Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2019, 01:04 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Weboost antenna

Has anyone used the trucker Weboost antenna with the magnetic base on their van while driving? Did it get blown down/off?
dvrdwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:34 PM   #2
Platinum Member

If you’re referring to the 4.5” one, it’s been on our roof about 3 years. Branch dislodged it one time, but it just moved to another spot. Put a piece of tape under it. The magnet collects metal bits that could promote rust if left there. It is marginally effective.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:51 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
It is marginally effective.
That is the key point here.

Consider a WiFi hotspot that accepts MiMo antennas, instead.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:38 PM   #4
Bronze Member

This kind.
dvrdwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:12 PM   #5
Platinum Member

My magnetic antenna is very secure on the roof. The magnet is certainly strong enough. I am satisfied with the Weboost unit. We have had plenty of campsites where we could only get a useful cell signal with the unit on. The only downside is that the unit gets fairly warm and probably has a fairly high amp draw. I am careful to monitor my battery when I am using it but it has never been a problem.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:04 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvrdwn View Post
Has anyone used the trucker Weboost antenna with the magnetic base on their van while driving? Did it get blown down/off?
The suggestion to get a hotspot and mimo antenna is likely to give better results than the weboost but if you do use a weboost then I found that the standard short stubby magnetic mount works better in a small RV than the trucker. Too hard to avoid the amp shutting down due to feedback with the trucker antenna. Less feedback issues with the stubby. If you want to cover a larger area inside you can try one of the small directional indoor antennas but still need to be careful about feedback from the external antenna to the internal antenna.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:09 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
The suggestion to get a hotspot and mimo antenna is likely to give better results than the weboost but if you do use a weboost then I found that the standard short stubby magnetic mount works better in a small RV than the trucker. Too hard to avoid the amp shutting down due to feedback with the trucker antenna. Less feedback issues with the stubby. If you want to cover a larger area inside you can try one of the small directional indoor antennas but still need to be careful about feedback from the external antenna to the internal antenna.
Yes. Feedback is one of several fundamental problems with this technology. If you insist on going this route, consider using a unit with an inside cradle for a single device, rather than trying to rebroadcast within the van. You can then put a WiFi hotspot in the cradle, and use your cell phones in WiFi mode.

Really, though, I wouldn't bother. I speak from a great deal of sad experience and a lot of systematic testing.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:11 PM   #8
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
That is the key point here.

Consider a WiFi hotspot that accepts MiMo antennas, instead.
This is the route I chose and it seems to be working well....It has to because I drilled a 1 inch hole in my roof to mount the antenna Avanti suggested.

Jon
jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:51 AM   #9
Bronze Member

It is more difficult to provide the proper separation between the outside and inside antennas. That is a major factor in not getting good performance out of the WeBoost. It seems counterintuitive to use the lower power model and smaller antenna, but the system has to match the shorter distance between the two antennas in a van versus a big class A. When installed correctly and the model appropriate for the situation, the WeBoost can make a dramatic difference in cell reception. When not properly installed/matched, it can turn into an expensive paperweight and cause you to think the system is garbage. Moderate power output and moderate antenna is key. In my opinion, the trucker antenna will actually hurt more than help. The magnet mini or shorter plastic omnidirectional one is about all that can be used for optimal performance in van life. Opinions will vary on this naturally.
MrMyagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:23 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMyagi View Post
It is more difficult to provide the proper separation between the outside and inside antennas. That is a major factor in not getting good performance out of the WeBoost. It seems counterintuitive to use the lower power model and smaller antenna, but the system has to match the shorter distance between the two antennas in a van versus a big class A. When installed correctly and the model appropriate for the situation, the WeBoost can make a dramatic difference in cell reception. When not properly installed/matched, it can turn into an expensive paperweight and cause you to think the system is garbage. Moderate power output and moderate antenna is key. In my opinion, the trucker antenna will actually hurt more than help. The magnet mini or shorter plastic omnidirectional one is about all that can be used for optimal performance in van life. Opinions will vary on this naturally.

I agree with this. I use the small outside antenna and have it mounted on my Sprinter roof towards the back of the van. I spent at least an hour playing with the position of the outside and inside antennas while I was carefully measuring my cell signal strength with the technique linked below. The position of the antennas made a big difference in the final result. If someone didn't install the Weboost properly, they would claim that it is worthless.

