Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2021, 03:26 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Water Pump, upgrade replacment for ShurFlo 4008?

We have a SurFlo 4008 (3.0gpm, 45psi). I'm ok with the flow rate and pressure... a bit higher wouldn't be bad, but the damn thing is noisy as heck.

We've also got a slow internal leak in the system somewhere. It's either in the pump or in the Fill/City-Water valve. When we connect to city water for normal use the fresh water tank starts refilling very slowly until it overflows.

So, as long as I'm gutting the plumbing system, I may as well replace the pump with a decent one.

I don't need it to be huge, but I'd like something quieter... and based on what I've seen elsewhere, Winnebago generally installed really crappy hardware in their rigs, so it's likely a junk pump anyway.

Any advice? what's a good brand/model to look at for a replacement?

Many thanks!
-Winnie ERA 170M ("906" 3500 Sprinter, 6cyl Diesel)
BigFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 03:42 AM   #2
Site Team

Adding a pressure accumulator would very likely make your system much quieter.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 12:37 PM   #3
Platinum Member

The above mentioned accumulator is a good start. Also, installing a "noise reduction kit", which is basically a flexible hose, on the output side of the pump can help quite a bit.

Have you checked the mounts? They could be loose and/or need more isolation. Is the pump housing touching something solid?

Also, with the pump on, open the pressure water fill valve for a few seconds to recirculate the water there. We have had small air pockets form after filling with the pressurized water hook up, quite noisy and the pump pressure switch would stutter/chatter when trying to shut off.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 02:35 PM   #4
Platinum Member

The other option is to go to one of the variable speed pumps which are very much quieter unless you are using their full output which is near impossible in a B. Might be a good consideration as your pump is internally leaking and needs to be rebuilt or replaced anyway.

No need for an accumulator with the variable speed pumps. Fiex lines to quiet the vibrations are always a good idea.

We have had a Flojet variable pump for many years and would never go back to a single speed one, which even with a accumulator is load when running but it runs much less often.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 03:56 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
We have had a Flojet variable pump for many years.

do you have a model number ?

i am happy with our pump, but Spouse complains about noise concerned it would bother campers ( unlikely)

In my Pleasure Way, the pump is easily accessed, a swap would take little time assuming similar size and connections

thanks. Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 04:43 PM   #6
Site Team

Well, an accumulator is a LOT cheaper than a fancy pump.

I can only speak from a single example, but adding an accumulator to our rig made the difference between ridiculously loud to hard to even hear. Most of the noise comes from "pipe bang" and other resonance conditions in the plumbing. An accumulator solves this.
Old 08-10-2021, 04:51 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Well, an accumulator is a LOT cheaper than a fancy pump.

I can only speak from a single example, but adding an accumulator to our rig made the difference between ridiculously loud to hard to even hear. Most of the noise comes from "pipe bang" and other resonance conditions in the plumbing. An accumulator solves this.

Probably, but it sounds like he needs a pump anyway so that reduces that part and he wouldn't need to find a place for the accumulator. I know in our Roadtrek there is no room for it anywhere near the pump.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 05:03 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I know in our Roadtrek there is no room for it anywhere near the pump.
Note that an accumulator (a) can be anywhere downstream of the pump; and (b) only needs a single tee connection. I.e., although most of them have an "in" and an "out", it is perfectly OK to cap off one of them. There is no need for water to actually flow through it. (For those of you who enjoy water/electricity analogies, it acts like a capacitor, not a resistor.)
Old 08-10-2021, 05:08 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Note that an accumulator (a) can be anywhere downstream of the pump; and (b) only needs a single tee connection. I.e., although most of them have an "in" and an "out", it is perfectly OK to cap off one of them. There is no need for water to actually flow through it. (For those of you who enjoy water/electricity analogies, it acts like a capacitor, not a resistor.)
On our Roadtrek we mounted a small accumulator tank behind the toilet. We just tied into the water supply for the flush by adding a flex hose.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 05:20 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Pump location, mounting, and hoses practically can eliminated noise. My pump is located in the lower portion of the passenger side B-pillar, pillar cavity is packed with Thinsulate, and water hoses are flexible. Two bolts hold the pump assembly in place, very easy access. I started with 1 gal/min but quickly switch to Shurflo 4008 series, four chambers, $72, 3 gal/min pump.

https://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-4008-...8615779&sr=8-5
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZZGR0186.jpg (619.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 3-ZZGR0188.jpg (593.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg ZZGR0189.jpg (632.9 KB, 17 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 02:19 AM   #11
Platinum Member

I'll look into Flojet, thanks!

I do have room for an accumulator, but the water pump shares space with 120V and 12v electrical hardware, so I'd like to avoid joints in the line if at all possible.

I think, if it came down to it, I could put an accumulator near the water heater, there's a bit of room there to work with, but I don't want to mask a bad pump with more hardware, I'd like to simply get a better pump. On the other hand, if it turns out that the 4008 is actually a decent pump, overall, I may get a new one (or a rebuild) and put an accumulator into the system.
Old 08-15-2021, 04:46 PM   #12

Default consider a pump controller

Before tossing out your pump or adding a large tank consider an "IRVWPC" device. No larger than a pack of cigarettes (easy to find space for) and it quiets the pump and makes it much more efficient. Out of the factory, the pump controller is preset to 33 psi and it can be adjusted up to 44 psi. I've installed one in my pleasure way and some in friends units and the difference is amazing. Check out the before and after videos on the website at irvwpc.com. Invented and Made in and from US and Canadian parts.

Cpsseals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 05:47 PM   #13
Bud
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=Cpsseals;131261]Before tossing out your pump or adding a large tank consider an "IRVWPC" device. No larger than a pack of cigarettes (easy to find space for) and it quiets the pump and makes it much more efficient. Out of the factory, the pump controller is preset to 33 psi and it can be adjusted up to 44 psi. I've installed one in my pleasure way and some in friends units and the difference is amazing. Check out the before and after videos on the website at irvwpc.com. Invented and Made in and from US and Canadian parts.

Very nice. And one can check for leaks! Just turn it off to check for any noise from the pump.

David, if you're reading this, what is ARV's solution?

Thanks,

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 06:37 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Just my opinion, but another reason NOT to use the city connection. So easy just to fill as needed, unless you’re taking 20 gallon showers.
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 07:07 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsseals View Post
Before tossing out your pump or adding a large tank consider an "IRVWPC" device. No larger than a pack of cigarettes (easy to find space for) and it quiets the pump and makes it much more efficient. Out of the factory, the pump controller is preset to 33 psi and it can be adjusted up to 44 psi. I've installed one in my pleasure way and some in friends units and the difference is amazing. Check out the before and after videos on the website at irvwpc.com. Invented and Made in and from US and Canadian parts.

That is expensive gadget, 185 USD. At full flow of water there would be no noise difference with or without this device. Well installed pump with flexible hoses makes no noise. An accumulator will reduce noise and on/off frequency.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 05:50 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTom View Post
Just my opinion, but another reason NOT to use the city connection. So easy just to fill as needed, unless you’re taking 20 gallon showers.
except, if it leaks into the tank when hooked up, it leaks into the tank when pressurized by the pump... just more slowly.

Tags
replacement, water pump