Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2014, 06:20 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Well, what you've been waiting for...Transit motorhomes

I saw someone's DIY conversion last week on Interstate 81 at a rest stop. I was nothing to really talk about, so I didn't mention it.

Here's something a bit more professional....

[youtube:3p7ban5l]RC8ZT3ZkmEE[/youtube:3p7ban5l]

What!? A front layout? They must be CRAZY!!
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:32 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Well, what you've been waiting for...Transit motorhomes

That's an extremely short model and shorter than the short Sprinter they sell in America. The short Sprinter hasn't got too much traction (Agile and Ascent) in America. I would imagine the converters will be looking at the 22 ft. model.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 03:37 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I agree. LWB will be the preferred chassis.
Fastpaddler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:22 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Yes, I agree too. As I stated on another forum, if you are going this short, then the Promaster offers you more in the way of space (wider van) and possibly room under the van for "stuff".

Transit will be a good alternative to the Sprinter on the longer platform. Probably will be offered as deisel only in Europe, as most of these vans are. It will be interesting in how it is marketed and competes with Mercedes over there. Maybe a cheaper alternative, but I don't know. Ford hasn't really been offering it's products as a value option these days.

One thing I find interesting in the layout presented above was the L shaped kitchen. You don't see many of those, or any with it across the back of the van. Also I was wondering about the practicality of having that big door opening to the bathroom with the loo blocking the doorway. Other than accessing the cassette, I don't see any point in that door opening.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:30 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher
Yes, I agree too. As I stated on another forum, if you are going this short, then the Promaster offers you more in the way of space (wider van) and possibly room under the van for "stuff".

Transit will be a good alternative to the Sprinter on the longer platform. Probably will be offered as deisel only in Europe, as most of these vans are. It will be interesting in how it is marketed and competes with Mercedes over there. Maybe a cheaper alternative, but I don't know. Ford hasn't really been offering it's products as a value option these days.

One thing I find interesting in the layout presented above was the L shaped kitchen. You don't see many of those, or any with it across the back of the van. Also I was wondering about the practicality of having that big door opening to the bathroom with the loo blocking the doorway. Other than accessing the cassette, I don't see any point in that door opening.

wincrasher- i think roadtrek promaster will have a more practical floorplan for 2 people.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:36 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Maybe depending on how "big" they are.

I'm sure it will be a VERY nice van. But I think I have been right all along - the Chevy vans are going to go away and the Promasters will take their place. So far the three leading manufacturers look headed this way (Winnebago, Roadtrek & Pleasureway). Expect Sprinters to remain their premium offerings.

BTW, did you notice in the video how much room and what kind of insulation they were putting in those wall cavities? Encouraging! One negative I see is that the cabinetry looks like particle board. If true that is not good from a quality, but also a weight perspective - that crap is heavy. I hope it's not true.

Still where does that leave Transit? Mid-level? Or premium, but gas chassis?

Oh, do any of you guys remember me posting back in September that a local dealer got a Transit in? He still has it! He ain't budging on the price and it's the only one he has. Go figure.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:40 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I do not think chevy roadtreks will go away until Chevy stops making the chassis.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:43 PM   #8
Platinum Member

You may be right on that - they could also buy some stock as they get discontinued. So you could still see them offering them for a while.

But if you can get a more spacious van for the same or less money, it gets to be a tough sell unless you are differentiating it in some other way.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:08 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51
I do not think chevy roadtreks will go away until Chevy stops making the chassis.
We should bookmark this quote.

Seriously, Jim Hammill specifically said they were developing the Promaster for a low budget market. That would be directly in competition with the Chevys as it stands today. Then if the Ford Transit becomes a viable option with better length, layout potential and heavy payload (bigger tank capacities), it would probably doom the Chevys as I doubt Roadtrek would continue to build off four platforms. The other plus is they could pretty much eliminate or reduce their fiberglass works. That has to be appealing from a business standpoint.

Leisure Travel Vans dropped their Chevy Bs simply because they weren't selling. They can't keep up with their Sprinter Bs and small Class Cs.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:14 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
Quote:
We should bookmark this quote.

Seriously, Jim Hammill specifically said they were developing the Promaster for a low budget market. That would be directly in competition with the Chevys as it stands today. Then if the Ford Transit becomes a viable option with better length, layout potential and heavy payload (bigger tank capacities), it would probably doom the Chevys as I doubt Roadtrek would continue to build off four platforms. The other plus is they could pretty much eliminate or reduce their fiberglass works. That has to be appealing from a business standpoint.

Leisure Travel Vans dropped their Chevy Bs simply because they weren't selling. They can't keep up with their Sprinter Bs and small Class Cs.

Yes Davydd-you should bookmark it-lol=
Old 11-21-2014, 02:40 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
That's an extremely short model and shorter than the short Sprinter they sell in America. The short Sprinter hasn't got too much traction (Agile and Ascent) in America. I would imagine the converters will be looking at the 22 ft. model.
Remember this video was made for the European market. RV's are used quite differently on the other side of the ocean.

Quote:
?Yes, I agree too. As I stated on another forum, if you are going this short, then the Promaster offers you more in the way of space (wider van) and possibly room under the van for "stuff".
Haven't seen the new ProMaster in person yet, but with its lower floor, I assume there will be less room under the van as well.?

