Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2021, 06:00 PM   #21
Platinum Member

My earlier stations were com port based to run on linux. Now I use a usb Davis Pro but you can always add a com to usb device.

Starting with the opensource software I was considering moving my weather station over to https://www.weewx.com/ . It supports numerous stations hardware, written in python and can run on a raspberry pi. I have decided to continue with my old system at the farm which is the defunct wview (https://sourceforge.net/projects/wview/). I moved it to a raspberry pi, rebuilt the Davis Pro and now all is fine.

Fun stuff. This thread is inspiring me to set-up a pi with weewx and get a supported cheap station for long term camping.
MobileCabin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 06:54 PM   #22
Platinum Member

I use the pictured La Cross weather station. It provides a quick weather prediction via continuously updating, every few seconds, running pressure histogram. For outside temperature I place the sensor somewhere on the campsite. Should have a permanent location on the van but didn’t figure out a good location yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GZR03698.jpg (207.7 KB, 9 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 05:40 AM   #23
Platinum Member

I probably do not know more about the ultrasonic sensors than you. They are more expensive, but more robust. Money aside, i think they'd be better for RVing.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 04:00 PM   #24
Bronze Member

I don't own one of these but it is on my wish list. It is almost magic, no moving parts but does rain, wind speed & direction and all the other standard things. Wireless and solar powered.

https://weatherflow.com/tempest-weather-system/
JebTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 04:23 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Looking at the sky plus checking my aneroid barometer is all I need for advanced notice of upcomming weather conditions. YMMV
Peder_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 05:15 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JebTN View Post
I don't own one of these but it is on my wish list. It is almost magic, no moving parts but does rain, wind speed & direction and all the other standard things. Wireless and solar powered.

https://weatherflow.com/tempest-weather-system/
Yes. I have been looking at that one too, ever since Snowy mentioned it.

For all you disinterested eyeballers who comment anyway, don't forget to wet your finger and get wind direction too. You can never have too much data.....er....information.
TygerMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 02:01 AM   #27
Platinum Member

Default weather radip

n0t what you were asking about but, coastly weather radio may give you the info you're talking about ????
mangomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 11:11 AM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerMark View Post
It is ok with me if some people only want a weather half-report.

For most, I suspect these little half stations are more like toys.. "Honey, it is cold outside." "Really? How cold?" "It is 32." That kind if thing.

If you are fishing remote for a week or more without service, especially if you are fishing big water, and you know how to interpret weather data, then you value knowing SSW 5 becoming SSE 12. You have a good idea what will happen for the next two days, and how to plan accordingly.

You don't get that kind of information by looking out some window.

Certainly, a complete weather station isn't for everyone, but it is for me.
I am not denying the value of a weather station, especially in the context cited, but speaking of both weather AND fishing, I thought of this thread yesterday evening as we enjoyed some of the most spectacular mares’ tail clouds I’ve ever seen in Texas.

DH and I have a membership in Texas Airstream Harbor (our Class B is an Airstream), which fronts on Lake Sam Rayburn, sometimes described as the best bass fishing lake in America.

A group of us gathered at the lakeshore for what we call “yappy hour” (we run our dogs off leash) and, among other things, discussed the discrepancy between the weather forecast (which said “no rain”) and the sky (which said “it is absolutely going to rain”).

Who was correct? Us or the weatherman?

It began raining 10 hours after I took this pic:

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote