleasure Way MPL. The resistor controlling the low speed on the range hood has failed. The unit model # is Ventline C 1085-20. The markings on the resistor have faded to the point where I can not read them.

I have spoken with the local Pleasure Way dealer and they were unable to find the Ventline model number. Internet search did not bring success. Pleasure Way was unable to help. Did a search online for Ventline which is now part of Dexter. No info on their site.

I did find some info from another model Ventline which indicated the resistor was 10 watt 7.5 ohm.

Anyone had this issue? Comments? Thanks.
alpitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 11:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpitt View Post
I did find some info from another model Ventline which indicated the resistor was 10 watt 7.5 ohm.
That is the correct resistor. And I found it on an old schematic somewhere but can't find my copy; a search provided this version of the schematic. Ventline encapsulated it so you couldn't see the standard markings. However, the resistance should be readable (but maybe not if it failed) with an ohm-meter (available on most voltage meters).

If you only replace the resistor, get one that supports higher power (wattage). The reason yours failed is that they get very hot, and that is a marginal wattage for the purpose.

All the Ventlines for RV, especially in that timeframe were the same fan/box exhaust unit with different outsides. The guts are essentially the same. I have a 95 Dodge 190P and it also had the C1085 unit. I never found a manual or other such either, but looking around at others and measurements and part numbers I did find they all had the same insides, except for those like yours that were 2-speed with the resistor.

I didn't have a 2 speed unit and wanted to have multiple, so what I did was add a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) Controller, 12V 3A (30W), instead, like this one. Now I can have as many speeds as I want. I also put in a separate switch (push-button) for the light so it could be controlled separately (my old one was 3-way switch: Light, Fan, Light+Fan). Now mine works quieter since I can lower the speed to what I need.

While you have your unit open, I'd suggest replacing the motor, too, (and maybe blade) which uses less amperage. 1.2A vs the older nearly 3A motor. And maybe the damper flap, too. Depends on the condition of yours, but that old, might be worth it.

Part Numbers:
  • Resistor: L7318-00 (7.5 ohm, 10 watt wirewound resistor)
  • Motor: BVD0218-00 13.6V, 1.2A (Replaces VA0164-01, ~3A) - smooth shaft with flat - $25
  • Fan-Blade: BVD0216-00 (Replaces VA0183-00) - smooth shaft with flat - $8
  • Damper Flap (Plastic): BCA0472-00 - $7

Good luck! It's really an easy job overall.
2006 Avon Adventurer 16
2000 Riot Hammer - Team Member Custom
inforiculturist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 12:07 AM   #3
Site Team

That is great advice, @inforiculturist -- especially the PWM info. Not only do you get continuous speed adjustment, you also save a LOT of power. Those resistors work by turning electricity to heat. A PWM controller works by turning off the power thousands of times a second.

I put a PWM controller on the air handler fan of my Espar hydronic heater. One of the best upgrades I did. In my new rig, I am also going to do it with the MaxxFan.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 01:45 PM   #4
otr
Gold Member

thanks for the great info!!! our 2000 RT190v range hood needs work, though I am thinking gutting it and adding a quieter fan would certainly be nice
otr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 04:45 PM   #5

Thanks for all that info inforiculturist. Maybe the variable speed is the way to go. I could use the original switch just for the light and add the second switch beside it. I don't think the fan unit has had that much use. The van only has 138,000km 86,000 miles on it. It does not appear that much cooking has gone on inside the van. Wouldn't be that hard to swap in a lower amperage fan unit either. Thanks again.
Old 03-07-2023, 03:20 PM   #6

Used one of these to control the fan speed and converted the original switch to light only. Had to drill a hole to mount the controller. 2 switch knobs side by side. Looks stock. Also had to fab a new switch/wire cover. Seems to work fine. A lot quieter. Sorry no pics. FYI.

https://www.amazon.ca/FTVOGUE-Contro...NsaWNrPXRydWU=