Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2022, 05:54 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Water fill hose cement

I experienced a leak in my unpressurized fresh water tank fill hose during my last trip. I have a spare segment of the hose (I replaced it about 2 years ago!) that's long enough to make the repair. I also found a Lasco barb that will fit perfectly and some hose clamps.

It looks as though the original connects to a 90º barb that takes it up to the fill port. That's connected with a hose clamp. But they also seem to have used some type of rubbery adhesive (it's soft) to prevent leaking (along with the hose clamp).

Any recommendations as to what I might use?

thanks.glenn

[clarification: I'm going to connect one end of my "repair hose" to an area before the leak via the barb and the other end to that 90º barb. I'm not replacing the rest that goes to the tank unless this doesn't work. But it should.]
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 10:55 AM   #2
Platinum Member

If it is like our Roadtrek, the probably used clear silicone caulking on it. The hose normally has a spiral wire reinforcement in it that makes a screw like shape to inside surface of the hole and that can be a leak path for the water that clamps don't seal very well over time. Filling the gap takes care of it pretty well, but makes the hose very hard to get off sometimes.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 04:09 PM   #3
Platinum Member

My hose is spiral also. But it has flat areas every foot or so. I’m hoping I can work it so that I’m clamping on those. Thanks for the silicone rec.
Old 10-19-2022, 05:28 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Hi Glenn,

A facebook group has a number of posts on replacing-
I have to do this on my Lexor which has a different lay out.
( my fill neck is in line with a hole in the floor, have yet to figure out access to lower hose clamp)

as a temp fix I inserted a 3' 5/8" ID food grade tube through the damaged fill.
now that the weather is nice, i am about to take on a permanent fix

one of the posts has the new fill hose run though a motorcycle inner tube to help protect it ( i dunno)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1320...ques%20Lampron
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 07:11 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Not sure if you have a similar problem but this guy used PEX tubing to fix his Roadtreks poor design.

jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 09:36 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Default Update

Repair worked as expected. No more leak when filling. Between the barbed coupler, the silicone sealant, the hose clamps and the fact that the water isn't under any real pressure.....I figured it should work and it did. I also used some Gorilla vinyl repair tape around the hose whereever it looked like it might rub. The original leak occurred in an area where there was a bunch of other stuff in the cavity. But it also could be rot and the rest will go sometime in the near future. we'll see
Old 11-09-2022, 12:49 AM   #7
Platinum Member

On my Lexor the hole cut through the floor for the fill neck wasn't centered.

Over time the fill hose pushed against the side of teh cut wore through. I recut the hole and put on a new hose, PW uses silicone to seal between hose and fittings.

I slit the old worn hose aloong it's length and slid it over the new to protect from further rub through, gooping silicone between to help secure it.

The tank fitting had to be done from under the van, raised 4".

while I was under I engraved the plate # into the catalytic converters and painted yellow with VHT
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote