Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2018, 02:30 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Want ideas for making couch/bed cushion more comfortable

I have a 1999 Roadtrek 190 Popular with the twin beds. I sleep on one twin bed and have my dogs' crates on the other bed. I'm planning on full-timing in my RT after I retire in just a few years, but I would be interested in hearing ideas on what other people have done to make those seat cushions more comfortable. The seat cushion is great to sit on, but I find them a bit too firm for sleeping on. Plus, I'm trying to come up with an idea to make the twin bed a bit wider without making the bed go clear across. Currently I have an orthopedic foam mattress pad from Walmart on the bed. I bought a twin pad and then cut it to fit the seat cushion. I recently saw a photo of a Pleasure Way for sale in which they had actually replaced one of the twin beds with an actual twin Beauty Rest mattress! It looked like they had made a little platform for it to sit on since the mattress extended into the aisle. They still had the regular seat cushion on the other twin bed and still had some aisle space, but the mattress was taller than the seat cushion. This wouldn't work for me since my dogs' crates would need to sit on one bed, and the other bed would be both my couch and bed. I'm thinking about possibly having a platform made though so I could widen the bed, similar to what I saw with the Beauty Rest mattress. Currently, the main problem is that any store bought mattress pad would need to be cut to fit the twin bed. What have people here found to be good solutions?
Pam G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 02:38 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Froli

I would suggest to research Froli springs bed base. Not too expensive and tunable for weight. https://www.froli.com/en/bed-systems/ Froli Sleep Systems by Nickle Atlantic, LLC
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 02:44 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I think you will be able to get what you want pretty easily. The platform should be straight forward to any width you want.

As long as you are OK with foam for the mattress itself, you can get a custom mattress made in whatever firmness you want.

There is a mattress builder quite close to you that should be able to help you out. We have one of their latex foam mattresses that we had made by them in our house. (the van one is from a marine custom mattress company and was expensive) The one they made for us was much less expensive than anything we found in stores or at other custom shops.

Minnesota Mattress Factory in Kenyon Mn.

Home | Minnesota Mattress Factory Store - Sleep Great, Live Better.

Ask for Kirk, he is a good guy and owns it. If you go there, you will be surprised as it is a very old school place, but I kind of like that kind.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 04:37 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
I would suggest to research Froli springs bed base. Not too expensive and tunable for weight. https://www.froli.com/en/bed-systems/ Froli Sleep Systems by Nickle Atlantic, LLC
Thanks so much for that info! Their system looks really interesting!
Old 10-03-2018, 04:42 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Minnesota Mattress Factory in Kenyon Mn.

Home | Minnesota Mattress Factory Store - Sleep Great, Live Better.

Ask for Kirk, he is a good guy and owns it. If you go there, you will be surprised as it is a very old school place, but I kind of like that kind.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Booster, for this information! This looks like a good possibility too!
Old 10-03-2018, 05:18 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Don't know how tall you are, but making the "bed" wider will concurrently make the "seat" deeper, front-to-back so you may have to also add more cushions for your back.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:26 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I wanted a wider bed in my 210 Popular.

This is my solution:http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...-bed-5823.html

I use the seat back cushion against the wall and the bottom cushion toward the aisle. I also added a 1" memory foam cushion for a standard twin size bed. For me, it is super comfortable.
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:45 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
I wanted a wider bed in my 210 Popular.

This is my solution:http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...-bed-5823.html

I use the seat back cushion against the wall and the bottom cushion toward the aisle. I also added a 1" memory foam cushion for a standard twin size bed. For me, it is super comfortable.
Thank you for posting this! Looks like what I was thinking of doing, but you have a great solution with the brackets, etc.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:16 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Default small mattress

I found my Roadtrek 170 cushions a bit uncomfortable, so I headed to Target to search for a mattress topper. After considering a foam topper, a backpacking mattress, or a folding dog bed, I ended up buying of all things -- a crib mattress. It fits in the middle of the bed and then I position the rest of the original cushions around it, and stack one of the extra cushions to elevate my head.

It keeps my back and behind quite comfortable, and it makes it easier to slide in and out. And I sleep like a baby.
Nic7320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 02:47 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic7320 View Post
I found my Roadtrek 170 cushions a bit uncomfortable, so I headed to Target to search for a mattress topper. After considering a foam topper, a backpacking mattress, or a folding dog bed, I ended up buying of all things -- a crib mattress. It fits in the middle of the bed and then I position the rest of the original cushions around it, and stack one of the extra cushions to elevate my head.

