Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2021, 02:43 PM   #1

Default Walmart overnight etiquette...

Hello all, I understand that extending a slide when overnighting at Walmart is an etiquette faux pas, but what are your thoughts on pushing up a pop-up top, like on a Solis 59PX?
Thanks in advance! Greg
SpiderMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 03:12 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Slides are extended all the time at Walmarts from what I have experienced. in most RVs especially the few Bs and B+s with slides in this forum they are practically required. Same with pop-tops. If you do so put your RV out on the fringes of the parking lot. What is a no no is setting up camping outside your RV including camp chairs. You are not camping, you are only using accommodations to sleep overnight. Also, leave no trace on leaving. That's my interpretation.

Thats for Walmart and Cracker Barrel type overnights. Harvest Host is somewhat looser. You often interact with the owner and other RVers. Most set aside sites or close by 5 PM if using the parking lot.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 03:56 PM   #3

Thanks for the response Davydd, I was told by a Walmart manager that slides out were verboten anywhere in the parking lot. Perhaps its different around the country. I would think going vertical as in a pop-up would be ok. Just curious if others had first hand experience with Walmart managers and pop-ups.
Old 06-21-2021, 05:23 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMD View Post
Thanks for the response Davydd, I was told by a Walmart manager that slides out were verboten anywhere in the parking lot. Perhaps its different around the country. I would think going vertical as in a pop-up would be ok. Just curious if others had first hand experience with Walmart managers and pop-ups.

Welcome to the forum SpiderMD!

We always call the Walmart to make sure over-nighting is ok. If it is, I'm pretty sure a pop-top won't get you kicked out.

Over time, you will see egregious examples of abuse of the Walmart etiquette (the "no-no's" previously cited by Davydd). It is these instances that will eventually ruin it for the rest of us.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 06:13 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Always good to call or check with the manager. The Walmart close to us doesn't allow overnight..period. I believe, though, that it is a city restriction and not Walmart's. The nearby residents did not want the Walmart and Walmart had a battle getting it in. Perhaps that was an area of compromise since it sat right on top of a residential area.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 06:21 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMD View Post
There are thousands of Walmarts and of course thousands of managers. Not all have the same outlook. Maybe the manager of the Walmart you talked to had some bad experiences. Not all Walmarts allow you to stay overnight for various reasons - bad experiences, location, municipal policies and laws, etc. That's why you have to ask. I once was at a Walmart with over 20 RV's staying the night. Quite a few Walmarts have semi trucks staying and those are not all making deliveries to Walmart.

I'm a retired Target Store architect. I once toyed with the idea of having magnetic red target bullseyes to put on my doors. Target policy is not to allow overnights so I was thinking I could get by with that and I once knew many of the managers was intimately involved with over a thousand of their stores. 14 years retired now has put a damper on that idea.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 07:21 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Hi Greg,
Welcome to the forums.

we use walmarts when we are moving from one area to another on the interstates

typically a 5 or 6 hour rest stop as many states don't allow us to use highway rest stops for actual "resting"
( thank you Oregon for sensible policies)

we often find others there and will park away from the store so customers can park and get in and out, we also make sure not block access to loading docks for big trucks

we see slide outs used as by many as that maybe the only way they can set up for sleep or eating

we try to spend a few bucks in the store, and we keep it clean. we may use the restroom but save birdbathing and shaving for another time

some municipalities don't allow the stores/businesses to host us

fair enough, thank you
but your store may be loosing out on revenue
and you may be forcing sleepy drivers to push on

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 09:16 PM   #8
Platinum Member

We heard a lot about Walmart getting rid of the overnight parking, but it has only gone away randomly so far, it appears, in the area we go to.

We also talk to the manager before staying but even that sometimes isn't enough to not get booted.

In Sacramento we got permission from the manager and then 3 hours later had a tow truck guy banging on the door saying to leave or be towed. We said the manager said it was OK, and he said the night security guy overrides the manager all the time and then kicks out everyone. This was about 3 years ago.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 01:16 AM   #9

Default Thank you!

Thank you to all those who responded!