Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2020, 02:34 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Water in Fuel Filter Warning Light

I recently changed my diesel fuel filter on my Roadtrek Sprinter. Since then I have gotten the water in fuel filter warning light a few times. I have had the RV 2 years and never got this light before.

I follow the process to purge the water - Locate the purge hose on top of the filter assembly; Direct the hose into a container; Open the purge valve; Briefly turn on the ignition to turn the engine over. Close Purge Valve & restore purge hose.

After this process the light clears, but comes back a day or so later. Tank is 3/4 full and this has occured between trips. I do not want to be dealing with this on the road.

Has anyone experienced similar issues?
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:27 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by engnrsrule View Post
I recently changed my diesel fuel filter on my Roadtrek Sprinter. Since then I have gotten the water in fuel filter warning light a few times. I have had the RV 2 years and never got this light before.

I follow the process to purge the water - Locate the purge hose on top of the filter assembly; Direct the hose into a container; Open the purge valve; Briefly turn on the ignition to turn the engine over. Close Purge Valve & restore purge hose.

After this process the light clears, but comes back a day or so later. Tank is 3/4 full and this has occured between trips. I do not want to be dealing with this on the road.

Has anyone experienced similar issues?
Sounds like you have water in your fuel tank and the filter is doing its job. Probably you got a bad batch of fuel somewhere.

I have no experience with this, but I gather from postings over at Sprinter-Source that this is not a Good Thing and can lead to very expensive repairs if ignored. I suggest you (a) go over there and do a search. IIRC, there is a Sticky thread on this topic; and/or (b) take a trip to your dealer or someone else qualified to drain and purge your fuel tank.

Again: my understanding is that this is not a trivial matter. The high-pressure fuel injection system is both fussy and expensive. That fancy filter system is there for a reason.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 12:07 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Default Solution to water in Fuel

Update to the problem... after several recurrences of doing the strip process for water in the fuel filter, I asked my diesel mechanic and he recommended Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement & Cetane Boost. It is carried at Autozone.
Recently took a 900 mile trip and problem has not recurred.

I will add that I usually get fuel at Shell, but the last trip before this problem showed up I had used a Pilot Station.
Old 11-23-2020, 02:40 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Update...not sure what is going on with this, but I note that the water in fuel filter light comes on at every start up. I have gone thru the purge process and it goes away, but in examining the purged fuel there is no trace of water. I also found that if I turn the key to start, then off, then back on to start the light goes out. Ideas welcome...
Old 11-24-2020, 03:17 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Update...not sure what is going on with this, but I note that the water in fuel filter light comes on at every start up. I have gone thru the purge process and it goes away, but in examining the purged fuel there is no trace of water. I also found that if I turn the key to start, then off, then back on to start the light goes out. Ideas welcome...
I'd just change the filter again. Did you use an original quality filter when you changed it before the problem started?
Old 11-24-2020, 12:14 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Thanks Boxster, I will give that a try. This is what I used...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I8J1KZY...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Old 11-25-2020, 03:03 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks Boxster, I will give that a try. This is what I used...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I8J1KZY...ing=UTF8&psc=1
That is a cheap Chinese made fuel filter. Ecogard is a brand subsidiary of IPC Global Solutions that manufacturers most, if not all, their parts in China.

https://ipcglobalsolutions.com/about-ipc/our-company/

Mercedes vehicles just don't do well with lower quality parts. The Sprinter-Forum is full of stories about poor quality filters. Get and OEM filter from a dealer or try some of the online parts seller that sell OEM filters. I pay $120 for a OEM fuel filter from a Freightliner dealer for my 2012 Sprinter. But fuel filters for your Sprinter are cheaper.

You can likely get a fuel filter for your older Sprinter for $50-60 from NAPA. Apparently they sell the same OEM filter used by Mercedes at a much lower cost.

I assume your Sprinter is branded as a Dodge, or is it Freightliner? You might even be able to get a reasonably cost filter from a Dodge or Freightliner dealer.

Good luck.

- - Mike