Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2020, 09:59 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Water filters

In another discussion, it came up about water safety and filtration. It pointed out that the 3M/Cuno/Aquapure US-B1 filter cannister is pretty much not available as such any more. There is a substitute from Aquapure that is much longer and won't fit many of our install, I think, as it won't fit ours. That filter was very popular in the marine world also, so bummer they bailed on them, even with the ridiculous cost of replacement cartridges. We have used it for our van for about 10 years and do drink the tank water without issue or foul taste.

I finally got an answer from Pentair/Everpure about if they had anything that would work for filter quality and total height. As it turns out, they have a filter that would work, I think, as it has similar ratings and is only about 3/4 inch longer than the Cuno. They don't show up in any of the searches for RV or marine filters as they are in the commercial side of the business for ice machines, vending machines, drinking fountains, etc. They have the non NSF .2 micron rating at independent lab (I think 3M is doing this also) which gets a .5 micron NSF for them, as does the new 3M unit. Lab testing at 99.99% on crypto removal which is also the same. They are much less expensive as they are in a competitive market and 50% off retail is common.

Part numbers are as follows. I am not posting links as I don't know the quality of any of the vendors I found at this point. These are Everpure part numbers and search well that way on Google.

Filter cartridge is EV9691-56 and costs about $42 good for 6K gallons

Mounting housing is QL2 (horizontal ports) and about $25 QL3B for up facing ports

Bypass plug is EV310876 and about $8

Free shipping appears to be the norm most places.

We still have two of the old 3M style cartridges so are good for a while, but I will probably be ordering the above 3 items in the near future so I can check to see for sure they all will fit where I need to put it in our rear bolster by the pump.

As a side note, I found out that it appears these type of cartridge filters don't need to vertically mounted, at least not the 3M (have not found confirmation on the Everpure yet) so that can give more flexibility in mounting in tight spacers. You would have to catch water when changing the cartridge, though.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 01:19 AM   #2
Platinum Member

That's good info. I like the pricing.

I use this 3M Aquapure NSF 42, 53, 0.2 micron filter at home but it is taller and a bit expensive for RV use when replacing the filter annually: http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/7...data-sheet.pdf
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 01:48 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
That's good info. I like the pricing.

I use this 3M Aquapure NSF 42, 53, 0.2 micron filter at home but it is taller and a bit expensive for RV use when replacing the filter annually: http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/7...data-sheet.pdf

If I recall correctly from one of the spec sheets I saw on the Everypure, it was also NSF 42 and 53, with what I listed above about .2 and .5 micron rating. Is your Aquapure .2 NSF, or is that one of the "internal testing laboratory" specs that 3M seemed to list a lot in the various specs for products. I think the whole industry is getting real squishy on actually getting the gold standard test approval and doing "complies to" routine. Seems a bunch of industries are doing that kind of stuff now. The old Cuno B1 cartridge was actually NSF rated .2 micron IIRC.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:47 AM   #4
Platinum Member

I went down the water filter rabbit hole last year

I don't think you can confirm micron rating with NSF. I did spend a fair bit of time searching through the listings on their site and exchanged emails with NSF about one particular 3M 0.5 micron product that met NSF 401 according to their site but no claims of meeting NSF 401 in any 3M literature or website. They said they'd pass the info on to an account manager and suggested I bring it to 3M’s attention ....... I thought that would be their job.

My understanding of the 0.2 micron rating of the 3MFF101 cartridge is that it is nominal and not absolute. That mean particles/items larger than 0.2 micron can slip though depending on particle/item shape. Something .03 micron long x .01 micron wide might get through.

In the end, I decided to go with 0.2 micron nominal over 0.5 micron thinking that it's likely just a bit better.

Here's link to the Everpure 2FC EV9691-56 cartridge data sheet: https://www.pentair.com/content/dam/...Spec-Sheet.pdf

Also page 8 here: https://www.pentair.com/content/dam/...%20Catalog.pdf

Note: no lead reduction claimed.

Here's the link to NSF drinking water search index: Listing Category Search Page | NSF International
Old 03-27-2020, 12:12 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
I went down the water filter rabbit hole last year

I don't think you can confirm micron rating with NSF. I did spend a fair bit of time searching through the listings on their site and exchanged emails with NSF about one particular 3M 0.5 micron product that met NSF 401 according to their site but no claims of meeting NSF 401 in any 3M literature or website. They said they'd pass the info on to an account manager and suggested I bring it to 3M’s attention ....... I thought that would be their job.