Again, I think mine works pretty well although it can only boost an existing signal. It can't create a cell signal where there isn't one.

https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/blo...the-right-way/
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:57 AM   #11
Site Team

I agree with the above reasoning, as far as it goes. But feedback is only one problem. A much more fundamental one is that any such device, no matter how properly set up, will amplify the noise along with the signal. It is easy to get more bars. It is a lot harder to get a better signal-to-noise ratio, and THAT is what ultimately matters. MiMo can help with that. Signal amplifiers cannot.

People think these things work for three reasons:
1) They compare the performance inside their metal boxes with and without the boosters. They can indeed bring whatever signal exists into the van. This is the only sense in which the actually work. But, you can often do as well by going outside.
2) They look at # of bars, rather than S/N ratio.
3) Plain old placebo effects. Weak signals drift in and out, so it is easy to convince yourself that your expensive device has made a difference.

Believe me, I literally spent years and countless dollars on numerous generations of these products (all the way back to before they were fully-legal). I have used them both in vehicles and a vacation home. I know what I am doing. Once I started making proper measurements rather than relying on A/B tests of subjective performance, it became very clear how marginal they are, and why.

These products are not totally useless, but they are marginal at best. MiMo, on the other hand is a game changer.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:47 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Agree with avanti. I've worked in sound/electronics for over 40 years. Signals have a "noise floor." Less now with the depth of digital, but it's there. Amplify a weak signal and you also amplify the floor. Back in the tape days, that was the whole reason for Dolby and DBX noise reduction systems.

That said, I'm not familiar with the 2 systems being compared and can't attest to the functioning concept of either.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:19 AM   #13
Bronze Member

For those thinking of purchasing a WeBoost, I received a significant reduction in price from a promo code or link that was available via a YouTuber who reviewed the WeBoost. I think his name was RV WITH TITO. Some other YouTubers might have a discount link if the Tito guy doesn't have an active link anymore. I think I saved $50 or so. It was great!
MrMyagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:01 PM   #14
Platinum Member

I have the WeBoost installed and could detect little if any difference in my cell phone signals.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:21 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvrdwn View Post
This kind.
Can you tell me make and model of the picture you posted?? Thanks!
NFRicaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:22 AM   #16
Platinum Member

The Mobile Internet Aficionados seem to be having and aggregating a great deal of experience with both the weBoost system and MIMO antennas plugged directly into a hotspot. Their conclusion as to which is best is, "it depends." They say that you can't know a priori which will work best. My take away is that if you want to be sure you have the best useful signal you can get, use both, but not at the same time. For instance, have the weBoost system set up with the internal antenna next you your hot spot, using the hotspot to broadcast wifi within the RV. If you have poor data rates, try turning off the weBoost, and plugging the antenna ports of an external MIMO antenna directly into the hotspot. At each site, you can do A/B testing to see what works best at that site.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 01:46 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
At each site, you can do A/B testing to see what works best at that site.

I’ve generally followed this MIA advice for a couple years and have not found a location where the weboost amplifier improves on the performance of my mobile hotspot (Verizon 7730L) connected to an external MIMO antenna. Such places apparently exist, but my experience so far is that they are quite rare, including remote locations with a very weak signal.
Arlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:35 AM   #18

Newbie question here. What are the routes for getting that stubby antenna cable inside a van?
Roadtrips Of Unusual Size is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:20 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlo View Post
I’ve generally followed this MIA advice for a couple years and have not found a location where the weboost amplifier improves on the performance of my mobile hotspot (Verizon 7730L) connected to an external MIMO antenna. Such places apparently exist, but my experience so far is that they are quite rare, including remote locations with a very weak signal.
Which external MIMO antenna are you using?
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:44 AM   #20
Platinum Member

Default Weboost antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
Which external MIMO antenna are you using?

I primarily use the Antenna Plus AP-CC with the magnet mount, referred to on their web site as “double cell/LTE”. Have also used the Netgear 6000450 MIMO directional antenna a few times with good results, consistent with reviews on the MIA site.
Arlo is offline   Reply With Quote