Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2022, 10:57 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Water Pump

I'm looking to replace my water pump. Currently have a ShurFlo 2088-403-144 and it has started vibrating (shaking!) more than usual. Seems excessive and much noiser than before. 25 year old pump. I'd like something equivalent or quieter (if possible).

Can you give me some recommendations?

thx.glenn
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 11:20 PM   #2
Platinum Member

A quick Google search shows that pump is still available for about $100. I would think that would be the easiest solution since you know it'll fit. They sell rebuild kits for the head or entire head assemblies, but at 25 years old I think you've gotten your money's worth out of the original.
Punkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 11:35 PM   #3
Site Team

As for quiet:
Adding a pressure accumulator into the system will very likely dramatically improve the noise situation.

https://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-182-2.../dp/B000N9VF6Q
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 12:37 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
As for quiet:
Adding a pressure accumulator into the system will very likely dramatically improve the noise situation.
I actually have one of those on my shelf in the garage. I don't think that there is room in where the pump is but maybe under the bed where the tire well is on my oldiie. That's where the line goes to the water heater (also under the bed). But I'm wondering for those of you who have one:

There is a tire valve on the top of it and you're supposed to pressurize it via that valve to match the system. It comes pre-presurized to 10psi (mine registers zero). Do you presurize it to the system pressure (the pump pressure?)? Do you regularly check it? I'd hate to pull up the bed before each trip to check it.
Old 02-03-2022, 01:07 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
I actually have one of those on my shelf in the garage. I don't think that there is room in where the pump is but maybe under the bed where the tire well is on my oldiie. That's where the line goes to the water heater (also under the bed). But I'm wondering for those of you who have one:

There is a tire valve on the top of it and you're supposed to pressurize it via that valve to match the system. It comes pre-presurized to 10psi (mine registers zero). Do you presurize it to the system pressure (the pump pressure?)? Do you regularly check it? I'd hate to pull up the bed before each trip to check it.
I don't think the pressure is very critical. I used it as it came and have ignored it ever since. Still seems to be working fine after seven years. I did check for the existence of pressure once. Seemed fine.

BTW: Note that (a) you can put it ANYWHERE downstream of the pump; and (2) even though it has two ports, the water does not have to pass through the device. You can cap off one end and tee in the other end wherever convenient. This adds a lot to the flexibility of locating it.

Those things are great.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 01:17 AM   #6
Platinum Member

When my pump started making more noise than usual, I found the flexible hose had leaned over on the rear lounge frame. When I padded it from direct contact, what a big improvement.

I'd second replacing with the same unit for ease of installation and assurance it will mount in the same area. Add the accumulator later if still not satisfied.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 04:03 AM   #7
Platinum Member

IIRC, the desired tank pressure is just a few lbs below the pump engagement pressure.

I mounted ours behind the toilet in our 2000 200V. It worked well there. I used it in flow through mode tied in to the toilet supply line.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 11:15 AM   #8
Platinum Member

I am surprised we haven't seen any mention of the variable speed pumps yet. They are very quiet by comparison to the single speed on/off pumps.

We have had a Flojet version for many years and rarely even hear it. A little more money and a tad bigger but usually not a big deal to fit in and hook up, especially when trying to find a place for a tank and the work to plumb it in.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 12:18 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Certainly not cheap but a friend has this on his Pleasure Way XLTS and it is very quiet with no surging at any flow rate.
https://www.irvwpc.com
Previously: 1999 36' Foretravel, 1998 Newell, 1993 Newell
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 02:49 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
Certainly not cheap but a friend has this on his Pleasure Way XLTS and it is very quiet with no surging at any flow rate.
https://www.irvwpc.com

Wow, that looks to be more expensive than a new variable speed pump. Of course that is $C so would not be quite as bad as it looks.
Old 02-03-2022, 03:18 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
We have had a Flojet version for many years and rarely even hear it. A little more money and a tad bigger but usually not a big deal to fit in and hook up, especially when trying to find a place for a tank and the work to plumb it in.
Do you recall the model?

thx.glenn
Old 02-03-2022, 05:08 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Do you recall the model?

thx.glenn

The model we have has been discontinued. The replacement for it is this one on Amazon. Don't know if that is best price available.

https://www.amazon.com/Flojet-R44261.../dp/B015521OTS

I think Shur-flo also have a variable speed one now also.

Don't get fooled by others that say variable output as they may not be variable speed. They would be bypass pumps and run full speed when running so nearly as noisy as standard pumps.

Here is the Shur-flo version.

https://www.adventurerv.net/shurflo-...mp-p-1733.html
Old 02-04-2022, 08:04 PM   #13
Platinum Member

I did some investigating on the ShurFlo 2088-403-144 and found that while you can find a few places that have them (there are many that either link to another model or ebay where most are "previously used") one review I read said that the person had called Shurflo and was told they hadn't made that model for ~7yrs. So essentially I'd be buying NOS. Not sure, considering the rubber diaphragm, if that's wise.

There are tons of pumps out there and I really don't have a clue what to do at this point with picking a new one.

Any further suggestions greatly appreciated including the model that's working fine in your RV now (thanks, booster!)

glenn
Old 02-04-2022, 09:42 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
I did some investigating on the ShurFlo 2088-403-144 and found that while you can find a few places that have them (there are many that either link to another model or ebay where most are "previously used") one review I read said that the person had called Shurflo and was told they hadn't made that model for ~7yrs. So essentially I'd be buying NOS. Not sure, considering the rubber diaphragm, if that's wise.

There are tons of pumps out there and I really don't have a clue what to do at this point with picking a new one.

Any further suggestions greatly appreciated including the model that's working fine in your RV now (thanks, booster!)

glenn
I have this pump for a while, its rubber mount with flexible hoses assures that it is very quiet.

https://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-4008-...8615779&sr=8-5
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 01:32 AM   #15
Platinum Member

thx.george
Old 02-05-2022, 01:44 AM   #16
Platinum Member

I used the pump recommended by George also. It worked quite well in combination with the small Shur Flo accumulator tank.

I also installed the same pump in our new to us Safari Trek along with a 2 gallon tank that provides about 3-4 quarts of draw down.
Old 02-05-2022, 01:50 AM   #17
Platinum Member

thx.Steve. Nice to have 2 recs. Are we all on this forum on a Friday night because of Covid.......or because we're old?
Old 02-05-2022, 04:53 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
thx.Steve. Nice to have 2 recs. Are we all on this forum on a Friday night because of Covid.......or because we're old?
Ummmm . . both.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 11:12 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
I was on it because we were overnighting at a wonderful MS welcome center for overnighting with RV pull offs on the way out. Also a dump station and some pull offs had water spigots. We are on our way back from a month out west including Bisbee and Quartzite.

Tonight we are in Perry, FL all fat and sassy after having fantastic Italian dinners at an Itilian restaurant that is hitting way above average for authenticity and wonderful taste. Mama's Italian in Perry FL. Simply wonderful. As a bonus we get to take good backroads toward the house instead of a bunch of I 10 and 75.
Old 02-07-2022, 06:18 PM   #20
Platinum Member

FloJet all the way.

A couple if RV Places here in LA for over 10 years refuse to install Shurflo anymore.

My model has been in there for the past 7 years & I replaced 2 Shurflo units in 3 years.

Maybe Shurflo had a bad year, bad manufacturer.

But as I mentioned, a couple of my top guys in LA refuse to install Shurflo in over a decade unless a fool like meanders in with another I purchased at a store but didn't trust the store location's service dept.

As I recall, in my years of double redundancy I purchased 2/Two Shurflo units at the same time, to replace the first one that came with the Coach.

My installers stated something like "A Full Timer in a Class B, 3 years tops is the lifetime of a Shurflo ..."

The only thing I have had to occasionally is get under the pump once every couple of years, contort my broken frame which doesn't contort anymore except as it meets hard surfaces, with a mini Phillip Screw Driver & tighten 3 little screws.

Model #03526144
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220207_110855_resized.jpg (287.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20220207_110840_resized.jpg (296.0 KB, 5 views)
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote