Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2020, 01:48 AM   #61
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
On one site I found that Valterra is using Santoprene, a derivative of EPDM, not good for many organic oils and many solvents. I doubt very much any WD40 is good for it.

https://roboworld.com/wp-content/upl...patibility.pdf

https://www.partswarehouse.com/Repla...m?Click=365719

It would be best not to use any lubricants with a valve which doesn’t need lubrication.

IIRC, Santoprene is a thermoplastic elastomer, not a cured (thermoset) one, so it is kind of like a flexible plastic and is much cheaper and easier to mold. We tried using it on some parts for some of the products we made at a company I worked at and found the properties were very poor compared to cured elastomers. It would not be my choice for a material to make sliding seals that have to hold compression as it's recovery isn't all that great and it does swell huge if it sees any oils. I think it was over 50% when it saw Superlube lubricant which is a special oil loaded with teflon.

I think we are getting close to the root cause of some of the valve issues.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:31 AM   #62
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
IIRC, Santoprene is a thermoplastic elastomer, not a cured (thermoset) one, so it is kind of like a flexible plastic and is much cheaper and easier to mold. We tried using it on some parts for some of the products we made at a company I worked at and found the properties were very poor compared to cured elastomers. It would not be my choice for a material to make sliding seals that have to hold compression as it's recovery isn't all that great and it does swell huge if it sees any oils. I think it was over 50% when it saw Superlube lubricant which is a special oil loaded with teflon.

I think we are getting close to the root cause of some of the valve issues.
So this set of stainless steel blade, rod and NBR seals could be very good.
Attached Images
File Type: png assa.png (13.8 KB, 1 views)
GeorgeRa is online now   Reply With Quote