Quote:
?Expect Sprinters to remain their premium offerings.
My impression is that, based on a similar engine (in this case a diesel), prices are not so different from say the Transit. Except that with the Ford, you'll have the choice of a gas engine too.
In general prices are very similar for the big three (Ram, Ford and MB); rebates may make a difference. Choice probably should focus more on maintenance (more expensive for MB) and quality (in Europe, many see the Transit as a better vehicle than the ProMaster (Fiat Ducato).

Van Williams

CargoVanConversion.com
cargovanconversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:27 AM   #12
rtz
Bronze Member

The Class B makers seem slow on the development on the Transit platform.
rtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 03:23 PM   #13
Platinum Member

I think Transits are sort of in the no-mans-land territory. On the gasser end, a ProMaster is inexpensive, is built for keeping upkeep costs as low as possible, and suits the job of what fleets buy fans for quite well. On the high end, the Sprinter is king there, especially with 4WD available.

I would guess that class "B" upfitters would be concerned with product range overlap. A diesel Transit fully decked out can be close to a Sprinter in price, and for the lower range models, a gasser Transit may cost too much compared to the PM.

For personal experience, I was calculating costs with SMB and a Transit upfit. It definitely was cheaper than a Sprinter, but was notably more expensive than the Winnebago Travato, for not that many more options. Would it drive better in the mountains? By far, as it wouldn't gasp for air at higher elevations.

The ironic thing is that for a gasser "B", the Transit is the best game in town, as it has the 22 feet length and the high roof, so for a custom rig, especially once SMB starts upfitting them with four wheel drive, it would be the best thing going. However, I just don't see any big name RV maker mass producing on this chassis.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 03:28 PM   #14
Platinum Member

the transit deployment kept getting pushed back.it will happen just later than then the promaster
Old 12-24-2014, 05:49 PM   #15
Platinum Member

I think the ship has sailed so to speak. You hear nothing of any of the majors prototyping Transit conversions. Nothing and no show activity. Probably they have spent all their development money for the year on Promasters. Maybe next year, but I think they'll have a hard time justifying a third platform unless customers are just clambering for it.

Transits have been shipping for almost 6 months now. I did see a passenger version the other day (the one with the glass side windows). It's an odd look. Noticed it's definitely wider at the top than at the wheels. My local dealer still has the van that I posted back in September. He can't move it for some reason.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:58 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
the transit deployment kept getting pushed back.it will happen just later than then the promaster
I agree that it will happen a little later.

In comparison with the Sprinter, the prices are similar (for the diesel) but Fords Dealer network is way more extensive and prices for parts have been relatively less expensive than Mercedes'.

With regard to the ProMaster, which is a repackaged European Fiat Ducato, over the years my European friends have been generally more favorable towards the Transit.

From what I've heard and read, Ford has better driving, yet ProMaster may have an advantage with the rear wheel drive, although I don't know how that will work out on the American market. At the same time, Ford may still bring a rear wheel drive to the market, as they very likely will do with a 4WD.

Let's wait and see.

Van Williams.

CargoVanConversion.com
Old 12-25-2014, 02:12 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargovanconversion
Quote:

In comparison with the Sprinter, the prices are similar (for the diesel) but Fords Dealer network is way more extensive and prices for parts have been relatively less expensive than Mercedes'.

With regard to the ProMaster, which is a repackaged European Fiat Ducato, over the years my European friends have been generally more favorable towards the Transit.

From what I've heard and read, Ford has better driving, yet ProMaster may have an advantage with the rear wheel drive, although I don't know how that will work out on the American market. At the same time, Ford may still bring a rear wheel drive to the market, as they very likely will do with a 4WD.

Let's wait and see.

Van Williams.
Unless I'm misreading what I'm reading??? The ProMaster is front wheel drive, the North American Transit is rear wheel drive.
Also, I've seen pics of the Transit 4wd that Sportsmobile is using. Same supplier as before, Quigley

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 02:37 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargovanconversion
Quote:

Let's wait and see.

Van Williams.
Unless I'm misreading what I'm reading??? The ProMaster is front wheel drive, the North American Transit is rear wheel drive.
Also, I've seen pics of the Transit 4wd that Sportsmobile is using. Same supplier as before, Quigley
My apologies. I got the front and rear wheel drive mixed up. I was probably looking backwards!
I heard about the Transit 4WD, but hadn't seen any pics yet.

Thanks for correcting,

Van Williams.

CargoVanConversion.com
Old 12-25-2014, 02:47 PM   #19
Platinum Member

In Europe, there is also a smaller version of the Transit that more like a mini-van in proportion. That one is front wheel drive. Westfalia does a nice, modular style conversion on it.
Old 12-25-2014, 03:40 PM   #20
Platinum Member

How does a very basic, stripped down, Sprinter compare in price to a Transit (if they even make such an animal)? If they can get even close to the Transit price for the van, I doubt there would be any incentive to make a Transit B. As was said by others, there would really be no market for the Transit to go after, except for the folks that wanted a very high powered gasser.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote