Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2018, 11:33 AM   #1

Default Water heater/furnace problems

Hello I hope someone can help me here, I have a 2002 great west van, Dodge Ram 3500, I have had trouble with my furnace, which now just blows cold air, I just forgot about it after not really needing it, but last night I turned my water heater on for the first time, waited 30 mins, turned my tap on, and it’s just cold water, my question is, is the furnace and water heater connected together? And why are they not giving heat? When I turn furnace on, all works fine, but blows cold air. Is this a fuse, or maybe converter? How can I tell?
Thanks in advance, ive checked my fuses, all seem to be ok
Guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 12:01 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Do the frig and stove work on propane and function OK.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 12:52 PM   #3

Yes I can take some photos, what shall I photograph exactly?
Old 09-08-2018, 12:55 PM   #4

I’ve never used either of them, fridge I had working plugged into house, stove I’ve never used, it’s lpg.
Old 09-08-2018, 12:56 PM   #5

Just seems odd tht both are not working, I just thought they might be connected
Old 09-08-2018, 01:57 PM   #6

Make and model of the furnace? Heater?
Old 09-08-2018, 01:59 PM   #7

It’s nothing to do with propane, my furnace just normally works off thermostat , no propane, I just turn it on, but as I say, it’s blowing cold air
Old 09-08-2018, 06:15 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Are you saying that there's NO propane in your van. It appears only recent that mfgs are getting away from using propane completely. I don't know your van, though. On my 1997 PleasureWay (not too much older than yours) the heater is LP but the blower is, of course, electric. The only thing that I turn on for mine is the wall thermostat also. What happens is that the blower starts and the air it's putting out pushes open a "fan" switch which opens the gas valve and triggers an electronic module which lights the gas. If neither the fan switch or the module is faulty, you won't get a light/heat....only unheated air from the blower.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 06:16 PM   #9
Platinum Member

That should have read "If either...."
Old 09-08-2018, 08:39 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
Are you saying that there's NO propane in your van. It appears only recent that mfgs are getting away from using propane completely. I don't know your van, though. On my 1997 PleasureWay (not too much older than yours) the heater is LP but the blower is, of course, electric. The only thing that I turn on for mine is the wall thermostat also. What happens is that the blower starts and the air it's putting out pushes open a "fan" switch which opens the gas valve and triggers an electronic module which lights the gas. If neither the fan switch or the module is faulty, you won't get a light/heat....only unheated air from the blower.
On my RV, I also have to switch on the propane valve, or the furnace never gets gas to ignite. The furnace will continue to blow cold air and the ignitor keeps trying to light the gas that's not being delivered unless the propane valve is switched on.

What brand/model of heater? What brand/model of water heater?
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:53 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarman View Post
It’s nothing to do with propane, my furnace just normally works off thermostat , no propane, I just turn it on, but as I say, it’s blowing cold air

I don't understand this. A 2002 Great West that has a furnace that doesn't use propane? What fuel is it using, as it is really unlikely that there would be enough electricity to do it. Gasoline or diesel heater? There has to be fuel for the furnace to burn for heat.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:11 PM   #12
Platinum Member

rvsprinterguy: Oops! Yes the main valve has to be on as well and since Guitarman said the only appliance that he has working is the fridge on 120v, that could be a possible....and easily solved....remedy.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:37 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
rvsprinterguy: Oops! Yes the main valve has to be on as well and since Guitarman said the only appliance that he has working is the fridge on 120v, that could be a possible....and easily solved....remedy.

Or the propane tank is empty.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:07 AM   #14

No, definitely my furnace works without gas, and the water heater as well, ive never used gas since I bought my van 2 years ago... so why is it blowing cold air,? It was blowing hot, and my water is cold
Old 09-09-2018, 10:49 AM   #15
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
No, definitely my furnace works without gas, and the water heater as well, ive never used gas since I bought my van 2 years ago... so why is it blowing cold air,? It was blowing hot, and my water is cold
Are you plugged in?
Old 09-09-2018, 11:30 AM   #16

No, not plugged in, but I remember when I was plugged in, still no hot air, yet when I bought the van it gave hot air without electric
Old 09-09-2018, 11:35 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes I can take some photos, what shall I photograph exactly?
Take a photo of the gauge on the LPG tank. It is possible that you'd have two LPG tanks if the van engine has been converted to run on LPG.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 12:36 PM   #18
Platinum Member

The guess has to be that the propane tank was on and full when the van was purchased two years ago. Not using the stove and running the frig on Ac so only occasional heat and water heating could let the tank last two years, but it is now empty.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:51 PM   #19

Ohhhh now I think I get it, maybe I bought the van with gas in? And now it’s used, it needs refilling? Now I think I understand, my van uses lpg, but I see there is an inlet for putting gas in it. Shall I try it? Would this also serve to hear the water?
Old 09-09-2018, 01:17 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Yes it would also be used by the water heater.