Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2014, 04:27 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Default Re: Well, what you've been waiting for...Transit motorhomes

I predict the exact opposite. In a few years, the Transit will be the most used chassis for "B's." It will certainly be at least somewhat cheaper than a Mercedes and there is a huge existing support network for parts and repairs. There is no chance the B companies will ignore this chassis. My Roadtrek dealer told me that they have been working on an initial Transit model for years.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 05:09 PM   #22
Platinum Member

The Transit at 22 feet will hit the sweet spot for a Class B in size. It is slightly longer and wider than the old Sprinter T1N model that started the Euro van invasion. Compared to the T1N Sprinter the Promaster is coming up short in capacity expectations that the Transit should meet or exceed.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 07:49 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Well, I wouldn't be so sure about Transits, or B development in general. If gas prices remain at their current level, or drop further for an extended period (like 6 months or a year), I expect sales of B's to plummet.

People are generally stupid and have short memories. Low fuel prices will undoubtably lead to going to bigger RV's.

Right now may be the end of a golden age for the B.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:51 PM   #24
Platinum Member

I'm just going into opinion territory here, but I would be genuinely surprised if gas prices were not back up to what they were a year ago. OPEC (namely Saudi Arabia) has significantly slowed down export and other players will be doing the same. China isn't going anywhere, and is a quite thirsty nation when it comes to oil. ISIS is still out there and the second they take out an oil well or other target, prices will hit the stratosphere.

My guess is that the only reason why OPEC even let oil prices drop (they control production, so if demand drops, they just curb supply) is because shale oil, fracking, and solar/wind initiatives were eating their lunch. With this price drop, it will slow down alternative energy production... but it won't stop it like it did in the 1980s when Reagan tossed the PV panels from the White House. The solar industry has gained enough critical mass that they are a separate market than oil now, and PV panel improvements are going to be continuing. The US isn't the only market now, and Europe, China, South America, and Africa are gobbling up solar panels (they don't have the oil dependency we do), so if the US snubs PV panels, other countries will happily buy them.

Part of me thinks wincrasher is right... we will get a bunch of people forgetting 2008 and going for the cheaply built "A"s and the huge fifth wheel models because they have 10 television sets and four Playstations. I hope not. "B"s really have a perfect niche as a second vehicle, and with the perils of travelling, it is a lot more comfortable to do a two day trip in a "B" than to fly and get a hotel room where the bedbugs are out of control.

If all goes well, "B"s in the US could evolve more European features, such as multi-level drop-down beds (similar to how a toy hauler can drop down two queen beds), and could handle a family of four fairly decently.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 02:50 PM   #25
Platinum Member

I'm hoping that we see Ford Transit based Class B's.

From the Mercedes Sprinter, Ford Transit, Ram Promaster Compared topic here: http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...php?f=9&t=2584

Two differences stand out. One is wheel base - will that allow a tighter turning radius? The other is the maximum interior height. Will that allow for a good depth cavity under a sub-floor? For DIY I'd consider putting tanks, batteries, plumbing, wiring, some storage etc. under the sub floor. The sub floor could be raised in cupboards or under bunks to allow taller items. All plumbing could be inside.

A Class B with a heated "basement"!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg compare the vans new_format.JPG (98.5 KB, 212 views)
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 03:39 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Short wheelbase may put the Transit at a disadvantages when all loaded up and in the wind. It is pretty short.

Are the Promaster mirrors really that big. They wouldn't go through our 9' wide garage doors, at least with me driving.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 03:40 PM   #27
Platinum Member

I thought of a false floor as well (forgot which topic I posted it into), and that would make a great place for additional, custom shaped tanks, as well as a plenum for a furnace that would not just keep the floor warm, but help with plumbing and provide a way to add heat ducts almost anywhere.

On the other hand, the engineering for that may be too much cost for the reward. Instead, the few inches of extra height can make some useful living space, be it larger overhead cabinets, larger floor to ceiling cabinets, and other items. It might even allow for space for a Danhard A/C without taking up too much interior room.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote