Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2018, 05:22 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default VW Camper possible NA presence.

DIY fellow shared this video in the Sprinter Forum. 5 years too late for us, had to do my own DIY. Imagine this van at VW dealer for $60-70K. VW would have done “a little better” financially selling Californias in California instead cheating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=1UrqFc3VaDk
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:14 PM   #2
Platinum Member

If VW or Mercedes ever sold campervans stock, people would beat a path to their door, especially if they had pop-tops, showers, and some sort of cassette toilet system. Bonus points for a hybrid model that could allow an auxiliary A/C or heater to be run when the vehicle is stopped.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 03:35 PM   #3

Default Still waiting

Very much still waiting for a small footprint campervan.
VWWeekender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 04:16 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I was very close to getting a pop top installed on a Mercedes Metris and then getting the Reimo camper conversion kit installed (Reimo Americas Website). Seemed like the closest thing I could get to replace my aging 2002 Eurovan Camper; but a lot of work!

I settled on a Carado Axion (Axion Website), it's under 18' long so it's close to the Eurovan in length and having the internal bathroom and modern heater / water heater were big upgrades! I'm also loving the high top (not opening the pop top anymore). I'm lucky that my garage ceiling is high enough that I was able to install a 10' door and get this beast inside. Turns out that it was *much* easier to change my 8' garage door to a 10' door than it would have been to convert the Metris.
kite_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:08 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Nice...but $70k?

I'll put my Jucy Town and Country up against the California any day. Yes, my vehicle has fewer bells and whistles, but not really many. GPS, sound, video, LED lighting...it's all there. I can add a larger capacity house battery to match the California's 144 AH.

- My bed is as long and wider, and the Penthouse sleeper similarly bigger and likely more comfy than the California's pop-up, and it's easier to access by ladder. (Yes, it is also wetter than inside access when it rains.)

- My kitchen is under the tailgate, but that allows for that larger bed and the sliding doors on both sides of the vehicle. (I also prefer cooking with butane to propane.)

- The tailgate allows the addition of a vehicle-fitted tent to provide a permanent presence at campsites while out touring, not to mention 81 sq ft of additional protected living space.

- The VW is about six inches shorter than the T&C, which is one inch narrower. And Jucy seats five with belts (VW four), and more than sufficient motive power. VW rates 30 mpg, T&C 25.

The base 2018 T&C MSRP is $32,300. Leaves a lot of room for building out and upgrades. And you can have it "today".

Click here for the VW Brochure
Old 05-11-2018, 07:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kite_rider View Post
I was very close to getting a pop top installed on a Mercedes Metris and then getting the Reimo camper conversion kit installed (Reimo Americas Website). Seemed like the closest thing I could get to replace my aging 2002 Eurovan Camper; but a lot of work!

I settled on a Carado Axion (Axion Website), it's under 18' long so it's close to the Eurovan in length and having the internal bathroom and modern heater / water heater were big upgrades! I'm also loving the high top (not opening the pop top anymore). I'm lucky that my garage ceiling is high enough that I was able to install a 10' door and get this beast inside. Turns out that it was *much* easier to change my 8' garage door to a 10' door than it would have been to convert the Metris.
Hey Kite Rider, have you seen the MetriVan? Sounds like you found your answer already but you still might wanna check it out! https://www.metrivan.com/
brandiearv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:29 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandiearv View Post
Hey MLTS22, have you checked out the MetriVan? Seems pretty close to what you're describing! Built on the Mercedes-Benz Metris chassis, pop-top sleeper, several options for more customization. No cassette toilet or shower but those would likely be included in the "Long Haul" model they are developing. https://www.metrivan.com/
Is this an advertising for the same concept which started as a Kickstarter last year. It looks the same with a rear gate outside kitchen.
http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5/metrivan-7094.html
Old 05-11-2018, 08:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Is this an advertising for the same concept which started as a Kickstarter last year. It looks the same with a rear gate outside kitchen.
http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5/metrivan-7094.html
Hey George--that is the same vehicle! I wasn't aware that it had been discussed on this forum previously, but I guess you already have seen it!
brandiearv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:34 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hey Kite Rider, have you seen the MetriVan? Sounds like you found your answer already but you still might wanna check it out! https://www.metrivan.com/
Hadn't seen it before, but looks really cool! Not sure what the association with Advanced RV is, but I love a lot of their products - hope they adopt some of that tech. I'd be curious to see the 'Long Haul' version, sounds more like what I'd be shopping for.
kite_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:55 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hey George--that is the same vehicle! I wasn't aware that it had been discussed on this forum previously, but I guess you already have seen it!
I wish you best in this endeavor. I bought 2 Westfalia VW campers, one in 1977 and the second one in 1985. In 2013 couldn’t buy one so I made one. A simple, Westfalia like layout, with FACTORY modern fit and finish, at right price, tuned for right market could be a winner. But, I still hope VW will bring their California and you will have to compete at this level, competition challenges are good.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:33 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kite_rider View Post

Sister has a Diesel T6 Transporter Motorhome, that she has just finished driving 4000km too and around Western Australia She is now preparing too go too Northern Queensland an equally long journey. She took about a month to do the
Western Australian trip
Robert Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote