Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2019, 04:59 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Water pump replacement

I think the water pump in our 2019 Banff is going out (sounds like a jack hammer when it's running). It is a Sureflo 2088-403-144, 2.8 gpm, 40 psi. I couldn't find that model number as a replacement.

All the others that are offered are higher gpm and pressure. We don't need the higher flow or pressure. In fact, I'd like to find a pump that is quieter if possible.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Raindem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 05:23 PM   #2
Site Team

Don't be so sure that the "jack hammer" sound is due to the water pump. Often, this sound is due to pipe bang, which is the result of standing waves in the pipes. Can you tell whether the sound come from the pump itself or is more diffuse?

The fix to most noisy plumbing problems is an accumulator shuch as the Shuffle 182-200:

https://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-182-2...46988215&psc=1

Easy install and often makes a HUGE difference.

avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:24 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Thanks for the reply.

It usually seems to come from the pump itself, but occasionally I hear it more at the galley sink.

Will I ruin the pump if I hook it up to a battery and run it for a few seconds dry?
Old 11-15-2019, 07:42 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raindem View Post
Will I ruin the pump if I hook it up to a battery and run it for a few seconds dry?
No, it won't.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:54 PM   #5
Bronze Member

With the pump removed from the water system, it has what I would call a "sharp pulse" to the spin of the motor. Not very smooth, but nothing like the jack hammer sound when it was connected.

Does that mean the pump is OK? Does the accumulator in your link replace the pump?
Old 11-16-2019, 12:59 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
With the pump removed from the water system, it has what I would call a "sharp pulse" to the spin of the motor. Not very smooth, but nothing like the jack hammer sound when it was connected.

Does that mean the pump is OK? Does the accumulator in your link replace the pump?
If you care about quiet, an accumulator is the way to go. Can't guarantee it will fix your problem (although my guess is that it will--I bet your pump is fine), but even if it doesn't, you will be glad you got one. Makes a world of difference, noise wise.

No, it does not replace the pump--it is an add-on. It is simply a shock-absorber. There is probably a big one in your house down by your water heater (for the same reason).

You need to plumb it in your water system downstream of the pump. You typically just run the cold water through the accumulator, but it works just as well by capping off one side of the accumulator and connecting the other side to the cold water loop via a tee fitting. Sometimes that is more convenient. Either way is fine.

One thing: This part comes in two variants, identical except for havin different kinds of fittings. One will be much easier to install than the other, depending on your plumbing.
Old 11-16-2019, 03:01 AM   #7
Bronze Member

Thanks again for your help. I'll look into that accumulator (although there is not a lot of room down there for additional stuff).

Would it help to add some clamps to the water lines?
Old 11-16-2019, 03:10 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks again for your help. I'll look into that accumulator (although there is not a lot of room down there for additional stuff).

Would it help to add some clamps to the water lines?
Maybe. I'm guessing not much.

The accumulator doesn't need to be immediately after the pump. Just try to have it somewhere before the hot water splits off. There is usually someplace to squeeze it in. It can be mounted in any position.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:54 AM   #9
Platinum Member

I installed an accumulator on the supply line to the toilet. I only had to unscrew the hose from the toilet and hook it to the accumulator then install a new hose to the toilet. Plenty of room behind the toilet.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 05:13 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Have you checked the water pump strainer? It may be a long shot but it's easy to remove and clean. Even new rigs can end up with debris from the water line installation.
Lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 02:04 PM   #11
Bronze Member

On my van the water pressure pulses in the water lines caused some of them to bounce a bit and hit wood structure creating a loud rattle whenever the pump ran. Clamping the lines helped, but did not entirely eliminate the sound.
jaak1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 02:31 PM   #12
Platinum Member

On several Bs and Cs over the years, I have used this simple solution for pipes that bang against each other or a wall or the floor. All I can say is that it works and costs less than two bucks to try.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...5812/204760811
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:53 PM   #13
Bronze Member

All good ideas. Here's the plan...

First, I'll clean out the strainer and reinstall the pump. There was a little bit of crud in there, but not much.

Then, I'll refill the tank and see if I can better isolate the noise. If it's coming from the pipes then I'll try the insulation trick. I happen to have a couple of those laying around.

If that don't fix it I'll install an accumulator. But it's really crowded down there. The pump is less than a foot from the HWH so I'll probably have to run an extra few feet of line just to find someplace to put it.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:05 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
I'll probably have to run an extra few feet of line just to find someplace to put it.
Remember, you only need ONE pipe to the accumulator. That often makes things a lot easier.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:43 PM   #15
Bronze Member

It doesn't get installed in line? One in and one out?
Old 11-17-2019, 11:19 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
It doesn't get installed in line? One in and one out?
You can tap in to a cold water line with a T, just run the single line to the accumulator. No room by the toilet fill line, behind the toilet?
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 11:50 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
You can tap in to a cold water line with a T, just run the single line to the accumulator.
That is correct. There is no flow through the accumulator proper--it is just absorbing differences in pressure. You CAN go in one side and out the other, but it is not necessary. Just cap off one of the ports and plumb the other one to the T as Steve says.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:15 AM   #18
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
That is correct. There is no flow through the accumulator proper--it is just absorbing differences in pressure. You CAN go in one side and out the other, but it is not necessary. Just cap off one of the ports and plumb the other one to the T as Steve says.
avanti, wondering if a pump makes No noise, how does know if there is a leak? Like one drop every whatever number of seconds/minutes behind some wall? Is that a downside?

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 12:29 AM   #19
Bronze Member

Well, I guess I'm not really understanding how an accumulator works but I'll take your word that just one line has to go to it. I hope it comes with a cap for the other side.

In a Banff, the toilet is at the very rear and the water pump is more towards the front. I'm not sure how much good it would do back there. The jack hammer sound appears to be coming from the galley sink which is on the other side of the pump, just behind the driver seat.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:53 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
avanti, wondering if a pump makes No noise, how does know if there is a leak? Like one drop every whatever number of seconds/minutes behind some wall? Is that a downside?

Bud
Well, the accumulator is great, but not miraculous. You will still hear the pump run, but it is more of a soft hum.

Quote:
Well, I guess I'm not really understanding how an accumulator works but I'll take your word that just one line has to go to it. I hope it comes with a cap for the other side.

In a Banff, the toilet is at the very rear and the water pump is more towards the front. I'm not sure how much good it would do back there. The jack hammer sound appears to be coming from the galley sink which is on the other side of the pump, just behind the driver seat.
Accumulators are pretty simple. They are a small tank with a rubber membane in the middle of them. One side of the membrane is full of water connected to the system. The other half is filled with compressed air. The air side has a valve like the one on your tires. You can use this to adjust the pressure to match your system. However, it comes pre-charged and the default worked fine for me. The whole thing acts as a shock absorber--absorbing the pressure spikes that tend to form the standing waves. It will do this fine with only one connection--internal to the accumulator there is only one connection anyway. The two inlets are just for convenience.

It will probably help no matter where it is connected in the system, since the pressure waves pervade all the paths. It may work better nearer the pump--not sure.

I don't think it does come with a cap. That would be a Home Depot item. But, remember what I said about there being two versions with different fittings. Plan ahead.