Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2017, 02:12 AM   #1

Default Volt Start Installed

Hi All
We are looking to buy a 2015 Roadtrek TS Adventurous and would like to have the volt start installed. The dealer is telling us $2500 to do this. Is this unreasonable? Any thoughts on after market instal? We are not new to RV's in general but very new to this system. Any thoughts are appreciated
larcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 02:22 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larcan View Post
Hi All
We are looking to buy a 2015 Roadtrek TS Adventurous and would like to have the volt start installed. The dealer is telling us $2500 to do this. Is this unreasonable? Any thoughts on after market instal? We are not new to RV's in general but very new to this system. Any thoughts are appreciated
TS's were never engineered to take voltstart. Has the dealer actually consulted roadtrek on this?

Assuming it is now possible based on what roadtrek is charging for build installs of voltrek i'd say 2500 is reasonable.
However guaranteeing it will work is another issue,

How many batteries in this TS. Why do you want voltstart? unless it's for pet air conditioning -and it's not always reliable-why get it.

Also does it's Connect system actually work?.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 03:54 AM   #3

Hum ... Interesting info. With the confusion of the sales person I am going to say they are assuming it can be done. They asked the service department for the quote. Who knows if the correct info on the specific unit was given. It has 4 batteries 1 240W solar panel. We have dogs... not that we would leave them for any length of time, but having the freedom to go into a restaurant and not worry about heat would be good. I am wondering if an extra solar panel and batteries would actually be the better investment then?
On the connect system... are you asking about the coach connect? We saw it and were told it was not set up yet... is that also a concern? We are looking at buying this weekend... should we be concerned about something else?
Old 01-21-2017, 04:02 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hum ... Interesting info. With the confusion of the sales person I am going to say they are assuming it can be done. They asked the service department for the quote. Who knows if the correct info on the specific unit was given. It has 4 batteries 1 240W solar panel. We have dogs... not that we would leave them for any length of time, but having the freedom to go into a restaurant and not worry about heat would be good. I am wondering if an extra solar panel and batteries would actually be the better investment then?
On the connect system... are you asking about the coach connect? We saw it and were told it was not set up yet... is that also a concern? We are looking at buying this weekend... should we be concerned about something else?
If you are talking running air conditioning, solar is pretty much not a consideration, as it can't make the necessary power. Engine generator or standalone generator is about the only option.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:02 AM   #5
BBQ
Platinum Member

Going to the restaurant?

If the RV is parked at the door,
you can install a remote start. It will cost one-tenth of Voltstart.
All you need to do is to click on the remote to start the engine once in a while.

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 12:51 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
No TS has ever gotten coach connect working,

Roadtrek stopped making the TS and coach connect for a reason.

Does this TS have an ONAN generator. that would work
Old 01-21-2017, 02:25 PM   #7

Thanks! Great info ... we may need to pass on this RV then. No on the generator... only under hood
Old 01-21-2017, 02:36 PM   #8
Site Team

A simple alarm system (such as the Viper 5704 that I installed) will transmit the interior temperature easily up to 1/2 mile (they claim "up to one mile", but that is a bit exaggerated) and display it on the key fob. No cell service required.

I'm not a dog person, but couldn't you simply watch the temperature while enjoying dinner and if it gets hot simply go out and start the engine?
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 02:45 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I think it is time for some enterprising, pet loving, engineer to invent a climate controlled pet crate, so you would only have to heat or cool a small area.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 02:50 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I think it is time for some enterprising, pet loving, engineer to invent a climate controlled pet crate, so you would only have to heat or cool a small area.
I guess this doesn't count?:

It has a window...
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 02:51 PM   #11

LOL!!! We have had many a brain storming discussion on how to do that!
Old 01-21-2017, 02:52 PM   #12

I did notice a few 2016 TS still out there... is the problem with the connect system to the whole TS model?
Old 01-21-2017, 03:15 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
I did notice a few 2016 TS still out there... is the problem with the connect system to the whole TS model?
The video roadtrek showed originally was at a campground. The connect system AND the tablet used were both connected to the campgrounds wifi.

However i have never seen a CELL connection done in the usa that succeeded.

I assume you want to access from your CELL phone screen using a Cell connection.

If you want this TS but don't care if you have a working connect system or working Voltstart- i would go for it but offer less.

I don't know of any other issues that other roadtreks don't sometimes have.

You should perform a search of this site on the TS. we have had several disatisfied owners-mostly because of the inability of Connect to work on a cell system.

However i warn you-search here doesn't always get good results

when roadtrek first put connect in TS the plan was to offer it in other models-
they never have
Old 01-21-2017, 03:31 PM   #14

REALLY appreciate the info
Old 01-24-2017, 08:07 PM   #15
Platinum Member

larcan -did you buy the TS
Old 01-24-2017, 08:26 PM   #16

we have the deal in and hoping to finalize this week.... Thanks for all the input! We will not put the money into the Volt Start (interesting that another dealership in the same chain said their location will not install after market any more) The connect unit was recalled on this unit and has been replaced... we will see what happens
Old 01-24-2017, 11:16 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
we have the deal in and hoping to finalize this week.... Thanks for all the input! We will not put the money into the Volt Start (interesting that another dealership in the same chain said their location will not install after market any more) The connect unit was recalled on this unit and has been replaced... we will see what happens
are you sure a new one will solve the issue. the problem was cell connection not the device itself.

If you don't care about connect go ahead. But if you do i would insist they have a working connect before you finalize deal.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:29 PM   #18

I am honestly not sure it will fix the issue but for us with the price we got it is not a deal breaker and it still has 4 years of warranty so if something is not fixable I guess we will see what is offered. I think the info you gave us helped us to go in eyes wide open.
Have you seen an ability to upgrade batteries being helpful with being able to run things like the air con? If we are not putting the additional $ into the Volt start we may consider so other upgrade
Old 01-25-2017, 02:22 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
I am honestly not sure it will fix the issue but for us with the price we got it is not a deal breaker and it still has 4 years of warranty so if something is not fixable I guess we will see what is offered. I think the info you gave us helped us to go in eyes wide open.
Have you seen an ability to upgrade batteries being helpful with being able to run things like the air con? If we are not putting the additional $ into the Volt start we may consider so other upgrade
i thought this was new?
Old 01-25-2017, 03:02 AM   #20
BBQ
Platinum Member

Don't throw good money after bad.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roadtrek