It keeps my back and behind quite comfortable, and it makes it easier to slide in and out. And I sleep like a baby.
I love the creativeness and ingenuity people have. I would never have thought of doing this.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:39 PM   #11
Platinum Member

You've probably thought of this but on my 1997 PW the seat cushions are also the bed cushions for twin beds. A bit cramped for me in terms of width. But they are held in place by blocks on the bottom. I've thought about adding another set of blocks so that the cushions could be moved several inches toward the isle. It would create a gap at the wall that could be filled in with something. I really only need a few more inches. But I am not full-timing
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:13 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
You've probably thought of this but on my 1997 PW the seat cushions are also the bed cushions for twin beds. A bit cramped for me in terms of width. But they are held in place by blocks on the bottom. I've thought about adding another set of blocks so that the cushions could be moved several inches toward the isle. It would create a gap at the wall that could be filled in with something. I really only need a few more inches. But I am not full-timing
I have a friend with a 1994 PW, and her twin beds are similar to mine, so I imagine yours are similar too. If I moved the seat cushion out far enough, I could fill in the gap with the seat back cushions. I would need to put the little drawers/cabinet that sits between the twin beds on the floor though. Currently I keep the twin bed that I sleep on made up as my bed with sheets, blanket, and pillow. I have a thin dog pad (fleece on bottom side and smooth fabric on top) that covers the middle of the bed during the day, when I'm using it as a couch and the dogs might be on it. I like being able to keep the bed made up as a bed, instead of having to do that every night. I'd also like to keep the little cabinet in place and be able to access to the 2 drawers that slide out from under the twin beds without having to move my bed to get to them. Sounds like I want too much! LOL! There are just a few inches between the twin bed/seat cushion and the cabinet, so I'm thinking that maybe a custom mattress could be made that's just a little wider (3 or 4 inches) than the current seat cushion. Besides the current mattress/seat cushion being a little narrow at 28-29 inches, I just find it a bit too hard to be comfortable, so I've been trying to find a way to make it more comfortable. A quicker solution may be to buy a twin size memory foam mattress topper and cut it to fit.

I did meet someone recently who altered the bed set-up completely in his Roadtrek. He took out the cabinet and the drawers so that he could have the king size bed down all of the time, and the storage space goes clear across underneath the bed (access from the back doors). Interesting solution to being able to access the storage space.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:13 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Pam: What I did with the Nightstand between the twin beds was to toss it. (Not really but it's in my garage). I replaced it with something that I made from a drawer box that was unused from a kitchen install (in my home). I took the box (which happened to fit the space perfectly) and made a top from a formica board and hinged it in the back. It sits lower than the original nightstand. Right now my wife and I are comfortable with the narrow twin beds (the nightstand was very confining). But I could do what I suggested and move the beds inward a few inches. Even if you didn't fill the gap between the cushion and the wall with anything it would still be more comfortable. Let me know if you want to see the setup and I'll give you my email address.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:15 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Also: The hinged drawer box provides as much storage space as the original 2 drawers in the nightstand did.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:05 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Pam: What I did with the Nightstand between the twin beds was to toss it. (Not really but it's in my garage). I replaced it with something that I made from a drawer box that was unused from a kitchen install (in my home). I took the box (which happened to fit the space perfectly) and made a top from a formica board and hinged it in the back. It sits lower than the original nightstand. Right now my wife and I are comfortable with the narrow twin beds (the nightstand was very confining). But I could do what I suggested and move the beds inward a few inches. Even if you didn't fill the gap between the cushion and the wall with anything it would still be more comfortable. Let me know if you want to see the setup and I'll give you my email address.
I'd be interested to see a picture. I don't have any wood working tools and would have to have someone else make it, but I'm curious to see what you did. Thanks!
Old 10-16-2018, 05:26 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Pam. Will do. I'm out of the country right now so it's going to be sometime in November.

glenn
Old 10-17-2018, 04:39 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Pam. Will do. I'm out of the country right now so it's going to be sometime in November.

glenn
That's fine, Glenn. Thanks! Have a good time on your trip!

Pam

Tags
mattress, mattress pad, twin bed