My understanding of the 0.2 micron rating of the 3MFF101 cartridge is that it is nominal and not absolute. That mean particles/items larger than 0.2 micron can slip though depending on particle/item shape. Something .03 micron long x .01 micron wide might get through.

In the end, I decided to go with 0.2 micron nominal over 0.5 micron thinking that it's likely just a bit better.

Here's link to the Everpure 2FC EV9691-56 cartridge data sheet: https://www.pentair.com/content/dam/...Spec-Sheet.pdf

Also page 8 here: https://www.pentair.com/content/dam/...%20Catalog.pdf

Note: no lead reduction claimed.

Here's the link to NSF drinking water search index: Listing Category Search Page | NSF International

I had found those same documents, after a bunch of looking as they don't make it particularly easy if you don't know the actual part numbers for sure.

The no lead is a bummer and to get a Everpure that takes out lead to just below recommended make you have to get one with scale removal and give up their "bacterostatic" control. You also are two inches longer and go to .5gpm from 1.5gpm so not going to work for our spot unfortunately, and we do the whole van water system, not just the sink so .5 gpm is too low for us.

Here is what the contact at Everypure sent to me about the filter micron rating and cyst removal

Quote:
EV969156 2FC filter with the EV925924 QL3B Head will provide up to 1.5 GPM flow rate, 6,000 gallon filter capacity, 0.2 microns tested by Pentair and 0.5 micron tested by NSF also these set up should need Space required: 5 x 5 x 14 in. (13 x 13 x 35.56 cm) including 2½ inches of clear space under unit for cartridge change. Bypass Plug part number is the EV310876.
Spec. sheet attached.

2FC filter is Validated by ISO 17025 accredited lab for 99.999% reduction of Pseudomonas diminuta following the ASTM F838-05 protocol for the validation of 0.2 μm sterilizing grade filters.
I had read somewhere else, which I think was a forum type post so didn't mention it, as unconfirmed in my mind, that the difference in the .2 to .5 is something like the difference between 99.9% and 99.99% or the .2 micron trapping to get NSF which gets very restrictive and expensive I would assume. I wasn't able to find an actual confirmation of any of that though in a quick search.

As you said, rabbit hole, and lots of them all over the place in trying to get any real and comparable data on any of this stuff. Even if looking at the specs for NSF it is weird because they talk about meeting the spec for "some" of the contaminants.

Some of the new 3M cartridges seem to be less expensive than the older version where, compared to the market, but with suggested prices and actual being so far apart on everything, it is had to tell. They have moved away from the .2 micron rating on an awful lot of their products, though, like the small filter cartridges of similar size to our old US-B1.

I do worry a bit about the Everpure ratings also due to the very high gallons of life they tout in such a small cartridge, plus the higher flow compared to other brands. Getting 1.5gpm and 6K gallons life is definitely different than you normally see.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:32 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Fast & thorough reply from NSF today.

One of the available claims under NSF 42 is is nominal particulate reduction. Class 1 filters the smallest particles. The micron range to qualify for Class 1 is 0.5 to 1 microns. Class 2 is 1 to 5 microns.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:40 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Fast & thorough reply from NSF today.

One of the available claims under NSF 42 is is nominal particulate reduction. Class 1 filters the smallest particles. The micron range to qualify for Class 1 is 0.5 to 1 microns. Class 2 is 1 to 5 microns.

Did they happen to define what "nominal" is in the filter business? I have never really seen an explanation that I can remember.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:03 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I didn't ask.

I found these explanations:

https://products.geappliances.com/ap...ontentId=23035

and
https://blog.boshart.com/water_filte...mircon_ratings
Old 04-02-2020, 04:20 PM   #9
Silver Member

I used to have an Everpure in old PW. Hassle to change filter or remove for winter and always getting leaks. Now, with my 2008 PW I use a Pur faucet filter which I think is only for taste. We've been van camping in remote places since 1987, never stay in an RV parks, and so far have never had a problem with 'bad' water. Am I rolling dice?
Note: if the van has been sitting too long I will flush fresh water tank with bleach.
Asphalt Addict is offline   Reply With Quote