Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2018, 10:23 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Wanted: Mid-Atlantic Van Conversion Recommendation

I am exhausted from flipping around like a fish out of water with deciding on a very basic camper van. A new camper van that can legally accommodate two child car seats cost well over 80K. My budget is more like 50K . Anyone know of a place in the Mid-Atlantic area that will convert a new van into a basic camper? I have only found ones that specialize in work and mobility van conversions.

I made a list of what my true needs are and how the van will really be used. The van will basically be used for transportation to the destination and sleeping. When visiting relatives or camping we will be using their amenities and eating out.

Please recommend what you think is my best route to have the following added to a new ProMaster...should I start off with a cargo or a passenger van? I love watching the DIY van conversion videos, but I do not have the skills to build one.

Need:
Seats for two child car seats
2 Single Beds that can convert to full
Roof Top AC/Heat in rear
Insulation
Window screens & shades
UHG
RV Awning Windows
Portable Toilet
Ceiling Fan
Remote Start
Airbags for second row passengers

Don't Need:
Kitchen
Bathroom
Water
Propane
Refrigerator
Cabinets
Awning

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated . I researched adding seats to existing camper vans, but I am told by companies they need to do it before the build.
Travato 59 G only has one anchor for a child car seat in the dual seat behind the driver.
Oliver2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:54 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver2017 View Post
My budget is more like 50K . Anyone know of a place in the Mid-Atlantic area that will convert a new van into a basic camper? I have only found ones that specialize in work and mobility van conversions.
Sportsmobile will build you whatever you want but they are not on the east coast. Also a new Promaster is going to cost you around 40k so that would not leave much for the conversion. I think with that budget you are in the used market.
1980 ? Pickup Camper
DCHitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:05 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I think Moorehead Designs is in that area, and he will build whatever you want.

Yep, here it is:

http://www.moreheaddesignlab.com/
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:10 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Sportsmobile was closed this past week...I will try calling them this week. From their website it appears there are some items that can't be deleted so I was shying away from them...plus their location is not ideal.

I am not looking to tow or add a lot of weight so I can save with going with the smallest wheelbase and stay with the ProMaster 1500. Do I dare get a low roof if adding a fan and ac unit?
Old 01-02-2018, 12:39 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Custom Camper Van conversions dodge ram mercedes sprinter pr[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the link...a lot of good design ideas on their website. I will check them out if I don't get any recommendations for places closer to Maryland. They are about 500 miles away from me and the Sportmobile in Indiana is about 550 miles.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:54 AM   #6
GAH
Bronze Member

I believe Morehead sold out of the conversion business. The new company is Blue Ridge Adventure vehicles. I spoke with him a couple months ago about a build but I want a full bath/shower which he doesn’t like to do. I think he would be a good person for you to talk with. I have heard very good things about his builds:
Blue Ridge Adventure Vehicles |
GAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 02:58 AM   #7
GAH
Bronze Member

Or check out this simple van conversion kit at Wayfarevans.com
Old 01-02-2018, 10:03 PM   #8
Platinum Member

https://wayfarervans.com/

The correct link for Wayfarer vans. The link in the post above is no good.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:56 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver2017 View Post
From their website it appears there are some items that can't be deleted so I was shying away from them...
I was wrong about Sportmoblie...I called today and there is no problem deleting items from the build.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:30 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Come over to promasterforum.com. Lots of good folk, good ideas and recommendations.

You definitely want high roof. I've never seen even a commercial build with airbags for second row passengers.
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:38 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
Come over to promasterforum.com. Lots of good folk, good ideas and recommendations.

You definitely want high roof. I've never seen even a commercial build with airbags for second row passengers.
Yea, the rear airbags are going to be next to impossible to implement.

Moorehead built my van and the guy who bought Moorehead worked for him so I can recommend his work. It's top notch stuff. However be specific on what you want. Your budget, however, may be a problem.

However as MsNomer said, check out promasterforum.com as most of those guys built their own vans. You can learn a lot over there.
nebulight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:29 PM   #12
GAH
Bronze Member

The only one I know with second row airbags are these guys. They build on a minivan platform and can customize any way you want. If you by chance already have a van they can do it for about $30,000
I saw one at the Atl rv show. It is different but built well and very functional.

Maxvan Mini RV:
https://youtu.be/WmW3IVylmGU
Old 01-03-2018, 06:51 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Most vehicles seem to not consider second row airbags as necessary, but that certainly doesn't mean they wouldn't be safer.

What I have heard, and read, quite a bit is that a 5 point seat belt setup can be as, or more, effective as a 3 point with and airbag. For a second row where the stuff in front of you is softer and further away than in the front seats, it might even be more of a good idea.

Anyone ever tried that?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:43 PM   #14
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=MsNomer;66255]Come over to promasterforum.com QUOTE]
Thank you for the link!
Old 01-04-2018, 06:36 PM   #15
Platinum Member

You are very welcome. Even if you don't do the work yourself, you will gets loads of ideas of what you want/don't want. Be sure to check out the thread called "Floorplans."

I call the forum the "Pinewood Derby for Grownups." We start with the same box, but every build is different.
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:11 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAH View Post
The only one I know with second row airbags are these guys. Maxvan Mini RV:
https://youtu.be/WmW3IVylmGU
Very cool! Thank you!!!
Old 01-12-2018, 01:51 PM   #17
Silver Member

The last time I spoke with Sportsmobile about building a van they quoted a 14 month wait to get started. That was their Austin location, about six months ago. FWIW.
VanFan is offline   Reply With Quote