Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2015, 07:35 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Question Warm LED Lighting

Our 2013 Roadtrek was installed with LED lights throughout. I love LED's for lots of reasons but one thing I do not like about these it the color temperature. Ours seem to be in the 5000k-6000k range. Bright White.

Anyone else wanted to change theirs out? Or adjust the color temperature so it does not feel like you are in a jewelry store? Any other ideas?

We tend to end up using the front cabin lights and plug in a 12v reading lamp in the back because it is so jarring to have the overhead lights on at night.

We have considered adding a colored film and replacing all the LED's but at 12 a module that would be a marathon to complete.

IMG_9463.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg
photolimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 03:51 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I prefer "brown light"- warm light like incandescent, below 3000º

My 06 PW uses incandescent bulbs in most positions- I tried some leds and the didn;t meet expectations for color temperature, dispersion or service life.

I have been switching over all my 12 volt yard lights ( malibu) to philips leds w/ T3 bases. these bulbs are under $7 at home depot.

I am going to look at changing the lamp holder in the van to T3 from the bayonet style...rather than swap the entire fixture.

That shoul dgive what we want.

the philips have good temperture/color, dispersion and the service life is proving itself in the front yard every evening

I work in live concert production- lighting gel may suit you.

if you have a concert lighting supplier or company in your city call them up and ask if they have a swatch book you can have.
or try a local theater

gel not only come in colors but also diffusion which cut harsh glare

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:54 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
I am going to look at changing the lamp holder in the van to T3 from the bayonet style...rather than swap the entire fixture. The philips have good temperture/color, dispersion and the service life is proving itself in the front yard every evening.
So you would recommend changing the entire fixture? Where might one look for this? What is the cost spread?

Quote:
I work in live concert production- lighting gel may suit you. If you have a concert lighting supplier or company in your city call them up and ask if they have a swatch book you can have or try a local theater. Gel not only come in colors but also diffusion which cut harsh glare
So I would ask for a "gel swatch book"?
Old 12-03-2015, 06:27 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Photolimo

Is there a manufacturer name on the fixture? They might make different color temp modules for that fixture. Maybe not, but worth checking.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:36 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
Is there a manufacturer name on the fixture? They might make different color temp modules for that fixture. Maybe not, but worth checking.
I looked for one but could not find anything. The only markings I found were on the PCB board (pictured above) and that did not produce anything remotely helpful.

LM-2811322-1

LM-CLW1CS-01
Old 12-03-2015, 07:04 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
I have been switching over all my 12 volt yard lights ( malibu) to philips leds these bulbs are under $7 at home depot.

I am going to look at changing the lamp holder in the van from the bayonet style...rather than swap the entire fixture.
here's what i have ordered... so cost will be about $6 per fixture- led bulb + adpater

10 Lot Socket Adapter for MR11 MR16 G4 Bi Pin to Bayonet BA15S 1156 Types | eBay

Mike
Old 12-03-2015, 07:27 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I see an oval board with 2 wires. How are the wires attached to the board on the back. Socket and pins?

I ask because if it has a quick disconnect pin/socket, then you might be able to replace to whole board and it does not have to be oval to work - just has to fit into fixture. I did similar with my EVC.

Check out SuperBrightLEDs - dense site, but I think this link will help.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/bi-pin-bulbs-rv/

On most you will find info on current draw, color temp (K), beam angle, lumens, etc.
Old 12-06-2015, 03:04 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
here's what i have ordered... so cost will be about $6 per fixture- led bulb + adpater

10 Lot Socket Adapter for MR11 MR16 G4 Bi Pin to Bayonet BA15S 1156 Types | eBay
Mike
Talking to the seller he has some alternate products/ideas.

There is an electronics swap here the 20th where he'll have a booth, so i'll go get some hands on.

Mike