Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2022, 12:29 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Water leak

Hey

We are experiencing a water leak from above the windshield on our 2012 RT 190 during a heavy rain.
Water on the dash above the cluster and at the map lights on the headliner.
A while back I noticed some gaps in the sealant around the windshield and filled them in with a 3M product. That did not fix it.
My driveway is sloped so the van is not level when parked. I try to reverse its direction once a week so it doesn’t stay pointed in one of direction too long for what that’s worth. We first noticed the water leak while driving through heavy rain, so not just when parked at an angle.
The van records indicate installation of the add-on clearance lights to the roof at some point after the original sale.
I am also wondering about the triple RT skylights but not finding much info on how to check and reseal them.

Thank you
MagicBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 12:42 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Lots of RT owners (including me) have had a leak through the three windows above the windshield. Added lights also represent a real possibility. In any event, many swear by this stuff and it seems to be very effective:

https://www.amazon.com/Captain-Tolle...s%2C103&sr=8-1
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 12:44 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicBox View Post
Hey

We are experiencing a water leak from above the windshield on our 2012 RT 190 during a heavy rain.
Water on the dash above the cluster and at the map lights on the headliner.
A while back I noticed some gaps in the sealant around the windshield and filled them in with a 3M product. That did not fix it.
My driveway is sloped so the van is not level when parked. I try to reverse its direction once a week so it doesn’t stay pointed in one of direction too long for what that’s worth. We first noticed the water leak while driving through heavy rain, so not just when parked at an angle.
The van records indicate installation of the add-on clearance lights to the roof at some point after the original sale.
I am also wondering about the triple RT skylights but not finding much info on how to check and reseal them.

Thank you

Water leaks can be extremely hard to find as they can come from almost anywhere above where the water collect. Upper 3 windows, windshield, added roof to body seam above the doors would be prime suspects.

It might pay to just take it to a body shop that can do a "smoke test" where they pressurize the van with cloudy air and watch to see where it comes out. A 190 will probably have several places that won't the leak also, though, so expect that. Rear side window on the driver side almost never close tight, at least on the earlier 190s.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 06:10 PM   #4

Default Windshield Leak on Class-B

We have a Roadtrek 190 and experienced the same problem. Had it to numerous shops, including one where they did the pressure test. Didn't change a thing. Still leaked like a sieve! Then I heard from a gentleman from the factory where the Roadtrek is made in Canada.
He told me the problem was actually water leaking in from the roof area; between the metal body and the fiberglass topper. Leaking down the sides inside, towards the front of the unit. A simple spray sealant was the savior. Sprayed from the back of the unit, under and around the roof heat and air unit towards the front of the vehicle. No more leaks!
Mike from Oklahoma
smruff@cox.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 05:29 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Default Skylight?

I do suspect that the water leak is coming from the three skylight windows.

Not finding much information on resealing the last gen 190 windows.
I would consider Tolleys but how would I do the bottom edge as the product is very runny?

Thank you
Old 03-02-2022, 07:22 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Take a water sprinkling can and soak one area at a time. Start low and work your way up. Don't start high and work your way lower.

I have a small leak, top left of the windshield during heavy rains. Previous owner had replaced the windshield. So the windshield wasn't installed correctly...wrong. I had the windshield removed, no evidence of a leak and reinstalled. Still have the leak. Wish I had followed my advi$e above.
Want a B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 03:45 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Default Phase 3

Hi

Wanted to update this post.

The water leak I have been seeing was a couple drops on top of the steering column and dash over the cluster.

My first repair attempt months ago was sealing some small obvious gaps around the top of the windshield seal.

Then a few weeks ago I applied some sealant around the outside of the three skylight windows.
I couldn’t find any clear information on how to remove the windows to properly seal them.

Today I resealed the front clearance lights above the windshield. The lenses had a straightforward pry-off design and came off without breaking. I attempted to remove the base of the lights after removing the two screws but they seemed pretty stuck on there so I didn’t want to force them.
I applied Tolleys creeping crack sealer to the main wiring holes in the roof. One of the holes retained the sealant, the other two holes quickly absorbed it after several attempts indicating a bigger hole.I then switched to thicker flowing sealant and it stayed on the surface. The base screws also got a little sealant, again with the base in place.
I did read about Proflex and 3M 4000 UV but I couldn’t find any locally so I used what I had.
This was a pretty straightforward job with the easy-to-service brand of clearance lights that I had.

I would recommend people wear a helmet when they’re up there and have someone hold the ladder.

After all this my wife says she wants to stay in some fancy hotels on our next trip, leaving the van at home.
At least these projects keep me out of trouble, so there’s that.